are pocket knives ok to carry on ocean city?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i would feel more comfortable with one in my pocket but dont want to break the local laws. any idea?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Cannot be assisted opening.
    https://library.municode.com/md/oce...8OFMIPR_ARTIIIOFINPUSA_DIV2MAARWE_S58-123PRAC
    https://library.municode.com/md/oce...H58OFMIPR_ARTIIIOFINPUSA_DIV2MAARWE_S58-121DE

Sec. 58-121. - Definitions.

As used in this division, the following words or phrases have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
    Assisted opening knife. An assisted opening knife is a knife which uses an internal mechanism (spring, tension spring or other mechanical device) to fully open the blade once the user has depressed the flipper or thumb stud attached to the blade.
    Sec. 58-123. - Prohibited acts.

It shall be unlawful for any person to display, possess, sell, barter, offer to sell, distribute, manufacture, give away, transfer or dispose of an assisted opening knife, nunchaku, a fighting knife, a throwing star, a spiked wristband, a spiked fistband, a spiked glove, a flail mace, a butterfly knife, a spiked belt, a spike ring, metal knuckles, baton, fighting ax, fighting sword, pistol crossbow, or any part thereof, assembled or unassembled. As used herein, "person" includes individual, partnership, corporation or any other entity. The prohibitions relative to assisted opening knife and baton do not apply to officers of the Ocean City Police Department, The Maryland State Police, the Natural Resources Police, the Worcester County Sheriff's Department and any allied police department providing assistance in Ocean City. The prohibition relative to assisted opening knife does not apply to members of the Ocean City Fire Department and EMS, while on duty.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't think the rules in Ocean City are any different than they are anywhere else in Maryland, are they? I've carried my Espada pocket knife with a 7.5-inch blade all over Maryland and it's perfectly legal. Perhaps one day the bad guys in Annapolis will pass horrible anti-knife laws. If you don't keep your nose clean, you'll get in trouble no matter what you carry. I'm alive today because I carried a gun illegally in Washington, D.C., one night with a date years ago. Not sure I'd do it today, but a knife wouldn't have done me any good that time long ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , OC has a municipal law , that among other things , prohibits assisted opening .

cb51

I don't think the rules in Ocean City are any different than they are anywhere else in Maryland, are they? I've carried my Espada pocket knife with a 7.5-inch blade all over Maryland and it's perfectly legal. Perhaps one day the bad guys in Annapolis will pass horrible anti-knife laws. If you don't keep your nose clean, you'll get in trouble no matter what you carry. I'm alive today because I carried a gun illegally in Washington, D.C., one night with a date years ago. Not sure I'd do it today, but a knife wouldn't have done me any good that time long ago.

This plus a zillion or two.

It doesn't really matter what you carry, as long as you don't get in trouble or raise a ruckus. There's always the guy who just can't go with the flow and has to make a point. Don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

Most the years of my life was spent in Maryland, and I too carried a small gun hidden on me and a few times it was pulled wit the warning 'get the puck away from me'. Like the N.R.A. says; ,many times the crime is stopped just by the mere presence of the gun. Carry what you want, just be discrete in your behavior.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014

Yes, the rules are different. As pointed out in the post above, assisted opening knives, while legal in most of the state are illegal in OC (and Baltimore City, I believe)

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    A knife is for close-in contact/combat. I prefer to keep the perp(s) at a distance.

My #1 go to is THIS!!!
    My #2 is my knife.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      12.1 KB · Views: 807

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I've carried my Espada pocket knife with a 7.5-inch blade all over Maryland and it's perfectly legal.

I thought there was a blade length limit of 3” for folding knives here in MD. Did that change? I haven’t looked at the laws in a few years because I’ve been carrying the same knife, but I started looking recently and everything that I like has a longer blade.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I thought there was a blade length limit of 3” for folding knives here in MD. Did that change? I haven’t looked at the laws in a few years because I’ve been carrying the same knife, but I started looking recently and everything that I like has a longer blade.

(from a prior post)

The case that established the lack of length restriction was decided in 1978, called Mackall vs State. It outright states:

Penknives today are commonly considered to encompass any knife with the blade folding into the handle, some very large.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    (from a prior post)

The case that established the lack of length restriction was decided in 1978, called Mackall vs State. It outright states:

Penknives today are commonly considered to encompass any knife with the blade folding into the handle, some very large.

Thanks, I just went and read the other post. Looks like I’m buying a new knife.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As others have said, there's no limit on blade size for folders in MD that you can carry concealed. Some still carry a folder with 3-inch or smaller blades if they work in federal government buildings which are more restrictive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom