• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I have been having a really hard time getting my mags out of my 10/22, sometimes to the point I have to pry em with a screwdriver while pressing the mag release. I swapped my hogue overmold out and put a wooden stock and no difference. I also tried 2 different mags and no difference. This all leads me to believe the problem is in the receiver. Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next? These are factory rotary mags btw. The rifle has been cleaned well and dirtied up again and nothing changed. The rotary mags are a little dirty but nothing that would cause this.

Last edited:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've seen that. Usually the mag (10 round -- not an issue with the bigger ones because you have a handle with which to extract them...) will drop out freely if you hold the rifle level and let gravity do the work. Just a little off horizontal can cause it to hang up. If that ain't cuttin it you may have to have a smith look at it, or send it back to Ruger. might be worth calling them first...

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I'll try holding it level I have heard that before. It really doesn't feel like that is the case. If I had to describe it I would say its almost like the may release isn't being pushed hard enough but once you pry the other end of the may it pops out. Nearly impossible without prying though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Huh, weird problem. Mine always dropped free. How new is the rifle? If it's still under warranty, I'd ask Ruger to look at it.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Its a few years old. It never used to do this, I gave it to my brother and he recently gave it back and its been like this since. I've put a few bulk boxes through it and it shoots great.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Actually, now that I think of it, doesn't Ruger have a lifetime service policy? I'd just contact them and see what they can do for you.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Ill try to get pics up this afternoon. I will call Ruger eventually but I hate to deal with all that except as a last resort. I will be honest I havent fully disassembled it for cleaning but looking at it with the stock off I just cant imagine where it could be gummed up. Once you take the stock off you can easily get at and see everything anywhere near the magazine as far as I can tell. before I call ruger I will disassemble every last part and GI the entire thing.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Holy crap, I just tried holding it level and the may literally fell right out and its working fine that way. I never would have thought that would work, I just tried it to exhaust my options! Lol thanks!

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    gravity is your friend!

I love a happy ending.

I'd still give it all a thorough cleaning. Hoppes No 9 is also your friend:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom