• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yes, but the point was, MODERN ammo is not a problem for corrosion.

And BTW, commercial ammo in the US switched to non-corrosive primers well before the US military did. There were concerns about the long term storage life of the early non-corrosive primers.

Also, all M1 Carbine US mil ammo is non-corrosive.

The reason for my post was that I think the friend was probably referring to corrosive primers and not "modern gunpowder". Nothing I said is in conflict with your post above. Commercial does lead the government, since they want those contracts and they want their products to be better and more competitive. The dates I provided are useful in that if you know your ammo was made after X, you know without doubt that it is non-corrosive. If not, you need to do research.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The reason for my post was that I think the friend was probably referring to corrosive primers and not "modern gunpowder". Nothing I said is in conflict with your post above. Commercial does lead the government, since they want those contracts and they want their products to be better and more competitive. The dates I provided are useful in that if you know your ammo was made after X, you know without doubt that it is non-corrosive. If not, you need to do research.

Reread what the friend said.

The friend said the MODERN ammo would cause corrosion.

What you said was accurate. The friend is/was clueless.

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    Black powder gives of a more interesting whooooosh when lit and the potassium concentration is a little bit high for most plants. Works in small amounts for tomatos and peppers but not a really great fertilizer.
    Conclusion: light the BP

Nitrocellulose and other comparable powders consist of organic nitrogen compounds - great for growing plants and they break down slowly. If you have smokeless powder that you desperately need to get rid of, it is a fine fertilizer for most flowers.
    Conclusion: my banana plant got a real growth spurt after disposing of some powder from a few misfired rounds. i also did a search on this and get this result https://disposeitwell.com/how-to-dispose-of-gunpowder/
    While cleaning up the basement yesterday, I came across 2 cans of fff black powder and about a 1\4 can of IMR4350....no idea how old. What's a proper way to dispose of these? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom