• No - leave it just like it is

Votes: 47 94.0%

• Total voters

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've got this rifle that was "built" by my Dad, sometime around the late 60s/early 70s - I remember him having it from when I was pretty small, so it's not new by any stretch.

It started off as a Gewehr 98 Mauser, and he had it barreled for 25-06 Remington. He sent the bolt off to have a new bolt handle welded on, but the rest of the work - polishing the action, cutting down the magazine well for a slimmer profile, mounting the rings and scope, installing a Timney trigger, and finally stocking it - he did. He said he fitted the stock from a rough-out that he'd ordered - I don't know if he did the pistol grip cap and forend cap himself or not, and he's been gone since 1997, so he's not around to ask.

This rifle is really pretty amazing. I remember watching Dad use it for prairie dogs when I was growing up in Nebraska, and the guy rarely missed - I've seen him make shots on prairie dogs out past 300 yards, right on the money. In my own recent experience with it, I find that it's dead-on at 100 yards - it will put the bullet right in the center of the crosshair, so if I do my part, I'll absolutely hit what I'm aiming for.

Dad had some checkering tools, but I don't think he ever really got too involved with it - I don't think he had the patience to develop the skill to do it, and as a result, the stock on this rifle is smooth.

I've always felt that some checkering would add a lot to this old gun, but would it be a sacrilege to have it done? (I wouldn't dare attempt it myself - I'd send it to someone who knows what they are doing.)

If I did get it checkered, what would be a good style? Given the straight lines of the stock, I don't think rounded or fleur de lis patterns would look right, but I'm open to ideas.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Mauser2506.jpg
      Mauser2506.jpg
      42.7 KB · Views: 312

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I like it as is. If you get it checkered and dont like the checkering you cant replace your Dad's stock.
    Good point - I hadn't thought about that.

The stock could use a clean up/refinish - I'm pretty sure it was hand-rubbed with boiled linseed oil, so it wouldn't be hard to clean and freshen up - that's one of the nice things about an oil finish.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I was going to say the same thing. If you checker it, it will be difficult to refinish or even put a coat of wax on.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If your Dad always had some hope to checker it then by all means finish what he started . But i would leave it original if he never mentioned any extra work done on it .

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I've got this rifle that was "built" by my Dad, sometime around the late 60s/early 70s - I remember him having it from when I was pretty small, so it's not new by any stretch.

It started off as a Gewehr 98 Mauser...polishing the action, cutting down the magazine well for a slimmer profile, mounting the rings and scope, installing a Timney trigger, and finally stocking it - he did. He said he fitted the stock from a rough-out that he'd ordered ...

Dad had some checkering tools, but I don't think he ever really got too involved with it -

I don't think he had the patience to develop the skill to do it, and as a result, the stock on this rifle is smooth.

Thoughts?
    My thought is: He had the patience to do all the other work, if he thought it needed checkering, it sounds like he would have learned well enough to do it. It doesn't sound like he lacked patience which leads me to think he didn't think it needed it or wasn't worth the effort or cost, to him, to do or have done.
    I'd leave it, but it's now your rifle, what would future generations want?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Depends on how you would like it at this point. The son continuing the development of the rifle his father started. Two generations of work in it. I would say your heirs will gave something special.
    If you thinking of doing it just to do it, leave it as it is.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    It is beautiful. Leave as is, unless you get a different stock to checker. Really nice.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Leave It Alone! You can't improve on your Dad's Masterpiece.

It would be like adding notes to one of Mozart's symphonies or brush strokes to a Rembrandt.

But why not create you own Masterpiece and build your own rifle? Build your vision of what a rifle should be to add along to the family legacy.

Imagine your Son or Daughter comparing their Dad's to their Grandfather's rifle. A Grandfather they never met but know all about and remember each time they shoot his rifle.

That is a helluva Memorial and much better that staring at a hunk of cold granite in a cemetery on Memorial Day.

MDShooter20850

May 3, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    I am in a similar position - my father left me a 22lr rifle a few years ago. It isn’t worth much on the market, and needs some rather extensive cosmetic work, although it functions beautifully. But, it means a lot to me. So, should I fix it, or keep it as is. I opted to preserve it’s condition. Here’s why...

It has a story behind it that I will remember for the rest of my life. My Dad, early on and when I was very little, had an auto repair shop. One day, a stranger came by with a flat tire. Unfortunately, this person was down on his luck and couldn’t pay to have my Dad fix the tire. He offered my Dad this rifle in lieu of cash. Not that my father could afford this, but he did it to help out the stranger. (Transfers were much easier then, huh?)

A few years later, it became my childhood crow and groundhog hunting gun. I had left it there when I went off to college later on, but when he passed in 2017, I found it tucked away in a closet at his house and brought it to MD.

Somehow, this has been engrained in my brain for all these years - that you help a stranger out sometimes, because it’s the right thing to do. Corny perhaps, but I think of this every time I look at this gun. Through it, my Dad left me a valuable life lesson. Not to mention, that this rifle has been in my life for almost 60 years (with a gap in the middle while it “matured” at my parents’ house during my college and marriage years).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm with the others...leave it...but it's your choice. You do have an option...you can buy a second stock...either wood or synthetic that's checkered to use so as not to damage your dad's stock. Just leave his on it for display and pride of ownership.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Your Dad's rifle reminds me of the German Cigarette Rifles that US Troops on the early occupation/constablatory tours would bring home from the FRG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom