• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have a Movado and it has literally gone through hell for the last 5 years. It's holding up very well for an $800.00 watch ;) I think the crystal face on it is made from Krypton... not a scratch or chip anywhere on it

Pretty sure it's sapphire. I have a Movado sitting around somewhere.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Fine choice. You're certainly a WIS if you choose to drop Rolex and pick that up. :bowdown:

Thanks. Glashutte Original makes truly superb watches, and if you're looking high-end I certainly recommend them. My GO is a gem. Only another WIS would recognize it, so no one asks me if its real or not. ;)

But I love the Rolex GMT Master watches and will probably own another one some day. But I wouldn't buy a new one. I think they're incredibly over priced. The one I had wasn't that reliable. Not long after I got the GO I decided I missed my "Pepsi Can" Rolex so I started looking around. Ended up with Debaufre's version of it.

DebaufreGMT1.jpg

It's a Swiss-made watch with an ETA 2893-2 movement. I paid about $600 for it and I know it's $750 now. Still a fair price. This is an excellent watch and the quality is very nice. It would be unfair to say it's as good as a Rolex, but it ain't far off IMHO. A friend of mine does watchmaking/repair as a part time business and he opened it up. He regulated it for me to +2 seconds/day and said the internal quality was high. I've had it a little more than 3 years and have loved it.

So you don't need to spend thousands to get a nice mechanical watch. Hell, I have a Chinese-made clone, with Swiss movement, of a Panarai that keeps great time. Paid like $100 for it on eBay. Then I had a leather strap made for it from a WWII era German ammo pouch. I paid more for the strap!

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    So you don't need to spend thousands to get a nice mechanical watch. Hell, I have a Chinese-made clone, with Swiss movement, of a Panarai that keeps great time.

Check out Seiko Series 5 Automatics. Mine looks similar to the Rolex style (also to yours above) but has a fantastic automatic movement...I paid $70 for it on sale. I would gladly buy a replica Rolex IF it was well made...simply because I like the submariner style...but this Seiko was good enough for me :)

449056411_o.jpg

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Check out Seiko Series 5 Automatics. Mine looks similar to the Rolex style (also to yours above) but has a fantastic automatic movement...I paid $70 for it on sale. I would gladly buy a replica Rolex IF it was well made...simply because I like the submariner style...but this Seiko was good enough for me :)

Yes! Seiko 5's are nice watches and are a great bargain. I'm pretty sure they use 7s26 mechanical movements. I have one of Seiko's most iconic mechanical watches. Officially it's the Seiko SKX781, but it's known simply as the Orange Monster. This is under $200 and is cool as shit! There's also a black faced version. I'm going to get mine out and wear it this weekend!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348927267.928596.jpg

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Officially it's the Seiko SKX781, but it's known simply as the Orange Monster. This is under $200 and is cool as shit! There's also a black faced version. I'm going to get mine out and wear it this weekend!

Those are as iconic as GShocks IMHO. They just work, period. I'll check out the black face...never saw one before.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    boardboy,

Check out the so-called "Sumo". If you look at the specs, it's got it all at a reasonable price without going to Grand Seiko.

Will do :thumbsup: I like yours...but couldn't find it when I went to buy. The one pictured in my post is what I got. I like yours better lol

$650 though? LOL I think I would rather find another Marathon or the elusive Citizen Nighthawk in Titanium.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Will do :thumbsup: I like yours...but couldn't find it when I went to buy. The one pictured in my post is what I got. I like yours better lol

$650 though? LOL I think I would rather find another Marathon or the elusive Citizen Nighthawk in Titanium.

Mine was a Made in Japan - SKX007J-4.

http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=3300

The Sumo? You can get 'em cheaper states-side and even less pre-owned in mint/near mint condition. I feel like you're getting an Omega in the Sumo, seriously.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Mine was a Made in Japan - SKX007J-4.

The Sumo? You can get 'em cheaper states-side and even less pre-owned in mint/near mint condition. I feel like you're getting an Omega in the Sumo, seriously.

I'll check it out...but I hope it's not like an Omega LOL. An ex girlfriend bought me this: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-213-30-...no-Diver/dp/B001LYA4NM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2 and it was in the shop within the first 6 months of light use. I sold it for a Breitling. I will check out the Sumo though.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I'll check it out...but I hope it's not like an Omega LOL. An ex girlfriend bought me this: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-213-30-...no-Diver/dp/B001LYA4NM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2 and it was in the shop within the first 6 months of light use. I sold it for a Breitling. I will check out the Sumo though.

I'm surprised. I've rotated through two SMPs, Aqua Terra, and a DeVille - never a single issue. Might have been a lemon with yours. Don't think you'll have to worry about the Sumo pulling that... it's a Seiko after all.

Only thing about the Sumo is the size... too big for me.

:thumbsup:

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm surprised. I've rotated through two SMPs, Aqua Terra, and a DeVille - never a single issue. Might have been a lemon with yours. Don't think you'll have to worry about the Sumo pulling that... it's a Seiko after all.

Only thing about the Sumo is the size... too big for me.

Yeah, I'm 6'3" built like a brick shithouse...size won't be an issue :D As for the Omega...I was informed when I sold it, that more folks had issues with Omegas than not. I don't know...it was my first and last. That Sumo is sexy as Hell and I will be looking for one shortly. $300 isn't bad.

EDIT: I checked on Amazon just to get an idea of cost and it looks like the newer style band with the watch is $200. Rubber divers band is $250. The razor bracelet like on yours is an extra $50. Still...I think my Nighthawk is still around $400 and I like the looks of the Sumo better. $250 is easier to swallow if something bad happens.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Yeah, I'm 6'3" built like a brick shithouse...size won't be an issue :D As for the Omega...I was informed when I sold it, that more folks had issues with Omegas than not. I don't know...it was my first and last. That Sumo is sexy as Hell and I will be looking for one shortly. $300 isn't bad.

EDIT: I checked on Amazon just to get an idea of cost and it looks like the newer style band with the watch is $200. Rubber divers band is $250. The razor bracelet like on yours is an extra $50. Still...I think my Nighthawk is still around $400 and I like the looks of the Sumo better. $250 is easier to swallow if something bad happens.

Let me clarify.

This is not a Sumo. This is model SKX007J-4 - your classic Seiko 007 Diver ~ $300

http://www.chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=3300

This is the Sumo - model SBDC001 ~ $600 This is the BIG watch.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBDC001/SEIKO-Prospex-200M-Diver-6R15-Automatic-SBDC001.html

:thumbsup:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    But I love the Rolex GMT Master watches and will probably own another one some day. But I wouldn't buy a new one. I think they're incredibly over priced.

I looked up the prices on new Rolex watches. That is absurd. The Submariner had nearly doubled since I got mine about 13 years ago.

That being said, my watch has survived quite a bit over the years. Hunting, diving rock climbing, residency. Thing is indestructible.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I looked up the prices on new Rolex watches. That is absurd. The Submariner had nearly doubled since I got mine about 13 years ago.

That being said, my watch has survived quite a bit over the years. Hunting, diving rock climbing, residency. Thing is indestructible.

Rolex certainly makes a very nice watch. Mine, unfortunately, was a lemon. If it wasn't I'd probably still have it. But gotta admit, I've put my Debaufre's clone through hell and it's been a rock. I treat the Glashutte Original a little nicer.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011

Would you believe that the pricing scheme of Rolex is them wanting to make themselves more exclusive? They are still a private company. The theory is, on the watch forums, that Rolex felt their watches were too easily accessible. They want to make themselves tier one brand closer to Patek, AP, or Vacheron. A lot of dealers were dropped. Supply got lower, yet dealers needed to order large quantities and move it. Big guys like Torneau were told to separate Rolex displays from everyone elses. A few years ago their entire line went through an overhaul. Your new Sub-date has now the supercase with maxi dial, ceramic bezel and improved bracelet. The clasp is now milled and intricately designed instead of the old stamped metal design. These recent changes were a bit of a shock to the watch community because it showed Rolex reaction to the trend of large watches - something it hasn't done before. Their models were relatively untouched for almost 50 years.

Luckily, they left the 14060M untouched.

:)

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Was able to pull this pic off the web. Good comparison pic of the Sumo and classic 007.

IMG_5359_resize.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom