• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    MD SB 281 states that military members are exempted from the law. Do they mean the whole law or just portions of it? Who really knows the answer?

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Portions. We're exempt from the training, as always.

We're exempt from the banned list if we buy it ourselves after getting it okayed for active duty use (not going to happen) like LEOs can do.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    We're exempt from the banned list if we buy it ourselves after getting it okayed for active duty use (not going to happen) like LEOs can do.

Oh really?.... Tell me more. Like dept letterhead? What level of authority? If I were purchasing "foreign weapons" to do a foreign weapons familiarization class this would constitute using personal weapons for govt business.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

Oh really?.... Tell me more. Like dept letterhead? What level of authority? If I were purchasing "foreign weapons" to do a foreign weapons familiarization class this would constitute using personal weapons for govt business.

I don't think this accurately describes the exception to the ban on "assault" and "copycat" firearms in SB 281. The exception to which I think you are referring (on p. 11 of the bill) applies to "members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard," but only "if acting within the scope of official business". The exception for transfer of such firearms to retirees applies only to law enforcement, not military (see page 12).

See also my summary of key provisions of the bill, paragraph no. 2.

Attachments

• sb0281EnrolledBill.pdf
      741.9 KB · Views: 193
    Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MD SB 281 states that military members are exempted from the law. Do they mean the whole law or just portions of it? Who really knows the answer?

Military gets exemptions from HQL (handgun qualification license) with appropriate Military ID and orders.

No exemption for purchase of an assault weapon after October 1.

Here is my reply with answers in another thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2342954&postcount=10

Sorry dude, if it is a banned item, you cannot personally buy it after October 1.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    Reservist and Fingerprinting

So I understand that military and vets are exempt from the training, but what about the exemption from fingerprinting? From what I have read, it just says something like "member of the Armed Forces or National Guard" So would that mean a reservist would be exempt from fingerprinting too since he/she is still a member of the Armed Forces?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    So I understand that military and vets are exempt from the training, but what about the exemption from fingerprinting? From what I have read, it just says something like "member of the Armed Forces or National Guard" So would that mean a reservist would be exempt from fingerprinting too since he/she is still a member of the Armed Forces?

Please see paragraphs no. 1 and 2 in my summary of the bill, here. If you want to see the actual language in the bill, it is linked there, and the page references are provided.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Anyone in the military has been fingerprinted, so I don't see a need (aside from harassment and to make money) for them to do it again.

It does not matter how many times you've been fingerprinted before or for what purposes -- it will have to be done again for the handgun qualification license. Most likely, it will be required that the application be submitted within a short time after the fingerprints are taken -- perhaps as little as five days.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It does not matter how many times you've been fingerprinted before or for what purposes -- it will have to be done again for the handgun qualification license. Most likely, it will be required that the application be submitted within a short time after the fingerprints are taken -- perhaps as little as five days.

Why? If you are already in the national database why do they need your prints again? Except for harassment and $$.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    I guess we will have to wait and see. I see the fingerprint exemption for Active Military and then National Guard--that just doesn't make sense, since National Guard drills the same or even less than Reserves do? And I do agree with the fingerprinting just being another way to suck money from the people. If they exempt Vets from the training, why do they have to pay to be fingerprinted yet again?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

Because that's what the bill says.

If you are already in the national database why do they need your prints again?

Good question, no good answer. The legislators who pushed the bill said that if you intend to buy a handgun in order to a prohibited person (i.e., if you intend to be a "straw purchaser"), then you will be dissuaded from doing so by the prospect of having your fingerprints taken at a State Police barracks. Don't ask me to explain why that makes sense, especially since the fingerprints will most likely be taken not at State Police barracks, but at private vendors from a list put together by the State Police. But that's what they said.

Except for harassment. . .

Why would Governor O'Malley want to harass veterans, who have served their country, maybe risked their lives to do so? What kind of fellow do you think he is? Why, he loves veterans. Just like he loves hunters. Just ask him, he'll tell you it's true.

. . . and $$.

It's not about money. The Maryland State Police aren't going to make any money off the fingerprinting, or the rest of it either. Truth is, most likely almost all of them would rather be chasing down bad guys and drunk drivers. But they don't make the laws.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Why? If you are already in the national database why do they need your prints again? Except for harassment and $$.

See my above post, per the bill starting on Page 26, line 18 Specifically starting at line 25), Military is exempt from the HQL: Also see Page 27, start at line 7 and then move to line 15 for your requirements.

No training, no fingerprints, not fee.

Link to bill: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Anyone in the military has been fingerprinted, so I don't see a need (aside from harassment and to make money) for them to do it again.

In my 8 years in the military, I was fingerprinted 10 different times for various reasons (mostly security clearances and read ins). DOD doesn't share any of their background check info with anyone, not even the rest of the military. So, if and when you can get that changed, then you can worry about only having to submit for one set of fingerprints.

Now, with regards to the bill and its requirements for military, see my above post.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

See my post above.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    All veterans are potential terrorists.

It wasn't me who said it. :rolleyes:

NOPE. IT WAS JANET NAPOLITANO, who is the SECRETARY OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

She didn't just "say" it either. SHE PUT IT INTO AN OFFICIALLY RELEASED REPORT FROM HER DEPARTMENT.

According to her, veterans are the lowest of the low, and CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    NOPE. IT WAS JANET NAPOLITANO, who is the SECRETARY OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

She didn't just "say" it either. SHE PUT IT INTO AN OFFICIALLY RELEASED REPORT FROM HER DEPARTMENT.

According to her, veterans are the lowest of the low, and CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

Great, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom