• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belgian Bad A$$

Tired of being ignored, living the single life!
    Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Would like to hear experiences of any lady competitors. I am a retired competitive rollerskater and would love to get into competitive shooting. I am a member of GSSF and would like to register for an event sometime. TIA!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Would like to hear experiences of any lady competitors. I am a retired competitive rollerskater and would love to get into competitive shooting. I am a member of GSSF and would like to register for an event sometime. TIA!

Well, you've certainly come to the right place to ask. What type of competitive shooting interests you the most? Handgun? Rifle? Shotgun?

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Competitive shooting

Well, you've certainly come to the right place to ask. What type of competitive shooting interests you the most? Handgun? Rifle? Shotgun?
    Well i have 3 glocks so definitely handgun. I prefer steel now over paper. When i skated the pressure was terrible. But i managed to focus and didnt do too bad. Im curious to know how they play out. Ive been shooting my rifle and really enjoy that as well. But not sure whats out there for ARs. Looking to step up my game!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Steel Challenge is a great way to get your feet wet. VERY low pressure, good clean fun.

There's a 7-bay (unsanctioned) steel match at AGC in Marriottsville, MD tomorrow (Sat, Feb 1). Shooting starts at 9:00AM ... prolly until noon-ish. If you don't mind the drive east from your location, it's a good way to see how such things are conducted. It's also cruel, because after watching for five minutes you'll really, really want to shoot, too. But I can hardly think of a better type of event for getting in the mood without any of that pressure happening. Check it (or another SC event) out - you'll like it. Definitely a starter drug for several related disciplines that do get more competitive.

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Steel Challenge is a great way to get your feet wet. VERY low pressure, good clean fun.

There's a 7-bay (unsanctioned) steel match at AGC in Marriottsville, MD tomorrow (Sat, Feb 1). Shooting starts at 9:00AM ... prolly until noon-ish. If you don't mind the drive east from your location, it's a good way to see how such things are conducted. It's also cruel, because after watching for five minutes you'll really, really want to shoot, too. But I can hardly think of a better type of event for getting in the mood without any of that pressure happening. Check it (or another SC event) out - you'll like it. Definitely a starter drug for several related disciplines that do get more competitive.

Help me out....what is AGC?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Help me out....what is AGC?

Associated Gun Clubs. Nice shooting facility with a ... complex membership arrangement. But events like tomorrow's Steel Challenge are open to anybody (registration is online, in advance, and does fill up pretty quickly).

https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

They've just (in the last few months) been getting their action bay events under way, but it's coming along nicely. Here's a very quick slapped-together video from a Steel Challenge event there a couple of months back, for some flavor:

https://vimeo.com/374179445/c24ba7fac0

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Well i have 3 glocks so definitely handgun. I prefer steel now over paper. When i skated the pressure was terrible. But i managed to focus and didnt do too bad. Im curious to know how they play out. Ive been shooting my rifle and really enjoy that as well. But not sure whats out there for ARs. Looking to step up my game!

Agree with Occam. Steel Challenge is big fun. I shoot a few steel matches during the course of a year but I'm totally obsessed with bowling pins and have been for quite some time.

If Marriottsville isn't too far of a haul from Washington County, Steel Challenge at AGC would be a great opportunity. Can't say how many of the other shooters there will be women but you probably won't be the only one.

Belgian Bad A$$

Feb 18, 2018
    Washington County, MD
    Associated Gun Clubs. Nice shooting facility with a ... complex membership arrangement. But events like tomorrow's Steel Challenge are open to anybody (registration is online, in advance, and does fill up pretty quickly).

https://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

They've just (in the last few months) been getting their action bay events under way, but it's coming along nicely. Here's a very quick slapped-together video from a Steel Challenge event there a couple of months back, for some flavor:

https://vimeo.com/374179445/c24ba7fac0

You are right Occam, the membership does seems complex. Do you know if you have to be a member in order to attend and watch? I wont be able to make it tomorrow as i am working but will keep an eye on the schedule for another steel challange.

That video you posted is awesome! Looks fun but it looks like a lot of requirements. Aint scared though. I would, however, be nervous. Ha!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You are right Occam, the membership does seems complex. Do you know if you have to be a member in order to attend and watch? I wont be able to make it tomorrow as i am working but will keep an eye on the schedule for another steel challange.

That video you posted is awesome! Looks fun but it looks like a lot of requirements. Aint scared though. I would, however, be nervous. Ha!

Definitely do NOT need to be a member to come watch. Everyone is very friendly and always ready to addict new people.

Requirements aren’t so bad! Ear protection, wrap-around eye protection. A pistol (9mm is most common, rimfire is also a thing). Don’t even need a holster/rig - you can shoot from low ready, and just bag the gun between stages. Helps to have several magazines if you got ‘em. If you participate, just tell the range officer you’re one of the noobs, and you will be very well and safely taken care of, walked through everything.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Hey! Like others have said, Steel Challenge is a great way to get your feet wet in competition. It's competitive, but it's fun to compete against yourself too. You generally do 5 strings at each stage, so you can try to improve each string. Once you get to know people, there is generally good natured trash talking, excuse making, alibis, and congratulating. It is absolutely free to show up and watch. Just bring eyes and ears. The steel challenge matches at AGC are not yet affiliated, so they do some extra fun stuff too.

AGC also has 3 gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun) that can also be done as 2 gun (rifle, pistol). For rifle, AR's are the standard platform there's a lot more movement in 3 gun than steel challenge. And there's generally someone willing to lend a shotgun if you are new and are trying to figure out what to buy.

York Isaac Walton League does a lot of 3 gun as well, and I'm sure there are others around. 3 gun is equipment intensive. Steel Challenge is easier to get started. You can even shoot from the low ready position instead of drawing from a holster if you'd like.

There's usually a couple other ladies at events as well. I won't be there tomorrow for steel, but my hubby will. He will be RO'ing a squad and has a really great squad of people who would love to show off their equipment and tell you all about it. Really anyone is generally happy to show off their stuff! And being a woman, so therefore a unicorn, they are even happier to.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Practice makes perfect. Be careful with Glocks they have a tendency to multiply....I started off with 1.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I believe Cindi Thomas at Flat Broke shoots at the championship level. She and her husband Steve own Flatbroke Shooters in Lexington Park.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you want some inspiration, look up justine williams. she smoked everyone on my squad down at uspsa nationals a few months ago and most everyone at the match.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Metal is good because it is fun - you can hear them get hit and see them drop. Coupled with the smells on the range and the feel of recoil, pretty much all the normal senses get used.

I'd also recommend Bullseye or classic pistol shooting. It is paper but it balances skill sets nicely with action style shooting. I greatly enjoy taking brand new folks out and teaching them to shoot then turning them loose with big targets at the 50 yd line. If it is safe to do and the range allows it, I like to set up some empty soda cans and tennis balls that far so they can chase them as well. Since the OP already has several Glocks, she may need to forget what "one can do with a pistol" and really learn.

Highpower rifle is also fun and a slightly different skill set but the basic fundamentals apply. It is so neat to watch somebody who never shot at a rifle target more than a 100 yds nail the 6" X ring 6 football fields away with iron sights. Recent rule changes with low power scopes are cool too and hopefully will keep some of the older folks trigger pulling for more years.

Pretty much any competitive shooting event will allow spectators/observers. If possible, they may slip a noob onto a line with borrowed gear/guns/ammo if they want to see what it is really like. Fully booked matches, realistically any sort of 'run and gun' shooting, and other events that require a baseline knowledge level will be 'watch only' at first.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We had several ladies shoot Steel Challenge today at AGC including one who is on the protective detail for Attorney General Bill Barr.

I'll agree with the others, steel challenge is a great introduction to the action shooting sports and the mixing of traditional steel challenge stages and some "outlaw" stages that are run at AGC push the fun factor up a few notches. Well worth the drive from out west.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Those videos are great. This is the first time that I have seen Katie in action. We will have to show up to observe soon. I got hooked on steel at a gun range in WV last year. I will have to keep an eye on the event schedule.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads