• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I'm searching for an M1A1 Bush rifle stock. Basically the walnut folding stock for the M14/M1A rifle. I was offered first dibs on one but when the gentleman told me what he wanted for it I about had a stroke! I know they are out there and some of you may even have one in the closet or know where I might find one that won't break the bank. I'd even be interested in buying the pistol grip and folding mechanism which I could mate to a USGI wooden stock myself to get the desired stock. Any angles you all might have to one of these or the mechanism would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for checking this out.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greetings!

I like the way you think, that would be a sweet setup for an m1a.

You may not be aware, but since he passage of FSA2013, Maryland has banned the sale of some 45 specific guns including the M1A. When you consider all the other guns that may be copy-cats, last count there were about 200 guns total that are currently considered 'assault rifles' and are banned in Maryland. Frankly this law is high profile because it was essentially rammed down and forced upon us by crooked politicians; many of whom have not been re elected in part because of this (possibly illegal) legislation. I personally believe it was a factor in O'Malley and his ilk losing elections and thrown out.

My point is, unless you buy a version of the M1A that isn't banned (talk to your local FFL), or you reside outside of Maryland, or help get the law changed, I don't think you can legally buy one today in Maryland. Lots of grandfathered guns that are ok to own and shoot in Maryland, only new sales and transfers prohibited (with some exceptions). The law is so poorly written, even the police disagree and we all struggle to understand it, many contradictions and mistakes. Just another chapter in the legacy of failure from our former governors office.

By the way, you should have posted this request in this subforum: http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Join MSI, help us fix some of these issues and make Maryland a better place!

Stay safe.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Oh wait. I see you are only looking for a stock not an M1A with a specific stock.

Cool. I should have read your post in detail the first time.

I looked for similar stock about a year ago; except I prefer poly over wood, and ideally a bull-pup design. All found were out of my price range and/or required 'fitting' to get them to work. Didn't pull the trigger on any of the few I found.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I have a SOCOM 16 and am playing around with a few different stocks that I got with the gun as a last minute/before the hammer fell purchase. I need something else for her to wear while I refinish the Mottled Birch stock I picked up shortly after getting the rifle. Thanks Minuteman! Now that I reread your post, I am interested in a bullpup stock too but the Juggernaut needs a little downsizing and streamlining before I would get one. The high sides around the forend of the M1A is too high and the pistol grip sticks out like it was an afterthought. Make it less square and lower profile and I'm all in. An aquaintance of mine showed the site for AG composites, if you haven't, check their site out they have some new stocks and options for the old girls that rock...the CBR with a folding stock mechanism is on my radar and can accept an AR butt of your choice.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Reese Surplus which is now out of business made a run of M14 folding stocks. They were sort of patterned after the Beretta BM 59 stocks. These stocks come up for sale now and then on Gunbroker. You could also join up on the M14 forum and post a want to buy ad. I bet someone has one they will part with. It probably won't be cheap though. Good luck.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Reese Surplus which is now out of business made a run of M14 folding stocks. They were sort of patterned after the Beretta BM 59 stocks. These stocks come up for sale now and then on Gunbroker. You could also join up on the M14 forum and post a want to buy ad. I bet someone has one they will part with. It probably won't be cheap though. Good luck.

I'm on M14Forum and cross posted there, I'm kind of hoping to find one in someone's parts bin or closet after years of not putting it to use. Saw one on Ebay, Gunbroker and was offered 1st crack at a new old stock mint condition walnut folder but the price tag was too steep. I just finished spray painting the SOCOM's original black plastic stock so it has something to wear while I refinish the USGI mottled birch stock she is in now.

001.jpg
    Not bad for a rattle can paint job! I think I want to get some clear flat duracoat for the final coat, I want a hard clear coat.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I'm on M14Forum and cross posted there, I'm kind of hoping to find one in someone's parts bin or closet after years of not putting it to use. Saw one on Ebay, Gunbroker and was offered 1st crack at a new old stock mint condition walnut folder but the price tag was too steep. I just finished spray painting the SOCOM's original black plastic stock so it has something to wear while I refinish the USGI mottled birch stock she is in now.

View attachment 143548
    Not bad for a rattle can paint job! I think I want to get some clear flat duracoat for the final coat, I want a hard clear coat.

I've never played with the newer Springfield Inc stocks. I have heard the new production stocks tend to be flexy and not the greatest, but again I have no personal experience with them. That paint job sure looks good though. Nice work!

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I've never played with the newer Springfield Inc stocks. I have heard the new production stocks tend to be flexy and not the greatest, but again I have no personal experience with them. That paint job sure looks good though. Nice work!

It's definitely not rigid like a fiberglass stock and I'm not into plastic stocks but it's not horrible to shoot and I like having choices of what she will wear form time to time. I can't wait to be done and put the metal back on the stock to see how she looks in it, I need a regular hand guard so I can ditch the forward rail and hand guard. Thanks for the compliment!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think A1 had some of these, not sure what they want but they are reasonable guys (its market but hey.........that's the point)

As noted above watch your Maryland Nanny State compliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom