• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    https://imgur.com/a/wvzhRgOSo yesterday I bought an IHC m1 rifle at a local auction. I believe based off Scott Duff’s blue book that most parts are correct. Looking for input.

SN 4587213
    Dwg# D6526281-G
    Barrel LMR 5-53
    Bolt D6528287IHC U
    Gas Lock Screw IHC NHC
    Wind Knob IHC DRC
    Elevation Knob IHC with a hexagon I think
    Trigger Housing IHC D6528290
    Safety IHC
    Hammer IHC C554608
    Op rod D6535382IHC
    Gas Cylinder with football shaped lug base
    DAS on left I believe
    Julian Date OR3312

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Lol, it doesn't need to be a naked foot.... socked or wearing a shoe qualifies.:lol2: If you have claws, we don't judge.....

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I was able to get one from the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). It had a CMP stock with a ding, but I love my IHC. What is funny, is that the elevation is bottomed out, but is dead on at 50 yds. I look at it as a quick reference built in.

Q

firemanyz

MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    This is my second IHC. One is from CMP and this one I bought at an auction in Federalsburg yesterday. I’m going to send off a letter to CMP to see if they sold this rifle. It is very correct I think.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's four different IHC receiver types...one was supplied to IHC by Springfield Armory while their own production was gearing up. Values change with each type. The one in the photo is the "Postage Stamp" type...made by Springfield Armory for IHC.

It can be difficult to be sure but the receiver looks refinished.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Just curious how much you paid. I love my Win M1. I may end up getting one of each manufacturer one day...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    "LMR" is for "Line Machine Rifle"...Line Machine Company was a suppler of Garand barrel to IHC and rebuilds.

The finish and lack of sharp, well-defined markings looks like a rebuild...someone took a lot of time assembling correct IHC parts as an arsenal rebuild would be a mixmaster of parts...possibly a re-import that has been assembled with correct parts as well.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I sold my 'gap' letter SG IHC last year, good but not the best barrel. I still have a 'postage' stamp IHC with a great barrel. When I got one of the CMP Winchester rebulits, it had all front end IHC parts.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    My "Beat their plowshares into swords" gun is one I miss. Particularly as my favorite aunt worked for International Harvester & retired from Navistar. I got my IHC as a CMP luck of the draw 20 something years ago. I was in NROTC and we used M1's as drill rifles. My weekly routine was, with the Gunny's permission, to go in the armory and strip about half a dozen and conduct selective interchange until my gun was about 80% matching. If anyone runs across 5130857, let me know...

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    IHC rifles were hard to find for years. It appears that many went to countries in South America as part of military foreign aid packages. When they started coming back into the country in the '80s it was like a feast for collectors though they mostly had seen hard use and little care beyond indifferent refinishing and reassembly.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    IHC rifles were hard to find for years. It appears that many went to countries in South America as part of military foreign aid packages. When they started coming back into the country in the '80s it was like a feast for collectors though they mostly had seen hard use and little care beyond indifferent refinishing and reassembly.

Yes. I have a gorgeous CMP IHC rifle, but the only original parts are the receiver and the bolt. The barrel appears to be new old stock Springfield Armory. The stock is a new CMP walnut stock. May not be even close to correct, but a sweet rifle none the less.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Alabama built LMR (Line Material Corp) barrels have an excellent reputation for accuracy. I was lucky to get my IHC back in the DCM days for cheap. Love that rifle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom