• ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Plus theres this:

"Hasser is currently the only Marine at Devil Dog Arms"

"And though the company is not veteran-owned"
    https://www.guns.com/news/2017/04/2...ompany-born-again-after-stolen-valor-incident

Great, so they found a marine willing to be a frontman(hopefully a real one this time....just sayin), and the rest is just marketing.

This with the cast frames of dubious provenance (i agree with MexicanBob, good casting can be better than a bad forging....these frames are suspect until proven otherwise)

I dont have an axe to grind against DevilDog arms, but too many things sound fishy to me. I am really getting the vibe that this company is trying to turn a profit off of USMC esprit de corps, and nothing more.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    At that price they are loaded with MIM. Not bad if the MIM is good, just not the premium an all steel machine parts gun would run. The cast frame, if done well, will hold up fine.

Agreed, the beavertail fit is lacking. Other production guns out there have a better beavertail fit and blend, though not seemless. The checkering is a $120 option on many similar guns. Slide cut alignment, eh, typical. $1,000 gun...same as Sig save the forged frame. Unlike Sig, maybe Devil Dog knows where the center of the primer is. I wouldn't buy it personally but others have.

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I had a chance to shoot several at Peacemaker during the NRA World Shooting Championship last year. I found the Devil Dog 1911 to be a great gun. Not sure what the price was as they were there for our use. Guys in my squad found the ones we had were solid pistols.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I had a chance to shoot several at Peacemaker during the NRA World Shooting Championship last year. I found the Devil Dog 1911 to be a great gun. Not sure what the price was as they were there for our use. Guys in my squad found the ones we had were solid pistols.

I’ll take your first hand experience and opinion over the other naysayers sitting at their keyboards. Thanks.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I’ll take your first hand experience and opinion over the other naysayers sitting at their keyboards. Thanks.
    Just a fair warning: I can only compare it to my Remington R1 that was tuned up by John Carduner. Your experience with the Devil Dog 1911 may vary! I am not a 1911 devotee but have some Rock Islands that I find are perfect for me!

Jul 1, 2012
    WARNING: Thread divergence ahead...

Thought this would be about the decommissioned m45a1's that are out there.

me too :)

Wait, what? They just got those.

USMC returned a bunch of the early guns to Colt due to issues with the Cerakote finish. 1000 of those got released to a wholesaler and sold to the public on Gunbroker in what can best be described as a chaotic shit-show.

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    USMC returned a bunch of the early guns to Colt due to issues with the Cerakote finish. 1000 of those got released to a wholesaler and sold to the public on Gunbroker in what can best be described as a chaotic shit-show.

Yes it was!

As to 9mm 1911's....get one, you may soon end up with more than one.
    They're what I shoot the most lately (always subject to change).
    I like the 1911 platform overall, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and the recoil reduction is much appreciated by my achy thumbs.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Yes it was!

As to 9mm 1911's....get one, you may soon end up with more than one.
    They're what I shoot the most lately (always subject to change).
    I like the 1911 platform overall, 9mm is cheaper to shoot and the recoil reduction is much appreciated by my achy thumbs.

I realized the cost difference in the 2012-14 ammo and reloading components fiasco. Toward the beginning of it I was shooting steel loads in practice one day and happened to look behind me when refilling the mag for another string of fire. I looked at the brass on the ground. I quickly calculated the reloading costs and quickly regretted selling the 9mm Springer Mil Spec I had.

Throw in reasonable slide speed for the lower recoil generated and it has its advantages over comparable light steel loads in 45 ACP.

Bill Wilson once said a future market in 1911’s is it being chambered in 9mm Luger.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I got to handle one of the single stack 9s at Peacemaker. Not as nice as my STI, but better than my Colt. They were 15% off during the 3-gun match. Wish I had $930 available. I'll probably pick one up at the next match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom