• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    Was visiting the in-laws last weekend and got out my FIL's old S&W Model 66. It's a sweet .357 and seems to be in pretty good shape. Apparently he bought it in the late 70's and didn't shoot it much. It definitely hasn't been shot in the last 20-25 years. I really want to get this thing back in action, so what's the smart thing to do? Can I clean it and then shoot it, or should I have a smith take a look at it first? My only concern with it is that it was not stored really well and I'm a little worried that the sea-air got to the innards. Or am I worrying about nothing? Thanks
    SW66.JPG

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    With an EMPTY, EMPTY Gun. Did I say make sure it is empty?

Cock the hammer all the way back and try to turn the cylinder, don't try to brake it, just see if it moves. It should be tight and have little to NO movement at all. If it locks up good and tight and there is no visible rust or pitting it should be safe to shoot.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I don't think the late 70's really justifies old. If you are concerned about it take it to a smith, if it was me i'd start shooting it without thinking twice after a good cleaning and basic inspection.

With an EMPTY, EMPTY Gun. Did I say make sure it is empty?

Cock the hammer all the way back and try to turn the cylinder, don't try to brake it, just see if it moves. It should be tight and have little to NO movement at all. If it locks up good and tight and there is no visible rust or pitting it should be safe to shoot.

+1. Model 66 is stainless, inside and out. Should be good to go. Great guns. Tell your FIL I'll give him $50 more than he paid for it.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I don't think the late 70's really justifies old. If you are concerned about it take it to a smith, if it was me i'd start shooting it without thinking twice after a good cleaning and basic inspection.

This.

I would, however, hit the innards (technical term :D) it with a good lubricating gun flush. Old lubricants can gum up, but a flush will make the insides shine.

PS - Unless you plan on replacing the grip, make sure you take it off before using any solvent. :thumbsup:

PPS - Great looking gun!

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    As long as the cylinder locks up properly and there is no play in it, it should be fine. I would clean it well and shoot some lead through it first to check if it shaving rounds off at the forcing cone where the round moves from the cylinder to the barrel.

But I would believe based on the history that you gave here that you have a real nice shooter there

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD

Sure the late 70's justifies as old...

The 1870's

That's a beautiful S&W.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Don't listen to these people. They have no idea what they are talking about. Meet me at the police barracks and give it to me. I'll make sure it is properly taken care of. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom