• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    As a disabled retired Military Veteran, will we just have to show our Military Id to purchase regulated firearms after Oct 1?

I called a few shops and they have no idea.

Redcat

Curmudgeon
    Oct 4, 2008
    Severn, MD
    Exceptions to possession of the HQL License -

Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.

From - MSP Handgun Qualification License Page

We may be the only ones able to buy regulated firearms during the first week of October....

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    My understanding was it was only an exemption from the training requirement. Its all such a mess and will all come down to how MSP interpret it. What blows my mind is I have a Md ccw so as of Oct 1 I can legally carry but I can't buy now how does that make sense.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    My understanding was it was only an exemption from the training requirement. Its all such a mess and will all come down to how MSP interpret it. What blows my mind is I have a Md ccw so as of Oct 1 I can legally carry but I can't buy now how does that make sense.

I have a hunch that there will be a few dealers will be under this same mistaken impression.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They'll fix this next session. The shooter this past week was retired military, and didn't Janet Napolitano say that all vets were potential terrorists??

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    The Navy Yard shooter was a Navy Reservist who was pushed out early. Not a retiree, nor combat vet.

The specific requirement of the statute is that you need a DoD issued ID card to qualify for the HQL exemption, which means either active or retired (as in qualified for retirement benefits). A DD-214 (discharge) just buys you a pass on the training requirement.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Talk about a weird law, Connecticut is going crazy Oct 1st. You will have to have a handgun owner license to BUY ammo. My wife resides there and therefore I commute often. I can carry legally under LEOSA, but I won't be able to walk into a shop and buy ammo or shoot at a range. I contacted CT State Police about it and the trooper started laughing. He agreed that it was absurd. He suggested that I obtain a non-resident license which would be almost automatic in my case.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    From MSP website.

Who Should Apply?
    A person may not purchase, rent, or receive a handgun after October 1, 2013 unless they possess a valid Handgun Qualification License (HQL) issued by the Maryland State Police or qualify for exemption status.

Exceptions to possession of the HQL License

1.A Licensed Firearms Manufacturer.
    2.Active law enforcement officer or a person retired in good standing from a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or a local law enforcement agency of the State.
    3.Active or retired member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card.
    4.A person purchasing, renting or receiving an antique, curio or relic as defined in federal law.
    5.Maryland licensed firearms dealers.

Required to have the HQL, but exempt from the training component

1.Someone who completed a certified safety course.
    2.Has completed a course of instruction in the competency and safety of firearms as prescribed under Natural Resources Article, §10-301.1, Annotated Code of Maryland. Application for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Hunter Safety Course Certificate can be obtained from here and may be used in lieu of Qualified Handgun Instruction.
    3.Is currently a qualified handgun instructor.
    4.Is an honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or National Guard.
    5.Is an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP.
    6.Lawfully owns a regulated firearm. If you already own a handgun or assault weapon prior to October 1, 2013, you do not have to complete the training to apply for the Handgun Qualification License.

It looks like many of us will be required to have the HQL, but will be exempt from the training part due to #6 above^^

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I don't think we need to get too comfortable with the law. Driving from the dentist yesterday, I had my radio tuned to one of the local all news channels.I wasn't really paying attention to what they were talking about until I heard "gun laws."
    Then of course I listened. Some turd from MD (name escapes me) was prattling on about how they just didn't go far enough with the new gun laws and there are "lot's more laws" that they will be bringing up for vote in 2014. I know that doesn't surprise anyone. I imagine we will eventually get to a point where only police are allowed to even own guns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't think we need to get too comfortable with the law. Driving from the dentist yesterday, I had my radio tuned to one of the local all news channels.I wasn't really paying attention to what they were talking about until I heard "gun laws."
    Then of course I listened. Some turd from MD (name escapes me) was prattling on about how they just didn't go far enough with the new gun laws and there are "lot's more laws" that they will be bringing up for vote in 2014. I know that doesn't surprise anyone. I imagine we will eventually get to a point where only police are allowed to even own guns.

Exactly.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    As a disabled retired Military Veteran, will we just have to show our Military Id to purchase regulated firearms after Oct 1?

I called a few shops and they have no idea.

You've been a MDS member for 4 years with over 400 posts and you haven't seen this discussed ad nauseum on this forum in multiple threads?

As they say in the military, there's always that 10% that don't get the word.

You don't have to have the HQL. You will still have to fill out the new 77R form, pay your application fee, and wait 8 days for pickup. My FFLs are all onboard with this. If your FFL is not going to accept your retired ID, find another FFL.

IANAL

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    You've been a MDS member for 4 years with over 400 posts and you haven't seen this discussed ad nauseum on this forum in multiple threads? As they say in the military, there's always that 10% that don't get the word. You don't have to have the HQL. You will still have to fill out the new 77R form, pay your application fee, and wait 8 days for pickup. My FFLs are all onboard with this. If your FFL is not going to accept your retired ID, find another FFL. IANAL
    I was a lurker up until December of last year. I know I know it says I don't need a HQL. I just couldn't find out for sure if all we had to show was Military ID or I still apply for a HQL using my ID. Thanks!

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I have a hunch that there will be a few dealers will be under this same mistaken impression.

No reason any dealer should be confused. The box to claim the exemption will be right there at the top of the 77R transfer form, along with places to enter the department of service and ID number.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    So I know that this has been argued before, but now with the new regs as written it says "Active Member" of the Armed Forces, not Active Duty. So are reservists now eligible as long as they have an ID card--either CAC or even the green ones? I remember when first written, it said Active Duty not Active Member, which are two completely different things. You can be an Active member of a Reserve Unit, just not on Active Duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom