• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Westminster High School is hosting a 16-band marching band show today, from 11:00-4:00. The show will feature Towson University's marching band in exhibition.

We haven't been to a marching band show since the last of our kids graduated. Our three boys went through the Westminster program years ago, and I personally think it was probably the most valuable thing they did in high school. Two of them are still involved in music, one as a full-time teacher. Some of the alumni band parents are helping out today, including the S.U. I, on the other hand, will be supporting the bands and the program from the stands in the vicinity of the 50 yard-line.

Love that Owl Band. Gate opens at 10, and I think performances begin at 11.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The wife spent 7 years of her life traveling with the Calvert Hall Competitive Marching band. I was so distraught with having to stay home with the younger kids (yeah right). They would travel for hours and of course these competitions are a lot like a wrestling match, they're an all day/all night event. There were many times they had to be at the school at 4am and not get home until after midnight.

My oldest son enjoyed it, my second oldest didn't and quit the band his junior year. My wife on the other hand was like a drug addict. She couldn't wait for the weekends so that she could participate. I still get a headache every time I think about the Gatorade bottles filled with rocks that made up their noise makers. Do you know, the parents were also a part of the bands score? Yep, the more noise you made, the higher the score for the band.

I'm glad you were a part of that experience, but if I'm getting up at 4am and making noise, it better be putting food on the table.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Great show so far, and I needed this today. It helped to reinstill at least a little faith in today's yoots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I spent all 4 years of high school in marching band. Wish I knew about this earlier. Wife and I both band nerds and would have enjoyed this. Maybe next year.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Be sure to stick around to see McLean. They are the real deal.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I spent all 4 years of high school in marching band. Wish I knew about this earlier. Wife and I both band nerds and would have enjoyed this. Maybe next year.

Yea.org

That will give you any show in Maryland since usbands is pretty much the only game in town.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    US BANDS has a big competition at Towson University on October 29. This is like a regional or state finals.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know. I think some of the Frederick County schools and the Eastern Shore schools still participate.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    What a blast today was. McClean VA's show was awesome. Westminster's band is a third the size it was in its heyday when our kids were in, but they're re-building and did a really nice show. Every band was beautiful and great, including the tiny band from La Plata.

My middle son is ass't director of a HS marching band in Arundel County, and they have a couple shows coming up which we need to try to see.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    What a blast today was. McClean VA's show was awesome. Westminster's band is a third the size it was in its heyday when our kids were in, but they're re-building and did a really nice show. Every band was beautiful and great, including the tiny band from La Plata.

My middle son is ass't director of a HS marching band in Arundel County, and they have a couple shows coming up which we need to try to see.

Nevermind all that, how were the trumpets?

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Heard one trumpet solo that was a little wobbly. The rest were marvy!

Banjos would make marching band better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the two years she went there, daughter was in ( undisclosed)'s marching band.

I was rather dismayed that the whole time they neither ever Marched nor played a March.

I really wanted to ask the band director if he had ever seen a Marching Band before. But the daughter was in need of the A , so I held my tounge.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    What ever happened to ToB?

Our high schools out west here are still in the ToB circuits. We have 5 or 6 schools between md and wv that are in the rotation.

Keyser wv hosts 'cadence in the valley' each year and allegany hs in cumberland hosts 'preview of champions'

The bands are in nj this weekend at a 2 day competition.

Final show is hershey pa.

These young people work hard and it shows. Lots of dedication and discipline go into a marching show.

The tob site is now njatob.org

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom