• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I was watching the movie Kong Skull Island this evening and noticed a C & R weapon. A pistol with a rather long slide and very distinctive front end. A Colt 1902 Military in 38 ACP. The movie is set in 1973, about 50 years after this weapon was last produced.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      23.1 KB · Views: 596
    Jul 1, 2012
    Damn, I saw that last night and was gonna post about it!

It's even a somewhat rare transition model with the stub hammer and rear serrations (around S/N 30k).

Saw the butt in his shoulder holster and wondered what it was, then he whipped it out and whoa! cool !
    Had to back it up and slow-mo to revel in the glory so to speak.

Back then you could still find .38 ACP pretty much anywhere.

BTW - wouldn't have been my first (or second, or third) choice for a sidearm in 1973.
    Note it still has the original teeny sights.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maybe it was mixed in with a crate full of old guns from the prop rental company and someone just thought it looked cool.

Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    "Is that a monkey?" - best line and delivery in a movie I've seen in a while. Had to rewind it a few times.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not trying to derail the thread, but the main reason I haven't watched that movie is because of Samuel L. Jackson. He's a great actor in the right role, but he winds up in roles that leave me scratching my head trying to figure out what the casting director was thinking.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I'm not trying to derail the thread, but the main reason I haven't watched that movie is because of Samuel L. Jackson. He's a great actor in the right role, but he winds up in roles that leave me scratching my head trying to figure out what the casting director was thinking.

I believe that he got this role based of his performance in the casting session with the Colt 1902. :rolleyes:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice, I think he sure likes the old stuff

Maxim, Star B

Attachments

• legendoftarzan13242.jpg
      legendoftarzan13242.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 363
    • pulp-star2.jpg
      pulp-star2.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 359

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    Noticed that as well when I saw the movie recently, which I wasn't particularly impressed by. Mr. Jackson probably liked the way it looked.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I don't care that they don't know a thing, just as long as they keep on coming with the cool stuff! This would have been one of the last pistols I would have imagined seeing in a move like this. Remember geeking out over the previous King Kong movie with Naomi Watts. Sailors carried the typical Thompson SMG but also GEW98s with proper Lange "roller coaster" sights. Not a common sight in movies.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    BTW, I have a prop from the remake of Around the World in 80 days. It's a proper Long Lee cast from resin. So real looking that it easily passes the 20 ft test. Hard to tell the fake from the real, huh?

Attachments

• IMGP7674.JPG
      IMGP7674.JPG
      23.3 KB · Views: 174

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    LOL... I noticed it too. Other than that, the movie blew.

Do you generally like "huge monster movies"? Because I thought it was great for what it was.

There's only so much you can expect from a movie like that...it isn't a widely visited genre that usually ends up being Oscar material. Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Cloverfield...fun movies with big monsters breaking stuff.

Can't wait to see King Kong vs Godzilla in a few years. It will certainly be better than the Toho version from decades ago that actually used hand puppets in some scenes.

I grew up watching those old Godzilla movies with dudes in poorly made suits smashing miniatures. Seeing what they can do now with that type of movie is what I always dreamed of as a kid, so I guess I am not too hard on them.

Brie Larson, Loki, King Kong, Samuel L Jackson, AND John C Reilly... good times.

They showed this pistol quickly in the trailer and I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw the whole movie and got a better look.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    This is a movie about a huge ape and it's the choice of firearms that people have trouble believing? It's just a movie...enjoy it for what it is...and isn't (accurate and truth). Not knowing a damn thing about guns and history is nothing new in the movies and television. It's not gonna change...the best we can hope for is once in a while they get something right.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Do you generally like "huge monster movies"? Because I thought it was great for what it was.

There's only so much you can expect from a movie like that...it isn't a widely visited genre that usually ends up being Oscar material. Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Cloverfield...fun movies with big monsters breaking stuff.

Can't wait to see King Kong vs Godzilla in a few years. It will certainly be better than the Toho version from decades ago that actually used hand puppets in some scenes.

I grew up watching those old Godzilla movies with dudes in poorly made suits smashing miniatures. Seeing what they can do now with that type of movie is what I always dreamed of as a kid, so I guess I am not too hard on them.

Brie Larson, Loki, King Kong, Samuel L Jackson, AND John C Reilly... good times.

They showed this pistol quickly in the trailer and I couldn't figure out what it was until I saw the whole movie and got a better look.

I guess I'm not really a fan of the genre... oddly enough it was my wife that wanted to watch it. I just get tired of the man is the evil destroyer of all that is good and natural claptrap. I guess I want a monster to be a monster and man to save the world. All the hippie eco-brainwashing gets on my nerves.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I guess I'm not really a fan of the genre... oddly enough it was my wife that wanted to watch it. I just get tired of the man is the evil destroyer of all that is good and natural claptrap. I guess I want a monster to be a monster and man to save the world. All the hippie eco-brainwashing gets on my nerves.

I totally understand. That stuff used to bother me but I've come to the realization that the vast majority of athletes, actors, directors, producers, writers, etc are all on the opposite end of the political spectrum as I am, and are major leftists.

Now I just try to ignore that stuff and enjoy what I can, otherwise I'm not going to want to watch any sports, movies, or shows. The way I usually watch my entertainment doesn't exactly put a lot of money in their pockets, so that makes it a little easier :)

Jul 1, 2012
    I will say this though, the 1902 is a smooth machine, literally and figuratively.
    The parallel link system makes it very accurate and the trigger is usually really nice.
    All in all a fun pistol.
    Finding the correct .38 ACP nowadays can be problematic, and it cannot handle .38 Super (at least not for long).
    Although an unusual choice, it was pretty cool to see it in the movie. Can't recall ever seeing one before.

Looking it up, IMFDB says he had two of them in a dual-rig shoulder... not going to go back and watch it again to see if that's true :)

BTW I don't think it was a random choice, especially if he had two of them. These aren't all that common to find laying around.

BTW2: I have a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer in .38 ACP (essentially a shorter barrel version) documented to be carried by a USMC company commander in Korea.
    So while it wouldn't be my choice over a 1911 for instance, it's not unheard of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom