• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    10:08 Tom: The difference between the majority and Justice Thomas doesn't affect the fact that the Second Amendment now applies to state and local reguation. Monday June 28, 2010 10:08 Tom

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    This is a punt. Goes to show that SCOTUS has no desire to enforce the Constitution any more, or ready it as it is written.

Reversed and Remanded, without the b@!!$ to say just how far the right goes. Not surprised, and we will see NO change other than that, state, local, fed, can't come and grab them (until they think of a way to work around the rulings).

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    "Erin: The opinion leaves the fate of the Chicago gun ordinance in the hands of the 7th Circuit on remand. "

This is why this opinion is a FAIL.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah, everyone is in here chearleading, but I do not see this as a win, I see it as a complete punt. I understand that they just now gave the lower court a mandate that says "you have to allow some ownership, but we will not give you a standard within which you can work."

It's a failed opportunity to actually enforce the rule of law, and just one more nail in the coffin of freedom.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    It's more like every other firearm rights win - we gain a foot or two when by all rational and logical thought we should have won miles. Had it been any other subject than guns, we would have won miles of progress.

However, we are still moving towards freedom. Its just always a longer road than it should be. It should have been a huge win and now its merely a small win.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The right to keep
    and bear arms must be regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a
    prohibition that could be ignored so long as the States legislated inan evenhanded manner.

Yeah, everyone is in here chearleading, but I do not see this as a win, I see it as a complete punt. I understand that they just now gave the lower court a mandate that says "you have to allow some ownership, but we will not give you a standard within which you can work."

It's a failed opportunity to actually enforce the rule of law, and just one more nail in the coffin of freedom.

I'm still reading, but if they make this a "substantial" and "fundamental" right, the lower court must support a strict interpretation of 2A.

Remanding the case back is not necessarily a punt. They get to apply the Court's decision and then the losers get to re-appeal back to the top of the list. Or the Supreme Court can say refuse to hear the new decision, meaning it passes muster. It is a way of fast-forwarding the appeals process and avoid having to use new cases to get back up to the top. Also, it puts the lower court in the position of potentially monitoring Chicago's follow-on actions. This is inappropriate for the USSC, but fine for a Circuit.

Guys, I am still reading and am not a lawyer. But I have not seen anything bad. Yet.

EDIT: Note the above text is from the Syllabus, not the order.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    The right to keep
    and bear arms must be regarded as a substantive guarantee, not a
    prohibition that could be ignored so long as the States legislated inan evenhanded manner.

Thinking that could be a basis for attacking arbitrary "may issue" state laws (like MD) on CCW. Could also be used to attack the practice of "allowed gun lists" and possibly executive orders banning importation.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thinking that could be a basis for attacking arbitrary "may issue" state laws (like MD) on CCW. Could also be used to attack the practice of "allowed gun lists" and possibly executive orders banning importation.

Bingo, if it holds throughout the decision. Still looking for that "reasonable restrictions" equivalent in Heller.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    so long as the States legislated in an evenhanded manner.

Nothing will change in MD. Sorry to say. It's open to interpretation and who is doing the interpreting in MD?..the same folks that don't give a f*&^. At best it will be status-quo here in MD.

Sucks big time....or maybe I'm being too pessimistic....

Thinking thdon't gat could be a basis for attacking arbitrary "may issue" state laws (like MD) on CCW. Could also be used to attack the practice of "allowed gun lists" and possibly executive orders banning importation.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Husband of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg Dies

Martin David Ginsburg, husband of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, died Sunday at his home in Washington, D.C., due to complications from metastatic cancer, a press release from Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/27/husband-supreme-court-justice-ginsburg-dies/

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissented in Heller and wondered why the right to bear arms was necessary to extend to the states. "f the notion is that these are principles that any free society would adopt, well, a lot of free societies have rejected the right to keep and bear arms."

...yup, that's who we have interpreting law

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I am severely dissapointed. They had a great chance here to set the stage for freedom, and they shrugged it off. It is only a win, but barely so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom