• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Greetings.

In building a Rifle is there any differences between the springs that could be used ? Quality vs Performance ( per say) or they all the same ?

Thanks.

Jack

NYRangers917

Oct 6, 2015
    Frederick, MD
    Greetings.

In building a Rifle is there any differences between the springs that could be used ? Quality vs Performance ( per say) or they all the same ?

Thanks.

Jack

What kind of rifle are you talking about? AR? Buffer spring or lower parts springs?

There are plenty of different types of buffer springs available for the AR platform, but the standard carbine or rifle spring has never done me wrong.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Check out what the manufacturer claims about how they are made. Properly pre-stressed and heat treated is as important as the material. Coil springs fail from repeated cycling. They have a limited life. Some will die arguing that coil springs can't take a "set" from being held compressed. Improperly manufactured springs will take a set (because they weren't pre-stressed in manufacture) and fail earlier than properly made ones.
    Ask me about MC M-16 magazine springs taking a set in in the 70's. Brand new mags out of the wrapper did because the springs inside were crap. Beware chinesium and lowbiddium alloys.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Check out what the manufacturer claims about how they are made. Properly pre-stressed and heat treated is as important as the material. Coil springs fail from repeated cycling. They have a limited life. Some will die arguing that coil springs can't take a "set" from being held compressed. Improperly manufactured springs will take a set (because they weren't pre-stressed in manufacture) and fail earlier than properly made ones.
    Ask me about MC M-16 magazine springs taking a set in in the 70's. Brand new mags out of the wrapper did because the springs inside were crap. Beware chinesium and lowbiddium alloys.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely take this into consideration when purchasing. .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I like Ron Springs...

Attachments

• ron-springs.jpg
      ron-springs.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 170

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads