So what is so special about old Springfield Armory 4x14x56 scope's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I saw quite a few of these on eBay when I went searching for higher a end USED glass for my M&P 10. It's not produced anymore, but couldn't find any reviews like on say, YouTube for them. Just wondering what's all the hubbub on them, and are they worth all that coin? Anyone have one? TIA, --JB

6da8bbd64f56ff9b93d3ad0804a6ce14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It's been awhile but I don't remember them as being a well thought of scope, for that money I always tend to look at Leupold.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    It's been awhile but I don't remember them as being a well thought of scope, for that money I always tend to look at Leupold.
    Good to know. I have a VX-2 LR, that I could use, but wanted something more versatile - 100-300yds graduated, for the M&P 10. The LR is zeroed typically at 200yds to start.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Personal opinion, but it seems like scopes have come a LONG way in the last decade. What you can get right now in terms of glass quality, repeatability and reticle choices is far better for the price. That said, I had an old Bausch and Lomb 6-24 that I got from Accurate Pawn for $250 that was crazy clear but only had target cross hairs. Someone here now uses it on their .22 target rifle I think.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Built in bubble level.

Built in drop compensation.

Built in range finger.

At the time, they had a lot of features that no other scopes had. This was at a time with a typical scope had cross hairs, without any dots or grads.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I would not spend that kind of money, way too many better options now.

Good luck

Jerry

Appreciate the heads up Jerry. Can I ask your opinion on what a modern comparable glass would be? I'm mostly a pistol and shogun guy, so this is new territory for me.

I'm looking for a variable powered scope for an M&P10(308), with a budget of around $750(new or used), with potential to shoot effectively out to 300yds, while being able to hopefully actually see my shots out to that distance using the glass. Feel free to let me know if that is unrealistic btw.

FWIW, I'll likely never be taking a shot out past 200yds, unless AGC acquires more land. :) I just would like the potential on the chance I may find a longer range when I travel to South from time to time.

Thanks in advance!

--JB

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    You may want to start here:

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes.html?brand=Vortex&brand_model=Viper PST Gen II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-...839217?hash=item1ec3d9a3b1:g:YrwAAOSw9GhYmj8q

The prices have gone up on the Gen IIs, but you may be able to find Gen I on ebay. I have a Gen I on a similar 308. It is made in out of country, but the quality doesn't appear to be shoddy. If you are looking for USA made, the price increase will reflect the amount of magnification you want. Leupold is a good brand, but the price is commensurate with the quality. $750 is a decent starting point, but may need to add a few dollars if you want new. Ebay is a crap shoot.

Q

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    You may want to start here:

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes.html?brand=Vortex&brand_model=Viper PST Gen II

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IN-BOX-...839217?hash=item1ec3d9a3b1:g:YrwAAOSw9GhYmj8q

The prices have gone up on the Gen IIs, but you may be able to find Gen I on ebay. I have a Gen I on a similar 308. It is made in out of country, but the quality doesn't appear to be shoddy. If you are looking for USA made, the price increase will reflect the amount of magnification you want. Leupold is a good brand, but the price is commensurate with the quality. $750 is a decent starting point, but may need to add a few dollars if you want new. Ebay is a crap shoot.

Q

OK good deal. Thanks for the help - much appreciated! --JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom