SAF files for cert in Drake (NJ may-issue)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    How do they handle bounty hunters? ;)

Personally I think we should just give every violent offender in the nation a free bus ticket to NJ NY CA and MD.

Its not like they aren't coming eventually..

Bounty hunters? I don't think they exist here. They probably require a PI license as well

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    How do they handle bounty hunters? ;)

Personally I think we should just give every violent offender in the nation a free bus ticket to NJ NY CA and MD.

Its not like they aren't coming eventually..

Bounty hunters get treated just like Almeida and told to change jobs so they won't need to carry. I posted the case on this thread.

If we can't get carry through SCOTUS I'd venture to say going after any and all records of permits granted should be the next step. Expose any hypocrites and any judges giving to their golfing buddies for flimsy "justifiable need".

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Unfortunately the same laws that prevent gun owners should being exposed in the paper prevent this too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Bounty hunters get treated just like Almeida and told to change jobs so they won't need to carry. I posted the case on this thread.

If we can't get carry through SCOTUS I'd venture to say going after any and all records of permits granted should be the next step. Expose any hypocrites and any judges giving to their golfing buddies for flimsy "justifiable need".

That was Evan's suggestion. How is another story. We passed a law last year preventing gun permit records from becoming public.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    That was Evan's suggestion. How is another story. We passed a law last year preventing gun permit records from becoming public.

Would this prevent freedom of information inquiries for aggregate information (e.g. breakdown of professional backgrounds of permit holders, proportion with LEO experience, number of new approvals per annum, proportion of approvals over rejections, etc)?

Obviously finding out what the justifiable need is for newly approved permit holders without an LEO background would also be interesting information to divine out.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Would this prevent freedom of information inquiries for aggregate information (e.g. breakdown of professional backgrounds of permit holders, proportion with LEO experience, number of new approvals per annum, proportion of approvals over rejections, etc)?

Obviously finding out what the justifiable need is for newly approved permit holders without an LEO background would also be interesting information to divine out.

Aggregates are fine but just raw numbers of permits by town. Names and addresses and details about the permit including who has what experience are not. NJSP stats say 500-600 permits are issued per year with a 92% approval rate.

We also have a law that says that any citizen can challenge anyone's permit. So if you know someone that has one you can challenge it in court and it can be revoked.

I have a feeling that most of the issued permits are security guards. Everyone I know with one is a security guard restricted permit.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Aggregates are fine but just raw numbers of permits by town. Names and addresses and details about the permit including who has what experience are not. NJSP stats say 500-600 permits are issued per year with a 92% approval rate.

We also have a law that says that any citizen can challenge anyone's permit. So if you know someone that has one you can challenge it in court and it can be revoked.

I have a feeling that most of the issued permits are security guards. Everyone I know with one is a security guard restricted permit.[/QUOTE]

In CA, they have been able to force sheriffs to turn over all successful "good cause" statements, then the names and personal info could be redacted. This would be what's needed here.

What (or who) are those people guarding?

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    In CA, they have been able to force sheriffs to turn over all successful "good cause" statements, then the names and personal info could be redacted. This would be what's needed here.

What (or who) are those people guarding?

Typically they are armored car drivers, bodyguards or other armed security guards (guarding property and persons) from what I was told.

NJ law also has exemptions for places where a guard can carry without a permit - banks and nuclear plants off the top of my head.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    There will be a major update tomorrow regarding Almeida's case, but I'll wait for the official announcement from the parties involved.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    So basically Almeida is appealing and SAF is now backing the case. I may meet up with Alan Gottlieb tomorrow, but almeida certainly is.

Next step is appellate division of the NJ superior court, and then petition for writ to NJSC and then probably SCOTUS. Basically loading up this one in preparation for the next few years.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    So basically Almeida is appealing and SAF is now backing the case. I may meet up with Alan Gottlieb tomorrow, but almeida certainly is.

Next step is appellate division of the NJ superior court, and then petition for writ to NJSC and then probably SCOTUS. Basically loading up this one in preparation for the next few years.

Is there a separate, dedicated thread on this case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom