• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    I live on a one-acre lot in a sub-division within the Agricultural Reserve section of Montgomery County, MD. I want to practice traditional archery in my backyard. Naturally, I will deploy a heavy-duty backstop and use a carefully planned target orientation. I am 99.999% confident that no arrow will ever leave my property.

However, my yard is visible from the main neighborhood entrance, and I am certain that numerous nosy neighbors will spot me shooting in no time.

I am not a lawyer, and I am not asking for legal advice, but I wanted to solicit comments and discussion from fellow members.

As I see things, I do not need to worry about the 50-yard distance from my neighbors' homes, attaining written approval from my neighbors, or an elevated position requirement, per DNR regulations, as I am not hunting. Thoughts? Do broadheads change the calculus?

Continuing, I believe I am within the narrow confines of the Montgomery County weapons law summary (see page 2, paragraph 2) as my arrows will not leave my property, cross roads, or hit any vehicles, animals, etc. Thoughts?

Does anyone have experience practicing archery at home in MoCo? I ask because of hearsay that individuals in more populated parts of the county have been dinged for weapons offenses; I do not know the specific circumstances accompanying said hearsay events (perhaps someone put an arrow through a neighbor's window n Rockville?). Any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I will likely reach out to MoCo police (with low expectations for usefulness) in the future, but I wanted to hear from my peers first.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Perhaps you should look into the BCC IWLA which should be near you and has a field archery range. I'm not sure if they allow crossbows but you could inquire.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I live on a one-acre lot in a sub-division within the Agricultural Reserve section of Montgomery County, MD. I want to practice traditional archery in my backyard. Naturally, I will deploy a heavy-duty backstop and use a carefully planned target orientation. I am 99.999% confident that no arrow will ever leave my property.

However, my yard is visible from the main neighborhood entrance, and I am certain that numerous nosy neighbors will spot me shooting in no time.

I am not a lawyer, and I am not asking for legal advice, but I wanted to solicit comments and discussion from fellow members.

As I see things, I do not need to worry about the 50-yard distance from my neighbors' homes, attaining written approval from my neighbors, or an elevated position requirement, per DNR regulations, as I am not hunting. Thoughts? Do broadheads change the calculus?

Continuing, I believe I am within the narrow confines of the Montgomery County weapons law summary (see page 2, paragraph 2) as my arrows will not leave my property, cross roads, or hit any vehicles, animals, etc. Thoughts?

Does anyone have experience practicing archery at home in MoCo? I ask because of hearsay that individuals in more populated parts of the county have been dinged for weapons offenses; I do not know the specific circumstances accompanying said hearsay events (perhaps someone put an arrow through a neighbor's window n Rockville?). Any comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I will likely reach out to MoCo police (with low expectations for usefulness) in the future, but I wanted to hear from my peers first.

It says right in the code you posted that it’s legal. Be careful, have fun, and don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mo Co , where when neighbors bitch about perfectly legal activities , they will then outlaw the previous legal activities .

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'm sure that someone will panic, once they realize you are shooting arrows. :rolleyes:

Be prepared with the MoCo statute to show the officers when they arrive.

I could see how they could twist it into a menacing, or brandishing accusation, or public endangerment issue via the neighbor's conveyed complaints. Because it's MoCo.

Also curious, are you governed by an HOA? They may become problematic as well once you start flinging arrows.

Best of luck. Seriously. I occasionally practice archery in my backyard but luckily most of my yard is shield from prying eyes. Fenced in and behind the house. Woods on one side. Woods are a great neighbor. The best.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I grew up in the AG reserve; granted it was on 7 acres, and is and the “neighbors” all shot in our backyards. If you’re near Poolesville you should be good to go for archery (we even had archery in phys-ed at Poolesville high), depending on how many of the neighbors are new to the area and bringing liberal ideas along with them.

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    I could see how they could twist it into a menacing, or brandishing accusation, or public endangerment issue via the neighbor's conveyed complaints. Because it's MoCo.

Also curious, are you governed by an HOA? They may become problematic as well once you start flinging arrows.

Good point on LEO potentially "twist"ing harmless practice into "public endangerment," etc. I shall think on this more. Still, it seems like a big leap.

No HOA. At least I got that going for me. :party29:

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Perhaps you should look into the BCC IWLA which should be near you and has a field archery range. I'm not sure if they allow crossbows but you could inquire.

You have to be a member, but BCC IWLA has target bags, broadhead targets, and allows crossbows.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I gotta say that I am still extremely annoyed that you can't shoot airsoft in your backyard here. I really wanted to set up some USPSA targets in the backyard and practice some practical shooting... no-go. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom