• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    First time hunting guidance

I am looking for some guidance on things I need to purchase for hopefully going on my first deer hunt this year. I plan to crossbow hunt as it seems Maryland doesn't really like hunting with guns. So far these are the things I have come up with.

climbing tree stand
    unscented deodorant and detergent
    cyan flashlight for blood tracking at night
    range finder
    camo clothing something hi-viz orange
    deer drag
    raptor razor knife

What am I missing? I have attended hunter safety but haven't bought a deer license yet.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Butt Out and String. Make sure you cut on the correct side of the string. :o

Bug Spray. (No Stink'in Bugs) by Scent Shield. Red can.

Fluorescent surveyor flags to use as markers while tracking. So you can go back to the last drop of blood if you don't find any more blood going forward. They also give you an idea of the path of the deer. Though they do make 90 degree turns which are maddening when they happen.

And you won't need a range finder for up close and personal hunting. Mark your ranges ahead of time.

Jan 29, 2015
    Hey There,
    Sounds like you have a good start on it. Don't forget a good safety harness if the stand you buy doesn't come with a good one, wear it going up, while hunting, and coming back down. A good deer call can be a helpful tool as well. Good luck!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    if you are bow hunting then bug spray.

also a way to hang and gut , skin and quarter your deer, and maybe a meat grinder is in order.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    If your hunting in the early season then be sure to use a sent free bug spray. Rubber gloves when your gutting a deer and of your not with someone that knows how to gut a deer then watch a couple YouTube videos to give you a good idea of how to do it. Then I always have a roll of toilet paper for three reasons. Blow your nose, to use while tracking deer, then when if natures calls while sitting in the tree stand. And last find a butcher before the hunt to take a deer to and find out what all they can do with the deer like jerky, sausage , hams, and so on.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    GPS
    first know how to field dress a deer
    I like high plastic gloves so I don't get blood all over me and plastic bag for the dirty gloves
    rag to clean up
    sling to drag or other means
    only shoot IF YOU SEE IT
    hard candy to suck and it has sugar/energy
    ditty shoulder bag to carry your stuff - kids put it all in their pockets LOL
    canvas over pants for the briars/thorns
    for the over pants - get them way oversize on the waist and use suspenders - lernt from an old eastern shore guy- pant won't squeeze your waist/ blood flow and cold feeling, won't roll down your ass when you sit and come up when you stand up - never wash them and take them off when you get out of the woods
    all your stuff is in your ditty bag
    for eastern shore I use tall rubber boots, no laces - water and laces leak

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Vintag...ger-Bag-New-/151811156504?hash=item2358a66a18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Timber...ts-PA8-/291263817066?var=&hash=item43d0ad256a

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Subscribe to the you tube channel in my sig line. We have a video being released this Friday covering a few of the basics. If it gets a good response i'll do more of them.

I'll embed it here once it gets turned loose on friday

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am looking for some guidance on things I need to purchase for hopefully going on my first deer hunt this year. I plan to crossbow hunt as it seems Maryland doesn't really like hunting with guns. So far these are the things I have come up with.

climbing tree stand (That's kinda advanced for a newb)
    unscented deodorant and detergent (If you're serious about that, always do a load of regular clothes first)
    cyan flashlight for blood tracking at night(I use surefires)
    range finder(a must for any deer/archery huntin)
    camo clothing something hi-viz orange(If you're only hunting during bow season, you won't need orange.)
    deer drag(Good)
    raptor razor knife(Make sure your knife is on the narrow side for cutting around the anus)

What am I missing? I have attended hunter safety but haven't bought a deer license yet.

I have never seen the need to use any insect repellent, never. Make sure your 'outfit' includes gloves and hood type face cover. All your outer garments should be scent blocking. Scentless boots(rubber). I like boonie hats above all other hats. They gather more sound(like a parabolic mike). Surgical gloves, extra batteries, cell phone, some sort of tree stand hook to hold your bow(you will need this), Fall restraint and accompanying devices, water, zip-lock bags for any food/food trash(to keep scent down), a decent scent elimination spray(I like to keep a small spray bottle in my pack)....and on and on.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I have never seen the need to use any insect repellent, never.

I used to feel the same way until a tick bite put me in Intensive Care for a week with a heart rate of 27, a temporary pacemaker installed and a month of IV antibiotics through a port in my arm. This happened last July.

Now, I'm wearing insect repellent........especially on my underwear. That's where the ticks like to getcha.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used to feel the same way until a tick bite put me in Intensive Care for a week with a heart rate of 27, a temporary pacemaker installed and a month of IV antibiotics through a port in my arm. This happened last July.

Now, I'm wearing insect repellent........especially on my underwear. That's where the ticks like to getcha.

I remember that. I probably would too if I'd gone through what you did. Where I hunt doesn't seem to have a giant tick problem. Plus, I generally don't start deer hunting til the third week of October, when most of them buggers have gone dormant.

If you're not trophy hunting,keep it simple.The original "red/black" camo with work boots worked for generations.:innocent0

Attachments

• when-all-else-4.jpg
      when-all-else-4.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 287
    • th-3.jpeg
      th-3.jpeg
      14.4 KB · Views: 281
    • jhunt2.jpg
      jhunt2.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 283

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    If you're not trophy hunting,keep it simple.The original "red/black" camp with work boots worked for generations.:innocent0

Truth!!! Lots of deer were killed before scent lock and crazy camo patterns. I have a picture somewhere with me wearing my blue carhartt jacket and black bibs overalls

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just give me a Bowie knife and a tree to fall from and I'll take down that deer. Jump on his back, reach down and slit it's throat, then hang on until the deer drops dead. ;)

That's how I do it.... wanna buy some waterfront property? :lol2:

Good Luck to the OP.

Here's what I do (after $1,000's of new and improved gimmicks/gadgets);wash clothes in unscented detergent and hang outside or in bag with dirt/leaves,shower with unscented soap.One or 2 pins on bow (20 & 30,15 & 25,etc.) spray with H.S. scent eliminator before heading in.If local,Win. 30-30 with open sights or Mossy with open sights,if traveling the Win. is a back up gun to a couple choices,usually scoped .308 or .270.Knife is a Schrade Sharp finger (110 Buck works),piece of rope,first aid kit and lunch.KISS rule applies since I doubt you're doing a spike camp in Bob Marshall or Jackson Hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom