• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    Ok I've been asked if the Saiga .223 rifles can still be purchased here in Maryland.

They posses non of the disqualifying features in the new 'copycat' requirements.

They are limited to 10 rounds (they use single stack magazines) and from what I can determine they even use a different fire control group than a standard AK.

So are they considered an AK (and thus on the on the original AW List - which are now banned)?

Or perhaps they can still be purchased?

Thanks!

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The rule of thumb here is that they're banned under the "Kalahnikov in any format" line. But then there's always that MSP bulletin that exempted sporting AK variants (Saigas, Norincos) from being regulated/banned. No one really knows.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Saigas (with the exception of shotguns) were largely considered regulated before the ban since they shared all the same parts with factory AKs. That didn't stop a few people from selling them as cash and carry but I doubt you could find an FFL that would take that risk post-SB281.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Well, if you DO find an FFL that will sell them in MD PM me their info... :innocent0

Before the ban, while arguably regulated, no one seemed to get their hand slapped for selling as a long gun. The MSP was either lawfully unable or otherwise ill-staffed to prosecute, but happy to recommend selling as regulated. Until the status of Saiga rifles is challenged in court, any FFL can decide for themselves.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    if they were bought as cash & carry, and you still have the letter defining them as such, and there was no 77r on them, i would think a non-regulated long gun could be sold face to face. i got my law degree in an MRE though. bastards replaced the skittles with 'em.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    if they were bought as cash & carry, and you still have the letter defining them as such, and there was no 77r on them, i would think a non-regulated long gun could be sold face to face. i got my law degree in an MRE though. bastards replaced the skittles with 'em.

LOL. You definitely drew the short straw. I'd take the skittles.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The problem is that the MSP letter references federal AWB sections in their justification, which is no longer there. Also, avtomat kalashnikov in all forms seems pretty dang broad to me. I don't see super veprs or sporter saigas being for sale in md anytime soon.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    LOL. You definitely drew the short straw. I'd take the skittles.

The candy's been disappearing for a while now, sadly. Something about making them "more healthy" or some horseshit like that.

Still three billion milligrams of sodium, but by golly they're getting rid of the one piece of morale inside. :\

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    You edited your post. It originally said unregulated.

Next time please don't try to change your story just so you can try and say someone else is wrong to feed your ego. Kthx.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I can't believe everyone keeps missing the big elephant in the room to determine if it is banned or not and that is if it is importable in its factory condition.

The MSP bulletin states this caveat that everyone overlooks. If the rifle is importable from overseas like the Saiga and it stays in its factory condition then it is just a normal rifle.

Remember we have had an import AWB since '89 that was further restricted in '98.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Saigas are GREAT guns. It's basically a factory Izhmash AK style sporting rifle

If you know enough about gunsmithing to secure a bullet guide it's not hard to do a conversion- not that I would suggest doing such a thing post SB-281

Just saying, I've seen Saiga conversions done by salt of the earth MDers that turned out better than --------------------
    And if you're willing to live with the sporting stock and the trigger being so far back all you have to do is change it to accept standard mags.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    A saiga in it's original state is not a bad gun by any means.

Had a .308 I wished I'd kept, that thing was a tack driver. Changed everything I thought I knew about AKs. Until that point I thought that when people said they were 'accurate enough' that it meant minute of man at 100 yards.

More like minute of fist.

A SMALL fist if I was having a good day

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    a stock set, a US made magazine, and some other paraphernalia and it's done, with no real modification to the gun it's self...

other than the mag well/bullet guide

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    a stock set, a US made magazine, and some other paraphernalia and it's done, with no real modification to the gun it's self...

other than the mag well/bullet guide

I know there are ways to make a sporter 922r compliant. I apologize, I thought you were saying that it would be ok to just use standard cap mags ("...all you have to do is change it to accept standard mags.")

That raises another interesting point though. Even IF you could get a dealer to sell sporter Saigas, you obviously could not do a full conversion. However, you would likely be making a banned Assault Long Gun if all you did was leave it in a sporter config and make is accept standard mags. It wouldn't be importable in that configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom