• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...dge-upholds-bristols-concealed-weapons-policy

Opinion is below the article. I see some possibilities for this.

The judge has characterized the 2A as NOT extending beyond the home according to Hightower. I'm curious if this could be a vehicle to getting the inside/outside the home question to SCOTUS and getting a remand. A basic question like that seems something that the court may be willing to answer.
    One issue though is the license is a CCW. According to handgunlaw RI is a licensed open carry state like MD,NJ, and MA. That may hamstring it.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    http://www.providencejournal.com/ne...dge-upholds-bristols-concealed-weapons-policy

The judge has characterized the 2A as NOT extending beyond the home according to Hightower. I'm curious if this could be a vehicle to getting the inside/outside the home question to SCOTUS and getting a remand. A basic question like that seems something that the court may be willing to answer.
    One issue though is the license is a CCW. According to handgunlaw RI is a licensed open carry state like MD,NJ, and MA. That may hamstring it.

I'd like to ask his honor where that limitation is stated in COTUS. All of my copies must be faulty because they don't have such a statement.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'd like to ask his honor where that limitation is stated in COTUS. All of my copies must be faulty because they don't have such a statement.
    It's what happens when they no longer follow the constitution but follow other lower court opinions. But in this case the more extreme holdings actually benefit us by causing conflicts in the circuits.

JC92

Aug 1, 2012
    MD

The 7th CCA already answered this question in the affirmative: The right to "bear" arms applies outside of the home. This should be an easy case to remand before it moves too far in the court system.

jrosenberger

Jan 19, 2011
    NH
    The 7th CCA already answered this question in the affirmative: The right to "bear" arms applies outside of the home. This should be an easy case to remand before it moves too far in the court system.

Except Hightower is CA1 precedent, so it's binding, unlike a CA7 decision. I obviously think Hightower is wrong, and you could maybe make an argument that it's superseded by Caetano, but I don't see an anti-gun court buying it. That will take SCOTUS saying so explicitly instead of implicitly.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Except Hightower is CA1 precedent, so it's binding, unlike a CA7 decision. I obviously think Hightower is wrong, and you could maybe make an argument that it's superseded by Caetano, but I don't see an anti-gun court buying it. That will take SCOTUS saying so explicitly instead of implicitly.

The thing that some people still don't seem to get is this: SCOTUS will have to say everything explicitly. The belligerent lower courts will continue to rule even against direct SCOTUS decisions to the contrary, because there is no consequence to them if they do so and because there is always a chance that SCOTUS will refuse cert. That latter is so high that it's something the lower courts can effectively bank on.

As a result, game theory alone clearly dictates the actions of the hostile lower courts. Their actions will turn SCOTUS from the court of last resort to the court of only resort. And as we've seen, SCOTUS is not willing to step up to the plate to deal with that fact (do you really think Caetano represents a sea change in their approach here? If so, I've got this bridge ... ).

The end result is this: SCOTUS will have to grant cert to every 2nd Amendment case if it wishes to see the right upheld. The hostile lower courts simply will not change their approach to the 2nd Amendment until at a minimum it becomes clear that SCOTUS will overturn them without hesitation if they don't fall in line. And even then, it's more likely than not that the hostile lower courts will behave as they are anyway, even in the face of near-certain reversal, simply due to game theoretical considerations. The only way that will change is if there are real consequences to them for giving SCOTUS the middle finger like that.

This isn't law, gentlemen. This is politics and the exercise of power, dressed up as law. Never forget that.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    The thing that some people still don't seem to get is this: SCOTUS will have to say everything explicitly. The belligerent lower courts will continue to rule even against direct SCOTUS decisions to the contrary, because there is no consequence to them if they do so and because there is always a chance that SCOTUS will refuse cert. That latter is so high that it's something the lower courts can effectively bank on.

As a result, game theory alone clearly dictates the actions of the hostile lower courts. Their actions will turn SCOTUS from the court of last resort to the court of only resort. And as we've seen, SCOTUS is not willing to step up to the plate to deal with that fact (do you really think Caetano represents a sea change in their approach here? If so, I've got this bridge ... ).

The end result is this: SCOTUS will have to grant cert to every 2nd Amendment case if it wishes to see the right upheld. The hostile lower courts simply will not change their approach to the 2nd Amendment until at a minimum it becomes clear that SCOTUS will overturn them without hesitation if they don't fall in line. And even then, it's more likely than not that the hostile lower courts will behave as they are anyway, even in the face of near-certain reversal, simply due to game theoretical considerations. The only way that will change is if there are real consequences to them for giving SCOTUS the middle finger like that.

This isn't law, gentlemen. This is politics and the exercise of power, dressed up as law. Never forget that.

If the SCOTUS only said, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. means just that no and, if, or buts. People have the right to buy any weapon, accessory, pay no tax or fee for this right."

Well we can dream.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

OK let's give up.

;)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    If the SCOTUS only said, "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. means just that no and, if, or buts. People have the right to buy any weapon, accessory, pay no tax or fee for this right."

Well we can dream.

All we need is a few summary remands..or reversals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom