• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I was excited to start my hunting season by nabbing a few squirrels today at Myrtle Grove. Granted, I did get out there a little later than I was hoping, but it was still morning and the weather was nice. I didn't see a single squirrel. I did run into a couple of dudes that said they'd been out there since sunrise and hadn't seen anything, either. I don't think I've ever been out there and have never seen at least one squirrel in the treetop.

Did the Charles County squirrels all die of covid? Lol. Jk. But still it was eery.

Last edited:

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Typically when there a lot of squirrels in an area and they have young the young when older will not stay in the area. The older squirrels live about 6 years so a couple hunting seasons they get scarce. The squirrels that left their young will leave and move to a different area and the cycle keeps repeating. It is a pattern mother nature devised to plant new trees as squirrels berry their nuts. This year may be a dry year in some areas and a boom in others.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I watched one spend about an hour burying black walnuts in my backyard today. Apparently he didn't get the holiday off.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    15 of the little fuzzy tailed rats under my deer feeder today right up til dark.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I watched one spend about an hour burying black walnuts in my backyard today. Apparently he didn't get the holiday off.

*****A fiscally conservative squirrel! Probably saving for a rainy or snowy day so it doesn't go hungry in the Winter. Very very smart. Mebbe even.....:

Attachments

• jenius.jpg
      jenius.jpg
      14.4 KB · Views: 504

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Seems to be plenty around my neck of Frederick County. Nearly ran-over two of them on Ballenger Creek yesterday.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    They all died of lead poisoning at my home in Laplata last winter when they chewed into the wiring 2x on my Raptor truck and cost me $1200 in repairs.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Typically when there a lot of squirrels in an area and they have young the young when older will not stay in the area. The older squirrels live about 6 years so a couple hunting seasons they get scarce. The squirrels that left their young will leave and move to a different area and the cycle keeps repeating. It is a pattern mother nature devised to plant new trees as squirrels berry their nuts. This year may be a dry year in some areas and a boom in others.

Huh. Thanks for the synopsis.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Squirrels follow food sources. They will vacate an area to go up to several miles to fruiting trees. White oaks draw them, as do walnuts & hickories. My uncle in Alabama had a grove of pecan trees and for 11 months of the year, there wasn't a squirrel on the farm.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ha

rotation of crops :)

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I grew up with squirrels galore in Silver Spring MD, black ones too, in fact. Living in Timonium now, I see more bunnies than squirrels. I almost never saw rabbits in Silver Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom