• ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    That is a thing of beauty...

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
    The Congress finds the following:
    (1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects the fundamental right of an individual to keep and bear arms, including for purposes of individual self-defense.
    (2) The Supreme Court of the United States has recognized this right in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, and in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, has recognized that the right is protected against State infringement by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
    (3) The Congress has the power to pass legislation to protect against infringement of all rights protected under the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
    (4) The right to bear arms includes the right to carry arms for self-defense and the defense of others.
    (5) The Congress has enacted legislation of national scope authorizing the carrying of concealed firearms by qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.
    (6) Forty-eight States provide by statute for the issuance to individuals of permits to carry concealed firearms, or allow the carrying of concealed
    firearms for lawful purposes without the need for a permit.
    (7) The overwhelming majority of individuals who exercise the right to carry firearms in their own States and other States have proven to be law-abiding, and such carrying has been demonstrated to provide crime prevention or crime resistance benefits for the licensees and for others.
    (8) The Congress finds that preventing the lawful carrying of firearms by individuals who are traveling outside their home State interferes with the constitutional right of interstate travel, and harms interstate commerce.
    (9) Among the purposes of this Act is the protection of the rights, privileges, and immunities guaranteed to a citizen of the United States by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
    (10) The Congress, therefore, should provide for national recognition, in States that issue to their own citizens licenses or permits to carry concealed handguns, of other State permits or licenses to carry concealed handguns.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    I guess Slaughterhouse is still alive.

:sad20:

I am not a lawyer. Does this really draw on Slaughter-House for justification? The bill doesn't as much define state law as it does regulate interstate recognition of concealed carry permits.

It only grants reciprocity in states that issue permits to their own residents and doesn't seem to seek to change any aspect of states gun laws.

To me this seems to be directly analogous to drivers licenses. This actually seems to be something that should fall under interstate commerce.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I am not a lawyer. Does this really draw on Slaughter-House for justification? The bill doesn't as much define state law as it does regulate interstate recognition of concealed carry permits.

It only grants reciprocity in states that issue permits to their own residents and doesn't seem to seek to change any aspect of states gun laws.

To me this seems to be directly analogous to drivers licenses. This actually seems to be something that should fall under interstate commerce.

Bingo.

• (8) The Congress finds that preventing the lawful carrying of firearms by individuals who are traveling outside their home State interferes with the constitutional right of interstate travel, and harms interstate commerce.
    • (9) Among the purposes of this Act is the protection of the rights, privileges, and immunities guaranteed to a citizen of the United States by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

Note the P&I reference there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Except MD will issue me a DL, not a CCW permit. Huge difference in my mind.

If I am correct it says your Federal due process rights are not a state issue. Patrick will correct me if I am wrong as usual.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Bingo.

• (8) The Congress finds that preventing the lawful carrying of firearms by individuals who are traveling outside their home State interferes with the constitutional right of interstate travel, and harms interstate commerce.
    • (9) Among the purposes of this Act is the protection of the rights, privileges, and immunities guaranteed to a citizen of the United States by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
    Note the P&I reference there.

Yes but every state issues DL's. How do you apply a due process protection to only state residents that issue CCW's?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Any idea of when this bill will be heard?

It's in House Judiciary. Probably won't get heard for a week or two at best. Keep in mind the critters have this week off.

More likely it gets heard around the time the Senate side gets on with Thune and his amendment. I am guessing Thune will attach to the budget limit increase. Not sure when that is scheduled to come up..but I know it is soon.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Another point about the text of the bill: as written it says that a state must accept permits issued by a state, unless the person is a resident of the state in question.

So this:

(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law ..., and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun ... that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that

Been going around with some other people at CalGuns and we all agree: this means your non-resident Florida permit is good everywhere but Maryland (and Illinois and Wisconsin). The only place it fails is your home state and in states that offer no permit.

So if WI and IL change their laws to issue permits this year, the only place in this nation you could not carry would be your home state.

That is what we call serious pressure.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Frosh is probably having a meltdown reading into what this bill would mean for his power over gun owner rights in Maryland.

He'll be pleased to know that the people of 49 states will be able to carry in Montgomery County.

I expect to see some jurisdictions trying to slap Disorderly Conduct on carriers in lieu of possession. The text of this bill is strong though - "fundamental right" and the need for people to carry for defense of themselves and others. The will of Congress will trump localities.

Those "findings" are also what you could call an "affirmative defense".

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm also looking closely at this part:

‘‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or
    ‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

I'm thinking this could cover DC as well since their CCW statutes are still in place. I think the Thune Amendment last year said something like "state that issues carry permits", which would probably eliminate DC. This is the language I was hoping for.

Fideo

Aug 27, 2009
    NoVA
    DC is included.

One more reason for the residents to move to the burbs. Move to Virginia and carry in Maryland and DC.

I'd love not having to worry about getting on 66 headed the wrong way. Unfortunately it wouldn't help me too much in DC, as I am always going in to meet in Federal buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom