Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 16th, 2020, 05:51 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbelt11 View Post
Ya believe me Iím gonna learn but this is my first time really doing any hunting so. For this first time I just donít wanna mess it up. With it being around 60-70 degrees how much time do I have to have it all cut up and frozen ?
From the time it hits the ground? If not full of gut juice or feces, call it 3, 4hrs or so. Itís not some panicked rush.

Faster you get it field dressed, more tie you have as it cools the meat a lot faster than the deer laying there whole. Want to buy more time, throw a 10# bag of ice in the chest cavity and cover it.

Thatís a rough guideline. I am sure plenty have taken longer and itís been fine. Heck, 5 or so hours is probably fine even. It is when it is hot, gut shot and you canít find the deer is when time is of the essence.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 06:00 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
From the time it hits the ground? If not full of gut juice or feces, call it 3, 4hrs or so. Itís not some panicked rush.

Faster you get it field dressed, more tie you have as it cools the meat a lot faster than the deer laying there whole. Want to buy more time, throw a 10# bag of ice in the chest cavity and cover it.

Thatís a rough guideline. I am sure plenty have taken longer and itís been fine. Heck, 5 or so hours is probably fine even. It is when it is hot, gut shot and you canít find the deer is when time is of the essence.
Ok cool that makes me feel more comfortable . Another probably dumb question what would I like really need to do the whole process myself ?
Jbelt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 06:58 PM #13

I wouldn't recommend Bowmans. Not in Harford County but if you don't mind driving to Cecil County you could take it to Bucklands or to the Harmony Ridge drop off in Elkton. Harmony Ridge to pick it up you have to go to PA to get it.

NRA Member
MSI Member
Maryland Designated Collector
C&R FFL
05dodgedaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:23 PM #14

Quote:
Ok cool that makes me feel more comfortable . Another probably dumb question what would I like really need to do the whole process myself ?
This time of year, field dress it, bag the liver, heart in the field, get it home, hang from a tree, hose it out, then cape and quarter it after removing the back strap and t-loins. You can age the quarters in the fridge but I would wrap them in plastic food wrap. You can also age (3 days) the quarters in a big cooler w/o wrapping. I recommend a rack or anything to keep the dear deer from soaking in bloody cooler water that will turn the meat grey.

Everyone that has posted is correct in that you should do it yourself to ensure quality. Just remember you can make hamburger out of stew meat at any time but can't make stew meat out of hamburger :-).

Tools:

Wyoming knife (nice for field dress and caping) or one of those scaple type knifes w/ the removable blades. This tool is the absolute best for just about everything.
Fillet knife (optional)
Any decent Buck, or fixed blade hunting knife
6" and 12" butcher knife
Heavy meat cleaver or battery or 110v Sawsall w/ a medium blade (great for sawing off the fore limbs, head or anything a manual bone saw would do.(Dwalt makes an excellent saws all)
Big ass cutting board
2 Large trays (I prefer the aluminum bakers trays 24x36" are nice
Some sort of Vac Pack device (optional) or a ton of Zip locks for freezing meat.
Make or buy a deer hanger/spreader so you can hoist the animal head down for butchering
Line or some sort of tackle to raise the deer attached to the spreader to a convenient height.

Ytube is your friend on this one.

Good luck.
hobiecat590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2020, 07:27 PM #15

Quote:
You need a cooler, a table and good knife, packaging materials, and a grinder.

Shoot the deer, gut it, bring it home. Hang from a tree or in the garage or shed. Skin it. If it's warm, quarter it and put the quarters on top of ice blocks in the cooler. Cut out the rest of the meat, bag and let it all sit in the cooler a few days. If it's cold enough, hang the whole thing a few days first.

Cut the quarters into steaks and roasts. Grind the scraps, mixing in a little fat if you like. Package and freeze.

That's really it. Tons of youtube videos to detail each step.
gwchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 09:55 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05dodgedaytona View Post
I wouldn't recommend Bowmans. Not in Harford County but if you don't mind driving to Cecil County you could take it to Bucklands or to the Harmony Ridge drop off in Elkton. Harmony Ridge to pick it up you have to go to PA to get it.
X2. Used Bowman's last year and they cut the deer like beef. Left all of the hard fat and silver skin on it, that are normally removed. Deer fat is not like beef fat, very bitter.
Old September 17th, 2020, 05:57 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
X2. Used Bowman's last year and they cut the deer like beef. Left all of the hard fat and silver skin on it, that are normally removed. Deer fat is not like beef fat, very bitter.
Yuk....I can only imagine how bad the ground meat would be.At least with the steaks/roasts,you could trim it before cooking.
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 06:48 PM #18
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantrapper View Post
I watched a guy at a processor grind about 40 pounds of deer parts from several different deer at the same time. Into sleeves and distributed to different customers.
Since I only plan on shooting yearlings and younger, I'll be doing my own. I don't want veal mixed in with someone's old and tough 12 point. Yuck.
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:10 PM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
My previous recomendations were for hanging deer in temps over 50F. 35- 45F is Ok for hanging deer for 3 days to tenderize. I keep the cape on while hanging. YMMV

Ick. Deer fat is like peanut butter or thicker and is why I do not mess w/ the ribs and meticulously trim ALL fat.

Allegedly, you can cook deer ribs and get rid of the nasty fat if you use a large pot and slow boil them but I have never done so. On a large deer, this might be worth while.

If anybody has experience w/ bear ribs, I'd like to know about it since bear fat is OK and I'd hate to waste anything as large as a bear rib cage.
hobiecat590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2020, 03:43 PM #20

You dont have to cut it all up, wrap and freeze right away.
We skin and qtr the deer asap after shooting, putting the 1/4s, backstrap and loins in an UNSENTED trash bag, I put that bag of meat in the basement fridge, Then over the next 2-4 nights cut and wrap.

The skinning and qtring takes about 15 min a deer max.

Quote:
Ya believe me Iím gonna learn but this is my first time really doing any hunting so. For this first time I just donít wanna mess it up. With it being around 60-70 degrees how much time do I have to have it all cut up and frozen ?
Slackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports