• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Was at PG Trap & Skeet this morning and bought some shot.

Lawrence Brand hard shot for $40/25 pound bag.

Anybody else getting shot cheaper? If so, where?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Shydas was a little cheaper 37 or so last couple bags I bought but their powder prices were the same as internet providers so if I factor in time and fuel I'm better off ordering online. I've pretty much stopped reloading 12 gauge except for my specialty loads for my vintage shotguns.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    May I ask here if the difference in reloading $ vs Manufactured $ in the shot world are currently similar to pistol/rifle? I do not shotgun much ... just a curiosity.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    May I ask here if the difference in reloading $ vs Manufactured $ in the shot world are currently similar to pistol/rifle? I do not shotgun much ... just a curiosity.

Very similar in that much depends on what you're shooting. That is, if your primary focus is upon cost.

Think of 12ga like 9mm and .223. Think 28ga like loving to shoot 41 magnum, amongst many other similar examples.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Very similar in that much depends on what you're shooting. That is, if your primary focus is upon cost.

Think of 12ga like 9mm and .223. Think 28ga like loving to shoot 41 magnum, amongst many other similar examples.

Exactly this.

I reload 12 gauge because I have specific loads that I like to make in red AA, grey AA, green STS, and yellow STS hulls.

I reload 28 gauge and .410 because it really cuts down on the cost.

Until I get a progressive metallic press, I doubt I will reload for 9mm or .223 except for very specific rounds I want for home defense or hunting. Not even sure I would reload for 9mm or .223 with a progressive press.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Shydas was a little cheaper 37 or so last couple bags I bought but their powder prices were the same as internet providers so if I factor in time and fuel I'm better off ordering online. I've pretty much stopped reloading 12 gauge except for my specialty loads for my vintage shotguns.

Shydas was the one I was thinking about when I posted this thread last night. Remembered SquareGrouper stopping by there recently and was wondering what the difference in cost was. $3 per bag isn't really worth it, especially if driving the truck up there. However, makes complete sense if you just happen to be in the area for something else.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    John, I'm not seeing the savings, it looks to be more expensive than new shot from PG.
    I agree. Now that I looked at the prices, I don't understand it. They used to be a lot cheaper. Now it makes for sense to buy new stuff. :shrug:
    Wow....my dad hasn't reloaded for a couple of years, but he was getting reclaimed from someone at Oxford gun Club at almost half the dollars of new. BTW- Dad loved it, loaded ok (MEC 9000 on an Automate) and he shot meat shoots at Oxford very successfully every Thursday evening.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Traditionally I’ve gone to Shyda’s. I go with friends and we split the gas. Only do it once or twice a year. Go to lunch. Stop at other gun shops. One being Richlands Shooters Supply. It’s just down the road from Shyda’s. They also carry reloading supplies. We have a good time. A couple of tips with Shyda’s. Bring cash or check, they charge extra for credit card use. You get a dollar off per bag if you buy 10 or more bags. They sell Eagle brand shot for $36.00 in addition to West Coast at $37.00. They’re cheaper on the other components too.

Two other options if you happen to be near them.

CAC Associates—West of Altoona PA. Shot is $35.15/bag for West Coast.

https://cacassociatesinc.com/index.html

Hagerstown Moped—Owner is a Skeet Shooter. He’s buying from CAC. At one time PG was buying from CAC too. I don’t know if they still do or not.

https://www.hagerstownmoped.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom