• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    I have an old S&W top break. From what I can figure out from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd ed., p. 84, it is a .38 double action, fourth model.

It used to be possible to push on the hammer with the action cocked and have the hammer fall. A gunsmith who I won't name told me the problem was that the sear was soft and tried to harden it. He was unsuccessful, and now it will not operate single action (i.e., the hammer will not stay cocked). He told me that parts are no longer available from S&W, which didn't surprise me a bit.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who could work on this and, possibly, fix it? It must be possible to make a sear. Any ideas how much it would cost, assuming that the diagnosis of a soft sear is correct?

Thanks.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A good revolver smith should be able to help you. You might need to have both the sear and hammer full cock notch hardened and honed IF there is enough undamaged metal to do this. That is an old revolver so most those familiar with we no longer with us. I've corrected a couple old revolver malfunctions so I am sure a qualified smith could. MGW, Madora, Bowen Hamilton to name a few could. But there would be shipping to couple of them so that will contribute to the cost. Badgersmith Gunwork, located in Bel Air area, may take it on, give him a call. He is in the phone book and at most local gunshows as well

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow them up.

There was no charge for the non-repair, and I have no complaints about that gunsmith or the shop he works for.

SalemCat

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow them up.

There was no charge for the non-repair, and I have no complaints about that gunsmith or the shop he works for.

Some problems cannot be repaired by even the most skilled GunSmith, short of making or buying a replacement part. Which may not be practical or economical.

Sounds like he did his honest best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom