• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This brings up a question, if you let your license expire, you can destroy your bound book. If you get a new license at some point, do you have to enter the firearms you already had or just the ones you purchase after your second license comes in?

My understanding is that you're starting from scratch.

Once the old bound book goes away, along with the expired license, if and when you get a new license, you enter the C&R guns you bought since the new license went into effect. Any C&R firearm you own that you sell while the new license is in effect must be logged. There's no requirement for a backward look; C&R guns owned prior to the licensing are not logged unless disposed of.

Non-C&R guns are not logged at all.

I understand that you can give up your license at any time you wish. Once that is done, you are no longer required to retain records.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My understanding is that you're starting from scratch.

Once the old bound book goes away, along with the expired license, if and when you get a new license, you enter the C&R guns you bought since the new license went into effect. Any C&R firearm you own that you sell while the new license is in effect must be logged. There's no requirement for a backward look; C&R guns owned prior to the licensing are not logged unless disposed of.

Non-C&R guns are not logged at all.

I understand that you can give up your license at any time you wish. Once that is done, you are no longer required to retain records.

Pretty sure, but not positive you’d need to notify ATF that you are voluntarily relinquishing your license though.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Pretty sure, but not positive you’d need to notify ATF that you are voluntarily relinquishing your license though.

Yeah, if you want to de-license before expiration. Send the original back with a letter, I presume.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Just received the renewal letter. There is a section to fill out if you are not renewing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just received the renewal letter. There is a section to fill out if you are not renewing.

I just didn't send it the form, let it expire.

Five months later, sent in a brand-new application. Filled in the old license info where the form requested it; got my new license with new numbers.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The not renewing is a courtesy to them and not a requirement. They probably use it for statistics.

I’d assume so.

Earlier I meant if you wanted to terminate your FFL early for some reason you need to let them know you are relinquishing it. You could just let it expire. Though if it’s because you really are feeling paranoid and want to legally trash your bound book, you can’t have an active FFL-03. Which means telling the ATF you are relinquishing it (no idea how. I presume a letter and a copy of your FFL back, but I’d call to ask).

You can certainly just wait to let it expire instead, but you’ve gotta wait to destroy your bound book until then.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Since not renewing allows you to "lose" your bound book, I'd say, in this day and age, there are certain "advantages" to not renewing, waiting a few months perhaps, and then applying anew. There is something to be said for having some firearms that are "off the books". The chances of your white whale appearing during the time period you are without your 03 seem pretty slim. But, I've been wrong before....

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I renewed for the third time recently. Glad I did as I purchased a nice WW2 piece. I also enjoy having a handgun delivered to my door without paying for, and fingerprinting, to acquire the HQL. Just my personal position.

Type: 27
    Maker: CZ
    Caliber: 7.65mm
    Condition: 97-98%
    Bore: 9/10
    Year: ~1943
    $450.00

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Just renewed this July. I don't buy as much C&R now but it will still save me boatloads on transfer fees.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia

Lol, quoting myself from Aug 19. I haven't received the renewal with my new address, Sept 11. Hopefully any day now because I'm looking to sell most of my C&R and newer. Will post on MDS .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol, quoting myself from Aug 19. I haven't received the renewal with my new address, Sept 11. Hopefully any day now because I'm looking to sell most of my C&R and newer. Will post on MDS .

You don’t need a license to sell your collection.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I realize that but prefer to have it current and in hand for face to face for out of state. VA resident. Thank you.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I will probably not be renewing next time. As others have noted, the really good C&R deals seem to be gone - probably due to sanctions - and I've used it maybe once in the past three years.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I also am facing the dilemma. I don't mind paying extra for great pieces, but do mind terribly going through Maryland's hoops, unless the item I want is in Maryland.

I'm intrigued that Savage made a handgun and have settled for watching for 1917's in 380. Funds / justification to SWMBO really stretch out the time scale :(

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I will probably not be renewing next time. As others have noted, the really good C&R deals seem to be gone - probably due to sanctions - and I've used it maybe once in the past three years.

I think it is mostly that we’ve imported a lot of what is out there. There is of course still plenty, but a few countries don’t want to sell it to us. EU makes it damned hard. A couple of countries are not letting go of decades old stockpiles in case they need to arm 3rd tier. A lot of it ended up getting sold in to war zones.

Plus the market can beat the higher prices.

For $30 and a few minutes to mail a form I just don’t see a compelling reason not to. As I’ve said before, over 3 years I’ll save at least that much in discounts from Brownell’s and the few other places that give all FFLs a discount. One single gun bought with a C&R can save more than the license fee in avoided transfer fees. Plus a whole ton of hassle.

If I were to never use it again maybe, but I can see myself buying a least a couple of C&R guns out of state or handguns shipped in every decade even if they aren’t a bargain anymore. Now I might let it lapse for a few months and then renew. But it might just be worthwhile keeping it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom