• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I just picked up a Hoyt Dorado 50# Recurve from Macrotech on Friday (Some of you might have seen this one as I have been eyeballing on that rack atleast since early last year) and I was a little nervous that I had went a little overboard for my first recurve but I have spent the last 2 days shooting this thing and my arm is about to fall off yet I want to go shoot it again today!

I felt like I was just starting to pick up with the compound pretty well and I got my first deer last year with it and I have been itching to learn to shoot a recurve. I would like to become proficient enough to hunt with this one day. Does anybody have one of these or a comparable recurve that has some tips or advice for a newbie? or websites or somewhere that teaches this type of bow? All of my friends use compounds so I feel sort of on my own when I take this one out to shoot with them. I am hitting grouping on a 20yrd target but really not well and not consistent at all, I am doing better on the 10 yard but still need alot of practice. I am using the same arrows that I use on my compound and it is trashing the vanes so I am hoping to get a seperate set of feathered arrows next paycheck, that is another thing that I am not really sure about and would love some advice on.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    recurve bows

Boy are you in for it now-traditional bows are like guns (also like tattoos and potato chips)- you cant have too many. Get some old copies of Traditional Bowhunter magazine and read that and Asbell's (sp?) book. Buy some Cedar feather fletch arrows with glue on tips-and shoot at 10 and 15 yards and varied distances - instinctive shooting is like throwing a baseball--there are no sight pins on a base ball--if that bow is capable of it learn to shoot from the shelf-make a rest from Bearhair and Moleskin---you will probably never group arrows in an inch like a compound but if you can hit a paper plate all the time you will kill dear--and you can sharpen your broadheads with a file and a crockstick. A heavy cedar arrow at 180 fps will pass thru like you woudnt believe.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Welcome to traditional archery! A great resource is stickbow.com with links etc. Also, the baltimore bowman have a big shoot coming up and that is an awesome place to meet fellow traditional archers and learn a ton. You will find that folks who shoot recurves and longbows are much more laid back and not so serious as the guys with training wheels. A great way to train is a soccer ball (foam) that you kick around the yard at various distances and shoot. Use a judo point and you won't lose your arrow. PM me if you would ever like to shoot. And good luck, traditional is infinetely more satisfying than a recurve!

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Boy are you in for it now-traditional bows are like guns (also like tattoos and potato chips)- you cant have too many.

Oh I know, Im not even into the whole traditional thing I just want a bit simpler and classier bow. I hadnt even managed to drive this one home and I was already thinking about which other ones I wanted to buy

The guy at macrotech was shooting at 20 yards with his recurve and many of the arrows were touching! and he was doing it much faster than I could shoot my compound bow. I was shocked that you could actually do that with a recurve. I think he just pulled it out because he got tired of watching me fumble around and miss everything:lol: he was also nailing a small quarter sized peice of paper or something on a string that they hang in front of the 20 yard target.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Just wait til you realize how easy it is to hit moving targets! A traditional bow is more of an extension of where you want an arrow to go. You will learn very quickly how cumbersome sights actually are. Remember, a paper plate at 20 yards is a kill!

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    Welcome to real shooting,loads of fun and don't go crazy on the arrows.I shoot everything off my recurves,alum,carbon,wood and most with feathers.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Ive been told to just shoot anything through it by most but recommended to use feathers, if I have a 28 1/2 inch draw shooting through this 50# bow does anybody have a recommendation for what arrows I should buy? I am really just looking for something that is somewhat durable and matching and alot of them to save me trips walking downrange. Plus I just like to have a bunch of arrows. :D

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Here is a pic of the with the Dorado I took today at Gunpowder. Yes I am using sights dont go to hard on me I am learning. :) Once I get a little more advance I do intend on taking them off and right now I am considering getting rid of the crappy plastic rest it comes with and using the shelf and maybe putting some moleskin on it or something.

Attachments

• bows.jpg
      bows.jpg
      135.6 KB · Views: 134

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    No but I was thinking today I would like to join one. I read about an event next weekend for Baltimore Bowmen that I am interested in checking out and maybe bringing another friend who is also just getting into the sport but I dont know anybody or what I should bring, I was just gonna show up with some cash and check it out.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I thought that shaft might run too stiff also but Gold Tip and Easton always round up to the next block. Too stiff a spine, you can always run a heavier point to weaken the spine.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    There is a club on Honeygo next to Joppa elementry I belong to.Md game &fish,Vingt Neuf archery.They have a 3 D shoot tonight starting at 5 pm,its a fun shoot held every Tuesday till sept. come on by check it out.Lot of good folks there.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    What's the charge for the fun shoot? And anytime after 5 or must I be promt? I work in White Marsh and that would be cool after work.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    There is a club on Honeygo next to Joppa elementry I belong to.Md game &fish,Vingt Neuf archery.They have a 3 D shoot tonight starting at 5 pm,its a fun shoot held every Tuesday till sept. come on by check it out.Lot of good folks there.

I like the location because theres alot of other things to do around there but my work scedule would really make that a hard one to do. I might look into that club anyhow though.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I believe $5 for members and $8-10 for visitor. They have a 14 target walk through,10 yards out 80 yards not including broadhead area and pratice butt's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom