Is their any rational behind using thread lock on a AR pistol buffer tube.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    A buddy of mine had a pistol lower assembled by a gunsmith at a LGS. He bought a law tactical folding stock adapter and asked me to install it for him. I read up on it a saw that it didn't involve anything above my skill lever so I told him I would do it. I took a look at the lower and noticed the castle nut on the buffer tube was not staked which I though was odd but also was going in to make the install easier. Then I discovered that the gunsmith used thread lock on the castle nut and on the buffer tube possibly. From what I have learned thread lock should not be used.

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    From what I have learned thread lock should not be used.

Am I wrong?

No, you're very much correct. The locking liquid often stays a liquid for quite some time before finally curing, and can (and does) frequently creep into the buffer retainer hole just in front of the buffer tube, and lock up the retainer and spring....which can cause all sorts of serious problems.

Just stake the castle nut in accordance with the spec, and it ought to be just fine. Clean all that thread locker off first though.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    No, you're very much correct. The locking liquid often stays a liquid for quite some time before finally curing, and can (and does) frequently creep into the buffer retainer hole just in front of the buffer tube, and lock up the retainer and spring....which can cause all sorts of serious problems.

Just stake the castle nut in accordance with the spec, and it ought to be just fine. Clean all that thread locker off first though.

I don't have anything that may generate enough heat to loosen the thread locker. I don't want have to buy him a new lower if something gets warped in the buffer tube removal process either. I told him what should be don't and sent him back to the gunsmith who built it to fix it right.

That might not be a good idea though...

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    If having the original smith fix it fails. Your kitchen over will generate enough heat to loosen up most forms of lock-tite

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Did you try to break it loose? I've had to heat locktite a few times but I can usually break the bolt/nut loose without it.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    A simple propane torch (20 bucks at lowe's should set you up fine) should generate considerably more heat than is necessary.

This. Or a MAPP torch is even hotter for a few more bucks. But might be a bit much for this application.

Depends if he used red or blue Loctite, blue melts at a much lower temp. But both should give with enough heat.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    OP, just catch up with me - I'll loan you out my heat gun and mapp gas torch, take care of that issue really quick.

Can even stake the nut/endplate if you want.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    OP, just catch up with me - I'll loan you out my heat gun and mapp gas torch, take care of that issue really quick.

Can even stake the nut/endplate if you want.

Thanks for the offer but he had the LGS fix the issue and install the law tac adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom