• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I searched the threads and didn't find anything that addresses my question but if I missed a thread and this has been asked, I apologize.
    I am looking for a 12 gauge semi auto. I anticipate using it for turkey season and maybe 1-2 times per year for waterfowl. I am trying to stay around $1k or less but if something stands out for more; my budget may increase. I am hoping for something with low felt recoil and doesn't require a lot of maintenance. I have looked at the SX3, a300, a350, a400, SBE II, browning A5, Stoeger 3500 (I know that is a wide range). I will probably shoot it three times during turkey season and go duck hunting 1-2 times at most per year. I don't know if I really need 3.5" for my use. Any help/suggestions and the reason would be great. Thank you

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    If you looked at the Stoeger 3500 how about the 3000. I have an M3K but it isn't as soft shooting as my A300. If you're only going to shoot 1 or 2 boxes a year the 3000 will save you a lot of cash.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    A few thoughts, but nothing definitive:

1) Browning A5 - Great gun, and readily available within your budget. Lightly used and heavily used samples abound. Replacement springs and friction rings are easily sourced and advised on a used gun of unknown history. Be sure to get the barrel length and choke you want from the get-go, replacement barrels are not cheap and most don't have screw-in chokes. Since you're shooting waterfowl you'll probably need one of the newer guns that can shoot steel shot. The barrel will be stamped "Special Steel" IIRC. A Japanese A5 will go bang just as well as a Belgian one, is arguably a better field gun (less collectible), and cheaper.

2) SBE II - might be tight to get one under $1k, but Green Top down in Richmond occasionally has some near that price. Again, great gun, popular for a reason, and there's fairly robust aftermarket support for it. If you decide you don't need the 3.5" option M2s can be had a bit cheaper.

I don't have any experience with the other ones you mentioned.

In terms of low felt recoil, how well the gun fits you is pretty important. Beyond that, gas operated will probably feel a little softer than the recoil operated guns, for the same load and gun weight, but everyone gets kicked a little differently. Try before you buy if at all possible.

Hope this helps,
    -Stephen M

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    You might want to look at the new Remington V3. I don't have one, but it's gotten some pretty good reviews on shotgunworld.com Randy Wakeman loves it, and he isn't a guy that holds back when he doesn't like a gun.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    You might want to look at the new Remington V3. I don't have one, but it's gotten some pretty good reviews on shotgunworld.com Randy Wakeman loves it, and he isn't a guy that holds back when he doesn't like a gun.

That my friend is what I'm saving my pennies and stones for, I have been a big green guy from my youth and still have my 870 that I worked my A$% off for at 14. All the standard remchokes work with it so that means you have more adaptability and aftermarket chokes than any other shotgun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm a Beretta fan, would look for a deal on an A400 variant might find one close to your $1k budget, it's as sleek and smooth handling as the Benelli inertia driven guns, but has the light recoil and reliablilty over a broad range of loads of a gas gun. Excellent craftsmanship, lightning fast action, and probably the most reliable gas system around, recoil with heavy loads is tamed greatly with a kick-off model. Obviously you should handle and shoot several and see what works for you.

MD_3%er

Jul 3, 2011
    Nottingham, MD
    Read lots of articles, watch lots of youtube videos, go pick up some and feel them... shoot some if you can. What works for one guy does not always work for the next.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You can rent an A400 at PG Trap and Skeet. You welcome to shoot my Winchester SX3 or Browning Maxus although the Maxus is generally $1300+/- . Both shoot very soft and are great guns. They run a little dirty but if you're only shooting a few times a year you're going to clean it after each outing anyway especially if you're shooting ducks.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    You can rent an A400 at PG Trap and Skeet. You welcome to shoot my Winchester SX3 or Browning Maxus although the Maxus is generally $1300+/- . Both shoot very soft and are great guns. They run a little dirty but if you're only shooting a few times a year you're going to clean it after each outing anyway especially if you're shooting ducks.

Sounds like an offer that you shouldn't refuse.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    Just bought a A350 for $750 NIB. Will shoot the heavy rds and the light loads. Great gun for the price. Its a gift, so can't shoot it until the right day. Wives orders! I have shot several of the various models of Beretta and they all have performed flawlessly.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013

Thanks for the offer. I've been obsessing about this purchase for a while and want to pull the trigger just so I don't keep looking at more guns (a buddy mentioned I should look at Franchi). I think I'm leaning towards beretta but I have never had an issue with my 870 so Remington has been good to me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Thanks for the offer. I've been obsessing about this purchase for a while and want to pull the trigger just so I don't keep looking at more guns (a buddy mentioned I should look at Franchi). I think I'm leaning towards beretta but I have never had an issue with my 870 so Remington has been good to me.

An 870 pump is a different animal than a semi-auto. I would expect the 870 to keep on chugging along for quite some time under hunting conditions. I own a Browning BPS that was my main hunting gun for a decade or more until I got my SBE.

I own a Beretta 391 Teknys, which is a gas gun, that I use for clays shooting. In hindsight, I should have bought the Benelli Sporting Clays performance shop semi-auto, and might still do so. I just shoot the Teknys too well to give it up. Problem is, the Teknys takes too much TLC and that is reserved for my wife and kids, not my guns.

End of the day, I will probably take my SBE to the grave with me. It just keeps on shooting and shooting. However, at 3 outings a year, it might not be worth the price tag for you unless you believe in buy once, cry once, and the possibility of getting out there a little more often.

My SBE will not cycle anything with less power than a 1 1/8 oz. load at 1,200 fps. My brother has the same issue out of his SBE. If I were to upgrade the SBE, it would be to the Super Vinci. Even less to clean on that gun.

If you take pbharbey up on his offer, let me know when and where you guys plan on getting together. If I am free, I will bring my well worn SBE and a 391 or two for you to try. I also have the Beretta 3901, but it has only seen a couple of boxes of shells out of it. I bring it hunting as a backup, and a couple friends have had to use it.

Also note that the drop and cant on the Benelli and Beretta semi-autos can be changed via a shim system. I know I like my hunting shotguns set up with a lot less drop than most prefer.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I love my sbe. Shoot it for everything. Easy to clean.
    Here's a nice one:

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/h-k-benelli-super-black-eagle.338817/

$950 is pretty good for that gun. It is easy to tell how much it has been used because the black finish wears away as shells are cycled through the gun. Mine has a silver spot inside the receiver where the finish has been worn off from shells coming out of the mag and sliding along the side of the receiver. I still expect to use it for another 20+ years.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I went and put hands on the a400 extrema, a350, franchi intensity, sbeII,. I like the $1k price as opposed to the $1600(+) for the sbe II and the a400. Liked the feel of the intensity and was about to pull the trigger but did a quick google search and saw that it has a hard time cycling lighter shells. back to reasearch. Also, I will probably buy new unless I know the seller or they are close to southern Maryland where I am located. Thanks for all the suggestions.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I'm a Beretta fan but for waterfowling I bought a used Weatherby SA-08 at $400. No complaints.

DSC_0472-001_zpsttmxxuf3.jpg

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    I've been happy with my stoeger 3500. It shouldered well for me and swung good. I haven't had any issues with shooting any loads really. Cycles through it all. I really wanted a sbe but couldn't get myself to spend the money. The stoeger has exceeded my expectations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom