• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    do you have to shoot slugs at deer, is buckshot an option? that will save you a barrel and optics.

really like my sbe2! you definitely feel it when shooting slugs, but very soft with shot. real easy to take apart and clean. with the smooth barrel, using slugs it's definitely pie-plate accurate within 50 yards offhand although with mine i have to aim like a foot left and foot low at that distance.

i use mine for 3 gun and also skeet, clays and the like. perfect all around gun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I did not know that. Is it illegal to use buck shot when hunting deer in MD? Should I bother asking why?

Deer and bear hunters using shotguns must use ammunition that fires a solid, single projectile. Buckshot may not be used to hunt deer except in Dorchester County, where #1 size buckshot or larger may be used. The use of shotguns smaller than 20 gauge for deer and bear hunting is not permitted.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

As far as the why is concerned, somebody else will have to fill you in on that one. It has been like this since I started deer hunting in the early 90's.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I imagine the why is that it is considered cruel. Once again, those making the rules have probably never been deer hunting or even fired a shot gun.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I imagine the why is that it is considered cruel. Once again, those making the rules have probably never been dear hunting or even fired a shot gun.

And why the regulation of nothing larger than T shot on waterfowl? Maybe because of the safety hazard of having buckshot flying through the sky?

There are a lot of regs that I just do not understand the reasoning behind them.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Why not just buy rifled slugs to avoid buying a second barrel?

Rifled slugs out of a smoothbore are not as accurate as sabots out of a rifled barrel. I can easily go out to 150 yards with my SBE with a rifled barrel, 3-9x scope, and Federal Barnes sabots. Neither the setup nor the ammo is cheap though. Don't think the OP is looking to spend a little over $2k on the setup. He might be willing to spend $3 per trigger pull for sabots.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I imagine the why is that it is considered cruel. Once again, those making the rules have probably never been dear hunting or even fired a shot gun.

Oh Dear, not dear hunting..... :rolleyes:

Not sure of their reasoning. As many idiots as there are wounding deer with arrows, you'd think THAT would be outlawed by now.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Oh Dear, not dear hunting..... :rolleyes:

Not sure of their reasoning. As many idiots as there are wounding deer with arrows, you'd think THAT would be outlawed by now.

One would think that bow hunting, as primitive as it is, would have been outlawed long ago. Or at least outlaw it because it might be offensive to a small group of native Americans.

shekshishekki

Mar 5, 2012
    If you want somethjngyou dont have to baby...i would not recommend the mossberg 930 jm pro. This gun has ALOT of initial quality issues that needs to be addressed for it to be reliable. It's hit or miss whether you get a fully functional firearm.

Mine came with a totally mangled mag spring from the factory. Would also double feed, FTF, and jam like crazy. There are simple fixes for most of these problems, but just dont expect a fully reliable shotty out of the box.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I'm very happy with my Browning Maxus. Points great, shoots soft, very reliable but runs a little dirty. Not sure you can get it with a second barrel for under $1000 though.

I'm happy with mine too, but there's no way op will get a new one with one barrel for $1000.00 or less. :sad20:
    He should look at a Beretta A300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom