• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I’m new to this reloading game. Only 20 rounds in. I just got a chargemaster and I was wondering if there is any need to keep a beam scale to verify it periodically or if I can trust it on its own.

Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I’m new to this reloading game. Only 20 rounds in. I just got a chargemaster and I was wondering if there is any need to keep a beam scale to verify it periodically or if I can trust it on its own.

dude,
    if you are 20 rounds in and spending shit load of money on a digital scale, you need to rethink your plans.

:lol:
    D

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    For the most part a digital scale isn't any more accurate (if as accurate :rolleyes: ) than a beam type, it's usually just faster. Either one you should have a 'control weight' and test both types on occasion to verify accuracy.

Last edited:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I prefer the beam scale. My eyes aren't that bad yet,, but this setup really helps dial into that last kernel and is easier on the eyes after a long loading session. As others have said, gravity doesn't lie and with a set of check weights, neither does the beam scale.

Attachments

• 20210112_194446.jpg
      20210112_194446.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 292
    • 20210112_194504.jpg
      20210112_194504.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 292

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks. That was quick. Looks like the everyone agrees to keep it. The beam worked good on the loads I have done so far. The main reason I got the chargemaster was I don’t shoot a lot so I think I will spend a lot of time dialing in loads. Adjusting the powder thrower .2 grains with the beam scale every few rounds seemed to take the fun out of it. I figured it was inevitable I’d want a better system so decided to bite the bullet now. I will definitely follow the advice and keep the beam and keep playing with it also.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    gonna say also ...Keep the beam
    Have a digital...but still use my beam scales all the time
    Prefer the old USA made RCBS 10-10, Ohaus 10-10, Lyman M5
    beams, some tuned by Scott Parker... repeatable and accurate
    Pick em up where I can,and don't pay crazy prices, one of the
    latest additions to add to the beam collection.

20210112_232027(1).jpg

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    If you haven't already, may want to pick up some calibration weights. Not that I think a beam scale could go out of calibration, but its always good to check.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Wow - you're 20 rounds in and spent almost double on a digital powder measure than I did on my whole first setup, the Lee Challenger Anniversary Kit. With dies. I suppose if I'd had the money at the time to do similar, I may have. Or not.

Anyway...

As long as it's calibrated, a beam scale is pretty much never wrong. It's always going to give you pretty exact results. That's why they are still used so much in areas where exact weight is so important, such as science labs and reloading. If I had a decent beam scale (currently my only beam scale is the one that came with the Lee kit - it's ok, but not great) I'd never get rid of it, and in fact, once I start loading for rifle as well as for pistol, I'm going to buy something - probably an RCBS beam scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom