• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Hang on to your seats:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/todays-orders-40/

The Court has granted certiorari in the following 10 cases. The full order list is available here. (Note: PDFs may load slowly because of high traffic to the site. Thanks for your patience.)
    (...)

Docket: 08-1521
    Title: McDonald, et al. v. City of Chicago
    Issue: Whether the Second Amendment is incorporated into the Due Process Clause or the Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment so as to be applicable to the States, thereby invalidating ordinances prohibiting possession of handguns in the home.

* Opinion below (7th Circuit)
    * Petition for certiorari (08-1521)
    * Brief in opposition
    * Petitioner’s reply (08-1521)
    * Brief amicus curiae of Arms Keepers
    * Brief amici curiae of Texas, et al
    * Brief amicus curiae of National Shooting Sports Foundation, Inc.
    * Brief amicus curiae of American Civil Rights Union
    * Brief amici curiae of Institute for Justice, and Cato Institute
    * Brief amicus curiae of California
    * Brief amici curiae of Gun Owners of America, Inc.,et al.
    * Brief amici curiae of Constitutional Law Professors

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Good news.

If they follow the same timeframe as with the heller case, i would expect a decision by the end of june 2010.

Sep 16, 2009
    This Chicago incorporation case can really open the door for gun rights across the nation. Alan Gura is once again the lead lawyer, he won the Heller case. I can't wait to see how the Supreme Court rules. I am betting that the Second Amendment will be incorporated.

Brooksy

Mar 21, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I had the pleasure of speaking with Clark Neilly (one of the other lawyers who worked with Alan Gura on Heller and this case) about a year ago this time, and he seemed rater confident that the 2A would eventually be incorporated.

He explained that a historical examination of the debates of the 14A made clear that an individual right to self-defense was one of, if not the, most important aspect that the ratifiers intended to extend. That being because they found it crucial for post-Civil War African-Americans to be able to defend themselves and not be dispossessed of their weapons, given the obvious race tensions that still existed in much of the country.

What I find even more interesting is the Court's statement of the issue in granting cert which says:
    Whether the Second Amendment is incorporated into the Due Process Clause or the Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment so as to be applicable to the States, thereby invalidating ordinances prohibiting possession of handguns in the home.

Could they really be reviving the P&I clause? Neilly was asked this question and didn't put much faith in the Court taking that approach. For further reading see the ACRU amicus curiae brief which explains how the 2A could be incorporated through the P&I without overruling the Slaughter-House cases.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    ...thereby invalidating ordinances prohibiting possession of handguns in the home.

The words I put in bold indicate that additional hearings will be needed to really incorporate the 2nd. Or am I just being narrow minded?

Brooksy

Mar 21, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    No, you are absolutely right. That was Neilly's other major talking point, that he didn't see Heller or incorporation greatly changing the landscape. Yes, it may now allow those in DC and eventually Chicago to own weapons in their home. But I got the impression he felt Scalia left a lot of room for allowable restrictive gun control in Heller and that the other cases coming down the pipeline would be similarly tailored.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Palmer is currently challenging DC's carry ban, incorporation would let that same result apply in MD. The MSP had better hire extra handgun division staff if both of those go our way.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    It is hard to argue, I think, that one can allow the keeping without allowing the bearing, if you will. I can see a lot of wiggle room between concealed and open carry, but one cannot simply add "in the home" to an amendment without following the amendment process. Nevertheless and logic notwithstanding, I imagine we'll see incorporation, then another 5 to 10 year wait while some lucky lawsuit finds it's way to the supreme court to test "and bear"... I hope, however, that states (MD, are you listening?) will see the light and see that "and bear" is as fundamental as "keep" and do the right (pun intended!) thing.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I'm scared.

I hope to god it is incorporated. But what happens if it isn't?

Judges don't rule based on partisan politics, hopefully. Who knows whether ONE of the justices that voted for heller believes that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to the states? It is conceivable. If everyone votes the way they did on heller, we're golden.

Unfortunately I don't see that outcome. I pray to god that i'm wrong.

It is harder to argue that the 2nd amendment applies to the states than it is to argue that it applies to DC. Much harder.

I hope the heller voters vote in our favor once again.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Issue: Whether the Second Amendment is incorporated into the Due Process Clause or the Privileges or Immunities Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment so as to be applicable to the States, thereby invalidating ordinances prohibiting possession of handguns in the home.

links work.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

links work.

Alan Gura is scheduled to be on the KoJo Nnamdi Show this Friday at 12:06pm on 88.5 FM to discuss the case.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    It is hard to argue, I think, that one can allow the keeping without allowing the bearing, if you will. I can see a lot of wiggle room between concealed and open carry, but one cannot simply add "in the home" to an amendment without following the amendment process. Nevertheless and logic notwithstanding, I imagine we'll see incorporation, then another 5 to 10 year wait while some lucky lawsuit finds it's way to the supreme court to test "and bear"... I hope, however, that states (MD, are you listening?) will see the light and see that "and bear" is as fundamental as "keep" and do the right (pun intended!) thing.
    See Footnote #9 in Heller. Scalia cited a number of cases holding that concealed carry could be banned in support of his "the 2A is not unlimited" position, but those cases all ruled that such bans could only stand because open carry was legal in each situation. :D

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Can private citizens file Friend of the Court briefs?

I think MSI should file a brief, especially highlighting the discriminatory practices. That would give the court another angle.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    Can private citizens file Friend of the Court briefs?

I think MSI should file a brief, especially highlighting the discriminatory practices. That would give the court another angle.

A "gun control is racist" argument (which is very easily supported) might be beneficial, and throwing it in the face of the chicago machine would be damn entertaining.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Great news it made my day. A revival of the P&I clause would be fantastic as well. The Slaughter-House cases are one of the two or three worst decisions in Supreme Court History IMO. Can’t wait to see what happens.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    A "gun control is racist" argument (which is very easily supported) might be beneficial, and throwing it in the face of the chicago machine would be damn entertaining.

I'd attack it from the "these states allow open/concealed carry but the MD gov't is actively infringing its citizens' right to carry, where is our equal protection?" angle.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It seems like it should be a slam-dunk win for 2A rights, but I'm always uneasy about this kind of thing. The Heller decision, unfortunately, openend the door for registration, even if it was a major win.

We could win this decision, and at the same time it might result in the nationwide official registration of all of our guns, which would be a bad move IMO.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a simple question. If the Bill of Rights does not apply to the States, then to whom does it apply? Since we are all residents of States (With the exception of D.C., Puerto Rico, the USVI, American Samoa etc.), then the Bill of Rights is absolutely worthless.

The 10th Amendment states: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The Second Amendment clearly says the "Right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Shouldn't this prohibit states from passing laws restricting keeping and bearing firearms??

The 14th Amendment also comes into play:

"ll persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States"

I don't get it/

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom