• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Maybe it was mixed in with a crate full of old guns from the prop rental company and someone just thought it looked cool.

My guess is that Jackson just liked the extra long length of the slide and how that looked on film.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    That's really cool. It's good for Colt too. I am a huge fan of the early Colt Semi Automatics. I would be willing to spend a lot of money at Colt if they revived the 1902, 1903 Pocket Hammer, 1905 or 1907 or 1909.

Jul 1, 2012
    The would have to strengthen the slide on the 1905/07 :)

I don't think the modern-day Colt could do it, they'd have to farm it out like they did the 1903 hammerless project.

The original high-polish charcoal blue finish is a very labor-intensive process and more an art than science.
    Turnbull does an excellent job but still not quite "right", and that service is expensive.
    A re-issue would probably run $5k or more (doh, just looked and that's what Turnbull is asking for his hi-polish 1911 re-issue)
    It would be awesome of someone did fire up a reissue line, if only to get an inventory of spare parts - especially barrels, recoil springs and plugs.

The brush-blue finish Colt started using in 1915 or so would be a lot more economical (and durable) finish for reissue but was never offered on the 1905.
    It also frankly doesn't compare in looks.
    Maybe with modern manufacturing techniques (CNC etc) they could bring the labor down by reducing the hand-fitting that was done with the originals.

Pocket hammers are still fairly plentiful in the $1000-1500 range for a decent shootable one, 1902 Military can be had $1500-2000 for nice ones (later issue).
    You just have to be patient.

BTW David Rachwal has a bunch of stellar 1902 Militarys (and a PH "new in the box") for sale on his website... not cheap.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    The would have to strengthen the slide on the 1905/07 :)

I don't think the modern-day Colt could do it, they'd have to farm it out like they did the 1903 hammerless project.

The original high-polish charcoal blue finish is a very labor-intensive process and more an art than science.
    Turnbull does an excellent job but still not quite "right", and that service is expensive.

I've seen the website images of a Turnbull PH. What is not quite right about it?

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/colt-1903-pocket-hammer/

That thing is beautiful.

A re-issue would probably run $5k or more (doh, just looked and that's what Turnbull is asking for his hi-polish 1911 re-issue)
    It would be awesome of someone did fire up a reissue line, if only to get an inventory of spare parts - especially barrels, recoil springs and plugs.

The brush-blue finish Colt started using in 1915 or so would be a lot more economical (and durable) finish for reissue but was never offered on the 1905.
    It also frankly doesn't compare in looks.

I like the black finish more that the blue. Is that what you're talking about when you say it doesn't compare?

Maybe with modern manufacturing techniques (CNC etc) they could bring the labor down by reducing the hand-fitting that was done with the originals.

Pocket hammers are still fairly plentiful in the $1000-1500 range for a decent shootable one, 1902 Military can be had $1500-2000 for nice ones (later issue).
    You just have to be patient.

BTW David Rachwal has a bunch of stellar 1902 Militarys (and a PH "new in the box") for sale on his website... not cheap.

I was able to get a pocket hammer with rounded hammer a few weeks ago. The detail is so much better than my modern series 70. I would guess there are at least 10K examples currently floating around between 1903 Pocket Hammers, 1900s, 1902s and 1905s. I think somebody could make a successful business either in new spare parts or re-issues. Even if prices were higher. I think Colt sold out of the re-issue 1911s. Regarding ammo, Wisconsin Cartridge sells 250 .38 ACP rounds for $100.

Jul 1, 2012
    I've seen the website images of a Turnbull PH. What is not quite right about it?

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/colt-1903-pocket-hammer/

That thing is beautiful.
    Yes, there's no doubt they are gorgeous.

I like the black finish more that the blue. Is that what you're talking about when you say it doesn't compare?

yup. the high-polish looks like a mirror black surface with a lot of depth to it, if you're lucky enough to find one that still has it intact.
    The fire-blue pins and small parts really set it off too but those are usually worn as well.
    The later blue is nice as well but just doesn't have the "zing" to it IMHO.

I was able to get a pocket hammer with rounded hammer a few weeks ago. The detail is so much better than my modern series 70. I would guess there are at least 10K examples currently floating around between 1903 Pocket Hammers, 1900s, 1902s and 1905s. I think somebody could make a successful business either in new spare parts or re-issues. Even if prices were higher. I think Colt sold out of the re-issue 1911s. Regarding ammo, Wisconsin Cartridge sells 250 .38 ACP rounds for $100.

The fit and finish of the early Colts reflects the hand-fitting and craftsmanship of the old-timers :)

Colt sold those reissue 1911's for around $1200 IIRC (they bring more now of course) so it was very reasonable cost.
    Plus they had all the tooling and an assembly line in place already.
    A lot of people bitched about paying $1300 for the reissue pocket hammerless... not many would pony up (no pun intended) $5-6k for a reissue 1900 or 1905.

I don't know if Turnbull makes replacement parts when needed, or has a stockpile of stuff.
    1905 Magazines would be high on the list for a repro effort - not the TripleK stuff, but make them as original (but maybe with thicker metal).
    Those are really tough to find, and can run $400 or more.

I've been getting .38 ACP from Parabellum Research for about the same price (.35-.40 cpr), they have a pretty sophisticated testing and QC program.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    Plus they had all the tooling and an assembly line in place already.
    A lot of people bitched about paying $1300 for the reissue pocket hammerless... not many would pony up (no pun intended) $5-6k for a reissue 1900 or 1905.

I think $3500 - $4000 is reasonable for a reissue 05 or 07. For that price I expect the original mirror black finish on the slide and frame; fire blued pins, screws, trigger, and an external extractor. Plus I want it to be structurally improved to handle 45 ACP. And it should be marketed in the same way as a Bentley. For people of means, class and exemplary taste. People who would think that it is vulgar and common to use a Glock as a carry pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom