• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A tight fitting fleece hood with a long neck area and a cut-out for the eyes is a damn toasty way to hunt.

Topped off with an oversized boonie hat. The boonie is the best head gear for breaking up that unnatural human shape known as the head.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A tight fitting fleece hood with a long neck area and a cut-out for the eyes is a damn toasty way to hunt.

Topped off with an oversized boonie hat. The boonie is the best head gear for breaking up that unnatural human shape known as the head.

...and is a great sound gatherer!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I used an under armor balaklava when it got cold. But I felt like it really did make hearing more difficult. I like the idea of trying a boonie hat - but I may be too much of a wimp about the cold to do that when it gets into the 20s!

I have a boonie hat that fits over; 1) a fleece cap with 2) a hooded type scent blocking face mask. My ears are not actually cover through all this. I can hear fine.

henn5849

Aug 29, 2009
    Cecil County, MD
    Toilet paper to lay on ground while following blood trail. This also keeps you from getting lost after you find your deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ...A small compass. After you shoot your deer, get a direction to the last point you saw your deer as it ran off while still up in your stand. You'll find things look a lot different when you are down on the ground. I have done this many times. It's a big help especially when it's raining or there isn't much of a blood trail to follow.

Also, I carry a space blanket and a Bic lighter, and a small roll of electric tape,just in case.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    biggie for a new hunter

after you shoot the deer

WAIT - longer than you want to, 10 to 15 minutes, look at your watch

if you get down right away - that deer will run for 2 miles
    if you wait - they usually run a little bit, then lay down and bleed out

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Sharp knife. No, TWO sharp knives. Knife sharpener.

As said previously, get a BRIGHT headlamp. You will want to have two hands free while doing anything.

Small package of wipes, to clean yourself/hands/arms afterward. Get the UN-scented ones.

Take extra Ziplock bags, for the heart and liver IF you want to preserve/cook/eat them.

Camera!!!!!!!

Rangefinder. Don't GUESS at the distance.

Have FUN.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    biggie for a new hunter

after you shoot the deer

WAIT - longer than you want to, 10 to 15 minutes, look at your watch

if you get down right away - that deer will run for 2 miles
    if you wait - they usually run a little bit, then lay down and bleed out

Excellent advice for new hunters.

A few times I found pools of blood 80 yards from where they were shot, but no deer.

I pushed them too hard too fast. And when they got up and started moving again, they were no longer leaving a blood trail.

If I had waited 30 minutes, I would have had Bambi on a bun.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Excellent advice for new hunters.

A few times I found pools of blood 80 yards from where they were shot, but no deer.

I pushed them too hard too fast. And when they got up and started moving again, they were no longer leaving a blood trail.

If I had waited 30 minutes, I would have had Bambi on a bun.

that's why i said look at your watch

in the moment, it may seem like 15 minutes but it was only 2 minutes

look at your watch - calm down, smoke a cigarette :lol2: - find a locator so when you come down, you know where you shot your deer, yea it happens, ya get down and don't know where you shot it other than - over there

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    bodorng-morph-orange.jpg

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I rub my hands in the dirt and leaves to clean them, it works. I also wipe out the deer with leaves too, not sure why, it's just something my uncle taught me to do for no good reason. Maybe it adds maple flavoring .

The simpler the better!

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    If your hunting a particular property have several stands. Know where the deer move mostly and try and access your stands without cross deer trails as much as possible.

Hunt the wind! I don't care how much scent lock you use and special soap otr try and not eat meat. Deer can still frickin smell you if you are down wind. So always stay upwind of them. pay attention to the wind direction and hunt a different stand that blows your scent away from the deer. I never worried about scent and wore rubber boots.

Learn to funnel deer.
    This works great when they are moving through an area using various trails and you can't pin them done to one all the time.
    1. Find Multiflora rose or some other thick crap and cut a trail through it, the deer will use it.

2. Cut a fence, if its not being use and "the owner says its ok". You can also tie the 1st and 2nd strands together and the 3rd and 4th to make a hole they can step through without damaging the fence. Again, check with the owner first

3. Where you can't alter the fence and they jump it, get 1' sticks and some cheap white yarn or string. Put the sticks on the posts sticking up. sting the yarn as a highest strand of the fence and leave 20' open where you have a stand. The deer will jump the fence there.

4. Find natural funnels like two wood lots connecting as they will move between them rather than walking out in a field

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I rub my hands in the dirt and leaves to clean them, it works. I also wipe out the deer with leaves too, not sure why, it's just something my uncle taught me to do for no good reason. Maybe it adds maple flavoring .

The simpler the better!

Hands, that is a good idea.

On the deer carcass, I would be leery. Spoilage is caused by moisture, dirt, or heat.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Hands, that is a good idea.

On the deer carcass, I would be leery. Spoilage is caused by moisture, dirt, or heat.
    When I hang them to skin and butcher I always spray them out very well with a hose. I can't imagine NOT rinsing the carcass twice, once before and once after skinning.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I hang them to skin and butcher I always spray them out very well with a hose. I can't imagine NOT rinsing the carcass twice, once before and once after skinning.

Only time it gets the hose from me is if it was a messy gut shot. And then, I immediately wipe it dry.

jaybee

Ultimate Member

yep....

found some hair/fur in the ground deer after processing (new, cheap, guy - never used him again)

complete turn off for the wife
    :tdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom