Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 9th, 2019, 05:41 PM #11
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

I'm also a Life Member, and I got a hysterical letter from Vienna about how they're on the verge of bankruptcy yet again. Sorry Wayne, my meager discretionary cash goes to MSI and SAF, in that order.

Hillbilly Grandpa makes a very valid point. NRA somehow managed to become a training and certification source; a somewhat effective lobbying source; a VERY picky 2A litigator; a purveyor of overpriced branded doodads and farkles; and a target of the Left. IMO, that's way too many directions at once; no wonder they're now tying their shoelaces together and wondering why they can't run a race. Because in part of the vanity at the top and turmoil on the BOD.

NRA has become a farce. It needs to figure out just what the Hell kind of an organization it is. And that's a shame.

I too foresee mutiny on the horizon soon. If the top won't willingly change, perhaps it needs to GET changed by the voting membership. Something needs doing soon; elections are coming.

Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA WWNC
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 05:58 PM #12
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
Our gun club requires members to also be a member of the NRA. I imitated a motion to change the bylaws to allow members to be part of any one of several 2A organizations, including MSI.

Iíll still support the NRA but they should feel the heat IMO. We are faced with serious 2A challenges and every freaking available dollar needs to go to the war effort. I Would love Wayne to show up to the next board meeting wearing cloths from TJ Maxx.
Reason why gun clubs have that requirement is because the NRA maintains the rules, provides training for range officers, and all the other oversight for shooting in general. None of those 2A organisations do any of that.
Peacemaker National Training Center

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 06:28 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
Reason why gun clubs have that requirement is because the NRA maintains the rules, provides training for range officers, and all the other oversight for shooting in general. None of those 2A organisations do any of that.

Those are good points and worthy of support. If the NRA didnít sponsor another shooting match or train another range safety officer others would fill that void. However if they cannot effectively create a unified battle front politically none of that training matters.

Right now I feel support for MSI is better bang for your buck in MD than the NRA and it seems to be money well spent.

That being said I am a Life member and Iíve made additional donations to PVF and ILA and Iíll continue to do so as I feel compelled to do so.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 07:15 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
My RSO and CRSO training were both the result of my direct registration for courses offered by NRA certified instructors. I paid for those courses. No club was involved. I belong to one NRA affiliated club and one non-affiliated cliub. Both organize and oversee their own range safety trainings without any natyional NRA involvement.

The state affiliate through their Friends of the NRA events/fundraisers provides a sugnificant amount of grant money to support club programs at the affiliated club.
hillbilly grandpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 09:26 PM #15

You know that old story about the guy playing poker? The one that's looking around the table wondering who the sucker is? I'm tired of being that guy.

I do not credit the apologist's plea that the NRA is still indispensible. There was a time it was useful, say between 1977 and the mid-1980s. That was an interregnum of maybe a decade when it was credible that the NRA could sway close elections. At least, at the time, I thought so.

That was the period before laptops, before 24 hour news, before social media, and before millions of people could be messaged for a tuppence. It was a time when politicians in some districts could be swayed with a letter grade. Not so much, anymore. Blue office-seekers would rather have loose voting filters than an "A" rating from an organization of leprous gun owners. Based on that, I think a robust argument could be made that the NRA has been losing legislative influence for three decades or more, slowly at first, and now suddenly.

But at one time the NRA was important, because our fight was political. It no longer is. Our fight moved to the courts with Heller. It won't be there forever. There will be a time when it shifts back to the legislature, but that won't be in my lifetime. Think of how long the civil rights struggle took. It began prior to the Civil War (1861-1864) and hasn't yet ended. Or the abortion issue, which started way back when and is still fought today. Regarding the Second Amendment, we can expect the occasional great victory, but the final relief will favor our grandchildren.

I'm a endowment member of the NRA, an organization which in my mind is no no longer politically useful. They know that, I think, because they're furiously milking the cow before she dies. The NRA has become, like so many other charities and foundations, a means of personal enrichment. I cannot countenance their constant demand for funds when the fight is no longer where their strength lies, and while the upper echelon lives like kings. That's too close to rich-living televangelists, too close to a betrayal of trust to suit me.

So the NRA left me. It just took me until the latest shenanigans to recognize it.
Fedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 09:31 PM #16

I'm torn between supporting and dumping the NRA. On one hand Wayne and his cronies should be thrown out but on the other it seems like any chance of that happening are slim to none now that Wayne has seemingly finished his Great Purge of the organization throwing out even long time effective members like Chris Cox. A weakened NRA can only lead to less gun rights. But does that allow room for standing up against cronyism Wayne using NRA funds for his own benefit?
jmike3543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 09:49 PM #17
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

While I think the NRA should be reformed in significant ways, there are no doubts parts of the organization that continue to do important work (e.g. beyond instructor programs on the training side, the NRA is involved in many state level fights for 2A rights). I think one area of concern at the national level is where monies are currently going, and whether some of the costly legal bills are selfinflicted damage because of either corrupt or negligent leadership by WLP et al (this is aside from the argument regarding the NRA compromising 2A rights at the national level).

Despite these issues, headlines like this piss me off ...

Rasmussen poll: 28 percent of Democrats say it should be illegal to belong to NRA
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...uld-be-illegal
Old September 9th, 2019, 09:54 PM #18

Wayne cannot dismiss the board. Time for members to inundate it with your displeasure. Those that don’t respond need to be voted out.
MD Designated Collector
MSI Executive Member (Former Board)
SAF - Life Member
NRA - Life Member (Benefactor)

U.S. Navy Veteran

PLEASE CONSIDER JOINING MSI

rambling_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:59 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
In today's mail I rec'd yet another letter from the NRA telling me that I owe them money toward my "Patron" status, and giving me 90 days to cough up another payment, which they will not be getting from me until and unless they clean up their act, and dump WLP. He may or may not have been an asset previously, but sticking around is costing them support, which I don't see they will easily get back.

Worse - much worse, they sent me a 60-page catalogue from NRAstore.com, filled with the kind of stuff neither I nor most of the membership is interested in. They need to attend to job one, or what good are they?
So I may understand, you signed up to upgrade from Endowment Life, to Patron Life (the quarterly payment deal I am guessing), and now, since you don't like what they are doing, you are suspending payments?
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 11:01 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
So I may understand, you signed up to upgrade from Endowment Life, to Patron Life (the quarterly payment deal I am guessing), and now, since you don't like what they are doing, you are suspending payments?
Yup.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: ďNo criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.Ē
Bob A is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues