• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I ordered a .22 rifle from a local shop at the beginning of the month (first week). My 12 year old has gotten more interested in shooting. I have never ordered a gun before. I was told it would be about 7 to 8 days for it to arrive. It's getting closer to month and I only get it's not here yet. Is it normal for a order to take that long. I have never ordered a complete gun. I've only bought in stock items.

I am kind of disappointed in the shop as I haven't gotten a reason why it hasn't arrived yet.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It depends on the distributor it was ordered from. It could be out of stock and they should have notified your dealer of that. Maybe the dealer neglected to order it? Either way you deserve an answer.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    It depends on the distributor it was ordered from. It could be out of stock and they should have notified your dealer of that. Maybe the dealer neglected to order it? Either way you deserve an answer.
    I didn't consider that angle. I planned to stop by the shop tomorrow.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    bottom line is it is hard to find a place that gives you great, or even good, service. when they ordered they should have asked the distributor for a timeline and given that to you right away. and when a week transpired with nothing, they should have followed up and given that info to you. they think their job is done when they take your money and it's not (or at least shouldn't be) done until they deliver what you paid for. it's bs frankly.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The dealer should know within an hour or so of when it'll ship. This isn't much more complicated versus calling an auto parts place back in the day and they'd call the warehouse and get it on the way.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Another option is to order it yourself from Bud's Gun Shop and have it shipped in locally. That works great if it's something not in stock locally. You get a tracking number so you can follow it while being delivered.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    Another option is to order it yourself from Bud's Gun Shop and have it shipped in locally. That works great if it's something not in stock locally. You get a tracking number so you can follow it while being delivered.

I try to give the local businesses a chance first.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Some guns are hard to source (like the Tikka T1x in 17 HMR or 22LR these days), but if it's easy to find, it should only take 3-4 days to get from a distributor.

If you share the rifle model, one can do a quick survey using gun.deals or similar web tools to check availability and pricing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Call the shop owner, explain the situation to him calmly, and politely ask for an update. If he does not respond in 2-3 days, tell him to cancel

Then go to one of the reputable IP's on this forum and place an order. The IP's are listed on this forum.
    :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I ordered a .22 rifle from a local shop at the beginning of the month (first week). My 12 year old has gotten more interested in shooting. I have never ordered a gun before. I was told it would be about 7 to 8 days for it to arrive. It's getting closer to month and I only get it's not here yet. Is it normal for a order to take that long. I have never ordered a complete gun. I've only bought in stock items.

I am kind of disappointed in the shop as I haven't gotten a reason why it hasn't arrived yet.

Probably the best way to order a gun in the future is find the gun on line. Order it to your local ffl, giving the online dealer your ffl's email, and wait for the 'in stock' gun to reach your ffl. Your ffl will tell you as soon as it arrives. Don't forget to warn your ffl of the order.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Probably the best way to order a gun in the future is find the gun on line. Order it to your local ffl, giving the online dealer your ffl's email, and wait for the 'in stock' gun to reach your ffl. Your ffl will tell you as soon as it arrives. Don't forget to warn your ffl of the order.

I recently found this out the hard way: read all the fine print before committing yourself to any online purchase. Some online sellers do a lousy job of disclosure and defining the terms, 'available' and 'in-stock'. To me, those terms mean, 'we got it' and will ship it upon receipt of payment and your local FFL's stuff. To them, though, those terms mean 'we can get it from a distributor in 7-10 business days' before shipping it to your FFL.

I had a GB seller pull that shit on me even after I called them first to confirm availability and how long it would take to ship it after receiving payment and my local FFL's documentation. Live and learn.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    i think it was said earlier but check with your ffl first to make sure that they will do the transfer for you. there are some out there that won't do transfers from online sellers OR restrict what sites you can order from.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    i think it was said earlier but check with your ffl first to make sure that they will do the transfer for you. there are some out there that won't do transfers from online sellers OR restrict what sites you can order from.

Without going into much more detail. That's not the case here.

bbaick

Nov 6, 2013
    With the internet these says, your local gunstore should be able to ascertain an ETA for the rifle, and track it once it ships. As a personal policy, whenever possible, I try not to pay in full for an order like this. I feel like the local store tries to get the item in faster when I make partial payment, then pay the rest upon arrival of my order (not all local stores will allow this though). Good luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have done it several ways.

I have ordered from Bud's. They have a number of local dealers that are already in their system and will accept the gun without prior notice.

I have ordered directly and had my FFL send a copy of their paperwork and receive the gun.

And I have just asked them to order it. I think I told them on Sat, and on Mon they called to tell me it was being shipped that day.

All worked well.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Theshootingstore.com will ship to several IP’s here. I check to see if someone local has what I want, if not order from Shooting Store and pick up locally.
    I have also ordered from Buds when no on can get close to their price plus transfer fees

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

It took me over a month to receive a hand gun so is a month the going rate for online purchases or has anyone else had better luck.
    And mine was online through gun store and had to wait till they received it to ship to my FFL in DC.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Every purchase I have made has been online either through my LGS, an IP here, or Cabelas. My LGS gets anything I order through them in within a few days (3-4 max) as long as it’s in stock at the distributor. My LGS has a Gearfire site which shows stock and I don’t believe will let you order out of stock items.

The IP was DK Firearms, I ordered a pistol on a Friday night at 11pm, it shipped the next day and arrived at my LGS the following Tuesday. If they show it in stock, it’s in their store ready to go.

Cabelas took the longest at about a week from order to arriving in store. That’s within their estimated 5-8 days listed when ordering, so I know not to expect it before then.

After a week to 10 days I would be calling for a status update. If they can’t give me one within a day or two I’d likely be cancelling my order.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There are plenty of IPs that have storefronts. I for one would never think of ordering anything unless it is through John Lowe at JLowe Guns. But there are other quality IPs on this forum all over the state. Next time, think of them for your purchase.

As to your immediate concern, like others have said, there's no way your dealer shouldn't know the status of your order. I would ask for a refund and spend your money in a store that is concerned about their customer's satisfaction. No reason for an 8 day shipping period to turn in to a 30+ day waiting period. No reason at all.

DucksRFlyin

Jul 31, 2016
    Or you could just go to John Lowe's website and if you don't see it there, call him and see if you can get it.. He's local (MD) has stuff in -stock and is online !! Super person too ! Picking up from him soon.. Can't wait !

www.jlowesguns.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom