Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 21st, 2019, 02:33 PM #41

Even the wall street journal got it wrong. According to them Colt is stopping production on civilian style AR 15. Can't anybody get it right? All you have to do is read the statement Colt put out. Evidently all these collage educated individuals can not comprehend a very simple release by a manufacture.
. On the other hand it did my heart good driving by these marinas in Marathon and the boats flying "Trump 2020" flags. Maybe all is not lost
DivingDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 03:29 PM #42

How much could a Colt AR-15 stripped lower, in general, bring on the market today? If at all available, what's a reasonable price in your mind?

― Wayne W. Dyer
OnTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 06:28 PM #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
BTW, Colt does not make all the parts for its rifles.

I meet a guy a few years ago at a track day. He had a manufacturing company that made parts for phones. At one point. He had almost completed switched over to being a subcontractor for Colt making AR-15/M4 parts.

BTW, he was tracking a Ferrari F430 Scudaria (list price $281,000, but none sold that low). And his wife was tracking his old car, an F430 Competitione.
That Colt doesn't make all its own parts is no secret...few companies do. Colt gets the raw forgings for the receivers from a vendor that specializes in such operations. Colt makes sure all parts at minimum meet all contract and military specs then does finish machining, assembly and testing. Colt does make its own barrels. Other parts come from other vendors. Most other gunmakers use outside vendors as well.
Old September 21st, 2019, 06:30 PM #44
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
My curiosity of with whom their contracts are with reminds me of a comment I recently read, FOX or FB ? Comment: "The AR15 is not used by any army in the world." This had many likes and was in regards to a "no weapons of war" post. So I ask, is it true that no armys use the AR15? Name one for 100 internet point.
Aren’t the MK12 mod 0/1 rifles semi-auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
Maybe this is because the gauges are made to meet the specs that Colt established in the very beginning of their production?
I somehow don’t see a problem with this. They were the standard for how ARs should gauge. Can you please explain.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 06:46 AM #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
You are correct.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 10:30 AM #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared24 View Post
I'll never get the combative mentality toward Colt.
It's about decades of a company not valuing its customers to the point of openly disrespecting them.
Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:06 AM #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post

I somehow don’t see a problem with this. They were the standard for how their ARs should gauge. Can you please explain.
FIFY!

Different manufacturers can have different tolerances than what Colt uses and still have a perfectly safe and functional product. For an example, look at the AR10 style platform. Lots of different specs between manufacturers and lack of parts interchangability in that platform.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:21 AM #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegared24 View Post
His point (to Chad's point) is that Colt is consistent in QC. Very few companies are consistent with complete rifles and/or parts. But that wasn't your point. Using your logic, no other manufacturer would ever gauge "properly". They'd have different base standards and most likely advertise it.

Even good companies like SOLGW have stated that Colt puts out a good product. They are the standard that others are measured by.

I'll never get the combative mentality toward Colt. They put out a good product in a mediocre market.
Not what I said but, take it how you please. Using reverse logic, the only company that puts out a good product would be Colt. That simply isn't true. If it were, Colt would absolutely dominate the National Matches, they don't. Good luck finding one there, especially in the hands of the top competitors! As others have since stated, Colt doesn't even make their own , they subcontract it out. Now, they have decided to leave our civilians behind so they can fill contracts for FOREIGN countries. Colt has a history of abandoning civilians. They were not our friends in '94 and they are not now. They are most definitely not the company they once were.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:52 AM #49
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
It's about decades of a company not valuing its customers to the point of openly disrespecting them.
HK does the same thing. Just like a bitchy woman, you get used to it and learn to live with it.

If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 12:00 PM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
Not what I said but, take it how you please. Using reverse logic, the only company that puts out a good product would be Colt. That simply isn't true. If it were, Colt would absolutely dominate the National Matches, they don't. Good luck finding one there, especially in the hands of the top competitors! As others have since stated, Colt doesn't even make their own , they subcontract it out. Now, they have decided to leave our civilians behind so they can fill contracts for FOREIGN countries. Colt has a history of abandoning civilians. They were not our friends in '94 and they are not now. They are most definitely not the company they once were.
I don't follow the National Matches but it's very common for match competitors to be sponsored by a manufacturer with highly tuned firearms...not all parts from that maker either. Apparently Colt doesn't play the game much...or they can't afford to as their precarious financial position demands.

Colt doesn't outsource their manufacturing of their core products either. They do use outside vendors who specialize in forging operations to supply the raw forgings for their products...(a little secret...most gunmakers do the same). There's little reason for a gunmaker to have a complete foundry operation and all the payroll and other costs incurred when they can hire a vendor who specializes is those processes. I know Ruger has its own foundry but they also have diversified into making castings for other products in other industries to help support it.

Colt (and others) do QC inspections to verify the forgings meet all specs and do the machining and finishing into the final product. None of that is a secret. The M16 and M4 contractors all are aware of the entire process and where all parts come from and the entire inspection process.

The Colt Competition line of AR-based rifles several years ago was licensed to Colt Competition...a different manufacturer. After the bottom fell out of the market after the 2016 election that company went under.

I've been to the S&W factory and about the only part of their polymer pistol lines they make themselves is the barrel...everything else comes from outside vendors. It's simply the way of manufacturing today.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles