• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    I need recommendations for a gunsmith that can thread a barrel so I can mount a break. The barrel I have is a fluted .308 5R contour Remington barrel.

Thank you

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I am also looking. Asked a local gunsmith/Member here about it and never got a response at all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Locally, I have used Duffy's to thread a pistol barrel. But it took a couple of months, they are busy.

I sent a Rem 700 barreled action to Short Action Customs in Ohio for a brake. They threaded the barrel, mounted and timed the brake, Cerakoted it. Turn around, with FedEx Ground shipping was 1 week.

Another mail away shop I have used that did great work is Long Rifles Inc in SD, I send a Lilja rimfire barrel for threading. They threaded it, made a thread protector that fits so well you cannot see the join line, and Cerakoted the whole thing. It arrive at their shop on Thursday, shipped out on Friday. 1 week door to door.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    +1 for Duffy's. I was told they do it on the lathe and get the concentricity off the bore avoiding potential baffle strikes as opposed to just using a die to cut the threading. I'm not a machinist so might have my terms incorrect or stating something in an inaccurate way.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    +1 for Duffy's. They have done several for me as well as a couple complex thread jobs on handguns.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Not sure where you’re located. If further west, I’ve had good experiences with Tim Hafer. He’s just west of Hagerstown. Several good friends have rifles built by Ed Harren. He is in Monrovia just of 355 just north of the intersection with 75

Lots of good comments about Walt - will have to check him out as he’s close to frederick also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I didnt see it but he told me about it. If it was the 11 minute testimony (lots of Q&A), then yes that was him
    Yes, it definitely was him then. His young daughter also spoke before him. I think he made a positive impression on the committee as a responsible gun owner and impressed on them that 80% builds can be very problematic (i.e. he gets plenty of requests to help fix them, but can't). Unfortunately, I think there will still be something from the House and Senate that affects personal firearm manufacturing, but hard to say what given all the ground/different issues they're trying to cover. Anyway, he acquitted himself well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I like Morgan at Class 3 Machining. https://class3machining.com/

He's in Dallas TX so no, he's not a local guy. Excellent work. and fast turnaround. His focus is barrel threading and adapters.
    I usually like to support local businesses too, but threading a barrel for a muzzle device, especially a precision rifle barrel and/or for a suppressor, is highly specialized work. Maybe decades ago there was a talented gunsmith-machinist in every town, but I don’t think that’s the case today.

Morgan has done several jobs for me, including 10/22s (4), S&W M&P 15-22 SBR, Beretta 92 factory barrel with short AAC threads, and a few others I can remember at the moment. Highest quality work, good prices, fast turnaround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom