Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:52 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
What they said .

Only addition is that the Pa FFL dosen't need to hold on for the 30 day wait . Just ship it to your Md FFL as soon as you pay for it . The Md FFL will be concerned with the timing .

But not really in the current on line age of 77R's . Trust us , MSP is not going to send you the Not Disapproved email before the proper time .
Also, no 7 day wait.

The 7 days starts after it is in the hands of the MD FFL and the 77r is submitted.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 02:55 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncorleone View Post
Hi, new to the forum so my mistake if this is in the wrong thread.

I recently purchased my first handgun earlier this month. I submitted my 77r on 8/12, bought the gun in 8/17 and picked it up on 8/24. My question is, when does the 30 day reset period end? Is it the day I first submitted the application or the day I actually bought the gun? Kind of a stupid question but I want to be sure before I submit another 77r.

Also I went to a shop in PA and talked to one of the salesperson there. I was looking at possibly the Sig P320 x5 Legion and he said to order it through them so I can get the 17 round mag instead of the Maryland regulated 10 round mags. He said I can pickup the mags now and take them home and then wait for the 7 day period then theyíll send the handgun to a FFL in Maryland. Plus I would not have to pay taxes on the purchase.

Is this all legal? I want to make sure before I do anything or is it better to just buy everything in MD?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!
1st day is counted on the day of transfer and through 30 days after that, so count 31 days from the day you picked up your last regulated firearm, and that is when the paperwork will go through as "not disapproved".

Just went through this myself after starting another 77r a week after taking a previous transfer...on day 31 i received the not-disapproved.

While doing so I decided to submit a designated collector application and that came back approved within a week. No more 30 day wait for this guy.. Super easy to fill out and only cost about $4 for a notary at a local FedEx.
SkiPatrolDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 07:12 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Actually, as of a few years ago, they stopped approving DC letters until after the first handgun purchase.

Not in the law, but how MSP started doing it.

But he has already purchased one, so that is not an issue.
A regulated firearm purchase is fine too. So if you bought an AR-15 receiver or similar thatís fine to get your DC letter rolling.

For reason just say you want your letter to further your collection of firearms. Other than someone who has never purchased a handgun or regulated receiver prior to applying, Iíve never heard of Maryland State Police denying it.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:53 PM #14

Submitted my application for the DC this Tuesday. Hopefully I get a response or email soon. If I get the DC status, am I still within the 30 day refresh period or can I go and get one immediately?

I can’t figure out whether to get another handgun or rifle lol. Im going to flip a coin and call it a day lol
Joncorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:14 PM #15

You can actually puchase 2 firearms at the same time without designated collector status, the dealer just has to enter the sale as "dealer discount" the catch is that you must wait 60 days to purchase the next firearm instead of 30 days.
boconnell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2019, 02:16 PM #16

As soon as you have the letter you can purchase again.
boconnell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 02:59 PM #17

Got my letter saying my application to be a Designated Collector has been approved. Took less than a week. Glad turnaround time is quick right now. Now I can have more sleepless nights debating on whether to get a CZ scorpion or a Ruger 556 and a cz75 combo lol.

I’m confused cause I called a shop in PA and they said it was available and ready to be brought home but other stores in MD said it was a pistol so it has to go through the same process as buying a handgun. Not sure which info I got was correct/incorrect. And I’m talking about the evo 3 s1 with the faux suppressor.
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:15 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncorleone View Post
Got my letter saying my application to be a Designated Collector has been approved. Took less than a week. Glad turnaround time is quick right now. Now I can have more sleepless nights debating on whether to get a CZ scorpion or a Ruger 556 and a cz75 combo lol.

I’m confused cause I called a shop in PA and they said it was available and ready to be brought home but other stores in MD said it was a pistol so it has to go through the same process as buying a handgun. Not sure which info I got was correct/incorrect. And I’m talking about the evo 3 s1 with the faux suppressor.
It really depends on which version of the scorpion that you buy. The carbine version is cash and carry from a PA FLL and the pistol version needs to be shipped to a MD FFL and transferred as a handgun.
gmharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:12 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmharle View Post
It really depends on which version of the scorpion that you buy. The carbine version is cash and carry from a PA FLL and the pistol version needs to be shipped to a MD FFL and transferred as a handgun.

Iím not sure of the version when I called the PA store. The store I visited this weekend I believe is the carbine version as it had an adjustable stock and one was with the faux suppressor and the other had a muzzle break/flash suppressor. Iím guessing after researching the different versions is the pistol doesnít not have the adjustable or folding stock and/or brace?
Old September 18th, 2019, 08:35 PM #20

Picked up the CZ 75B after trying it out this past weekend. Tried the X5 Legion as well and both were amazing in terms of accuracy and feel. The cz75b was just better economically tbh and I can use the savings to buy ammo and practice.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues