• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I've decided I want a Walther PPK, I already have the P-99 so this will round out my 007 loadout:D. Are the new ones any good? I heard mixed reviews on the S&W made pistols.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have a few PPK's.....if you get a Manurhin PPK/s .380 its C&R. The French made PPK's are excellent or I get the ones made in W. Germany. The Newer S&W are gtg now, they worked out the bugs, apparently the safety block did not work or FTE. The older S&W had to go back for recalls.

Attachments

• Manurhin Walther PP c.jpg
      Manurhin Walther PP c.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 552

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Only Manurhin PPK and PP pistols are C&R, not the PPK/S. For quality and investment stick to Euro produced guns.

Attachments

• DSCN0363.JPG
      DSCN0363.JPG
      105.5 KB · Views: 522

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have a few PPK's.....if you get a Manurhin PPK/s .380 its C&R. The French made PPK's are excellent or I get the ones made in W. Germany. The Newer S&W are gtg now, they worked out the bugs, apparently the safety block did not work or FTE. The older S&W had to go back for recalls.

Wasn't there another thread about these that had information to the effect that there have not been any made in Germany since the NATO blasted the factory to dust in 1945?
    IIRC... The guns were made in France and shipped to Ulm for proofing. They were stamped "Ulm" but made in France.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Wasn't there another thread about these that had information to the effect that there have not been any made in Germany since the NATO blasted the factory to dust in 1945?
    IIRC... The guns were made in France and shipped to Ulm for proofing. They were stamped "Ulm" but made in France.

Yes, at least parts were made by St. Etienne. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. France used to be the finest and most innovative firearms manufacturer in the world. Sad what France is today.

All of my C&R and antique St. Etienne guns are first rate.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008

Huh? There was no NATO in 1945. The factory was not destroyed or bombed. It just ended up in East Germany.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

When did they figure it out? I had one a while ago and it was a pos. I'd consider getting another if they really fixed them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Me too. Have a PPQ M1, P99 AS, and more recently the P99 Compact (C) AS - which I love - very reliable and highly accurate for a smaller 9mm - have so much confidence in this gun. Been studying the PPKs (W. German, Interarms, etc), but will probably start with a new one in stainless.

Beautiful guns Dan44 and FPS! :thumbsup:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    PPK/S did not exist until after the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Correct....there were still made in W/G so they designed the PPK/s basically its the PP Frame (7 rounds) and PPK slide. this is why Walther contracted the US to make the to get round the law. The PPK is 6+1 while the PPK/s is 7+1 with a slightly longer pistol

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I have a PPK/S. I bought it last spring, new, S&W made.

Each vintage has its pros and cons. Older ones were notorious for slide bite that for some folks was pretty brutal (when the slide slices into the meat of the hand between thumb and index finger.) S&W fixed this with a larger beaver tail, and I have never experienced a hint of problem in that area.

There are a few issues with this pistol.

First, it is machined to very fine tolerances, and as a result, it is a pistol that requires some break-in. Many report the recoil spring is too tight out of the box, and you can't break it down until you run a box or two of ammo through it, which loosens it up. Second, all sorts of areas can be a mite gritty out of the box, which improves as you shoot it. From my experience, no less than 250 rounds, and perhaps 500 rounds are needed.

The chief thing to know is that this is an old (1920's?) blowback design. The only thing that keeps the breach closed is the tension from the recoil spring. For the mechanism to work well, requires the right balance between the strength of the recoil spring, and the recoil energy released by firing it. The impact of that point is that this pistol is sensitive to the brand of ammo you fire through it. Mine fires flawlessly on some brands, and suffers failures to fully return to battery with some others (ie, the slide does not fully slide back into place, and requires a slight nudge forward before you can fire the next round). Mine likes 95 grain ammo as a rule, but not 90 grain. I have no issues with hydroshock JHP by the way. Everyone seems to report that THEIRS has its own preferred diet, so do not stock up on a large supply of anything until you first run a box or two of it to see for yourself. Keep good records of what works for you and what does not.

I have confidence in mine for the hydroshock, which is what I keep in my home defense mag. I have less confidence in it with cheap ball FMJ until a brand is well tested.

Tolerances are so tight, it prefers a thinner oil, like ballistol, over heavier grease.

The fixed barrel and long slide rails help make it a very accurate pistol.

But it has the smallest sights of any pistol I've seen.

Ladies report trouble racking the slide. Not an issue for me.

I like mine. It is a keeper.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Well I finally bought one. $549. It's a stainless ppK/s model, as was expected. It's also new. Scratch another off the list... Well, knock on wood, of course. It still has to be delivered. Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom