• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I'll be in town for a wedding on 4/30 and staying the week for another wedding on 5/7. I have time to kill and am looking at doing a chartered trip out of Annapolis.

A couple of questions-
    1. How is the fishing? Scarce, or are the big and hungry?
    2. What charter boats would you recommend out of Annapolis or Deale?

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    One of my best friends runs a 45ft boat out of Chesapeake beaxh. Just a bit further south, but he's a great captain. Sam gotsis 240-676-1098. Look up Katherine charter fishing on Facebook for their website as well.

Fishing has been decent. Should improve by the weekend you're looking at.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Want to bring this back up. My son is getting interested in fishing, and enjoys watching these more extreme fishing outfits (BlackTiph) on YouTube.

Say three adults, three under 12.

No deep sea, shark craziness.. but boat, out of Annapolis area.... Couple hours...

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Want to bring this back up. My son is getting interested in fishing, and enjoys watching these more extreme fishing outfits (BlackTiph) on YouTube.

No deep sea, shark craziness.. but boat, out of Annapolis area.... Couple hours...

What time of year? In the spring the only real game in town is large(r) migratory striped bass (Rockfish) as well as smaller Rock. Well blue cats too but I don't know of anybody with a boat capable of 6 plus crew going after them. I would recommend holding off the trip until summer when there are more species around (Blues, Spanish, White Perch, Rockfish) to keep the younguns interested. Trolling for hours hoping for a hit wears on even the more seasoned anglers. You can certainly request to only be out a couple hours but you will pay for a half or full day regardless. Go over to Tidalfish.com and poke around there. The traffic on that site has dropped off in recent years but people still do post fishing reports.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Check on the Maryland DNR website and see if they have posted what the Rockfish season will be this year. The season and regulations vary from year to year.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    What time of year? In the spring the only real game in town is large(r) migratory striped bass (Rockfish) as well as smaller Rock. Well blue cats too but I don't know of anybody with a boat capable of 6 plus crew going after them. I would recommend holding off the trip until summer when there are more species around (Blues, Spanish, White Perch, Rockfish) to keep the younguns interested. Trolling for hours hoping for a hit wears on even the more seasoned anglers. You can certainly request to only be out a couple hours but you will pay for a half or full day regardless. Go over to Tidalfish.com and poke around there. The traffic on that site has dropped off in recent years but people still do post fishing reports.

Thank you.

Definitely a more family friendly crew for this inexperienced angler group.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Check on the Maryland DNR website and see if they have posted what the Rockfish season will be this year. The season and regulations vary from year to year.

From Tidalfish...

"ASFMC striped bass meeting today to discuss last two weeks of July closure to fishing for them. Meeting is at 1:45 this afternoon. Md. DNR will be taking public comments until Feb. 16. Why I have no idea because they hardly ever pay attention to us anyway. Yeah I know I’m a tad negative on this but after over forty years of listening to this bs I have every right to feel like this."

Stay looney tuned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Talk to ChrisD here on the forum. He's a charter captain working out of the Rod and Reel in the spring season and Dundalk for the summer season.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    We anticipate the 2021 Rockfish season to open 1 May.

1-15 May, one fish per person, 35" minimum

16 May it switches to two fish per person, 19" minimum, only one of the two can be over 28"

Also anticipate a ~2 week closure in either July or August - this has yet to be finalized.

I run the Lucky Strike - USCG certified for 17 anglers
    https://luckystrikeii.com

Other Deale Charter Boats can be found here:
    http://www.dealecaptains.com/boats.htm

Sam Gotsis mentioned above on the Katherine II out of Chesapeake Beach is good people as well - a good guy and good fisherman as is Chris D.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    We anticipate the 2021 Rockfish season to open 1 May.

1-15 May, one fish per person, 35" minimum

16 May it switches to two fish per person, 19" minimum, only one of the two can be over 28"

Also anticipate a ~2 week closure in either July or August - this has yet to be finalized.

I run the Lucky Strike - USCG certified for 17 anglers
    https://luckystrikeii.com

Other Deale Charter Boats can be found here:
    http://www.dealecaptains.com/boats.htm

Sam Gotsis mentioned above on the Katherine II out of Chesapeake Beach is good people as well - a good guy and good fisherman as is Chris D.

Same as last year no? Recs the same as well? 1 fish min 19 with closures as charters.?

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    Not so fish focused

Check this one. Mike will not only fish but will plan other activities for you if the fishing is not so good or the kids get bored. https://capnmikesfullmoonadventures.com/

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Same as last year no? Recs the same as well? 1 fish min 19 with closures as charters.?

As far as I know, yes. I have been on the MD DNR and ASMFC Webinars and it appears as though the biggest change IF any will be the summer time closure. It has not been decided if it will stay in August or if it will switch to July.

If we have to have a summer time closure (which we do) I hope it stays in August - at least we Spanish Macs to chase then.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I fish the bay in summer and as much as I enjoy it they really should have a closed season for longer than 2 weeks. I would be ok with 4 weeks. These fish really need it. With all the fishing pressure and the extremely hot temperatures the fish mortality rate is not good for them during this time. I have seen all the dead fish floating out there. I know the charter captains won't want this but if we don't take steps to protect our resources we won't have them. Same with crabs. Just my 2 cents.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I fish the bay in summer and as much as I enjoy it they really should have a closed season for longer than 2 weeks. I would be ok with 4 weeks. These fish really need it. With all the fishing pressure and the extremely hot temperatures the fish mortality rate is not good for them during this time. I have seen all the dead fish floating out there. I know the charter captains won't want this but if we don't take steps to protect our resources we won't have them. Same with crabs. Just my 2 cents.

IMVHO, the Rock fishery should be shut down post haste. It is barely limping along right now. Take the lumps and have a thriving fishery in a few years. Or ride this crap fishery completely into the ground and take a decade or more to recover.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    As far as I know, yes. I have been on the MD DNR and ASMFC Webinars and it appears as though the biggest change IF any will be the summer time closure. It has not been decided if it will stay in August or if it will switch to July.

If we have to have a summer time closure (which we do) I hope it stays in August - at least we Spanish Macs to chase then.

Thanks and yeah agree Aug closure is better. Odd how the Spaniards have become so abundant and come so far north. They are nowhere near as easy to hammer like the silly schooled up Rock during the summer but some tighter limits on the Macs should be imposed IMO

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    It is to bad but seems like the DNR is just like the rest of Govt. and when it comes to laws and regulation there are a lot of politics involved.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    IMVHO, the Rock fishery should be shut down post haste. It is barely limping along right now. Take the lumps and have a thriving fishery in a few years. Or ride this crap fishery completely into the ground and take a decade or more to recover.

Stole my thunder. The striped bass are in the process of getting fished out again, and everyone is at fault: recreationals, charters, commercial, poachers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom