• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ TAIJI

Sep 10, 2014
    brooklyn, md.
    Md. legislators are Idiots of a high order

Today, United States District Court Judge James K. Bredar denied Maryland Shall Issue's motion for temporary relief against the State’s ban on possession of “Rapid Fire Trigger Activators” by SB 707, signed into law by the Governor on April 24, 2018. This means the law will go into effect as passed on October 1st, 2018. That's just two weeks from now. HOWEVER, while the case is pending, the judge made it clear that he believes all that’s needed to comply with the law is for the existing owner to send a letter applying for authorization to possess the "devices" covered by SB 707 to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) by 10/01/2018. That is the "grandfather" clause contained in SB 707 and that was the clause that the judge seized upon in holding that MSI had failed to show the "irreparable injury" necessary for preliminary relief. As he said at the hearing, all you have to do is "apply" to the ATF by October 1 for "authorization to possess" the "device" in order to avoid prosecution for a year. And to the judge, it simply did not matter that the ATF has refused to receive or process any such request for "authorization" because the statute merely required the owner to "apply," not for the ATF to actually accept the application.

But, here is the rub: The law is so vague that no one knows what it covers. Every gun owner in the state may possess "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator(s), and not even know it. Such "device" includes binary trigger systems, bump stocks, burst trigger systems, a Hellfire Trigger, a trigger crank, or a burst trigger system and copies thereof. But the banned items ALSO includes any "device, including a removable manual or power-driven activating device, constructed so that, when installed in or attached to a firearm: (I) the rate at which the trigger is activated increases; or (II) the rate of fire increases.” Yet, virtually anything you do to your firearm may "increase" the "rate of fire" by some minute amount, including cleaning it. There is no definition for a "device" and the statute includes ALL firearms, not merely semi-automatics. At the hearing, Judge Bredar remarked on the extreme vagueness of the State’s law as he demonstrated how GUN OIL being used to lubricate A BOLT-ACTION RIFLE to "increase" the "rate of fire" of the rifle because the action could be worked more efficiently, meaning the trigger could be manually activated faster than it could before using the GUN OIL. The judge thus warned the State that he had real problems with how vague the statute was. In short, we don't know what is covered by this language covering a "device" that increases the "rate of fire" and neither does the State, the judge or anyone else. The potential for arbitrary enforcement is quite real.

And that is a BIG problem. A conviction for the mere possession of a SB 707 "device" (whatever it means) will result in the loss of your Second Amendment rights for life. It doesn't have to be a bump stock or the other listed devices to be covered. And even you aren't convicted, you could still be arrested and jailed for such possession by an overzealous law enforcement officer. It doesn't matter when or where you bought it or whether it is installed or whether it has ever been used. It doesn't have to be a device for a semi-automatic firearm. Mere possession in Maryland is enough. Under the judge's ruling today, the only way any gun owner in this State can protect themselves from potential arbitrary arrest and/or prosecution under this law (SB 707) is to send in the attached letter to the ATF.

All you have to do is print off this form, fill in the blanks and send it in to the ATF at the address indicated. To be safe, the ideal way to send it is via US Mail, return receipt requested. But by all means, send it any way you can (and keep a copy). Regardless how you send it, it must be sent before OCTOBER 1, 2018. Sending this letter does NOT mean that you are identifying yourself as owning a bump stock or any specific device. It just means that you (like we) don't know what is covered by the SB 707 ban on a "device" that "increases" the "rate of fire." The letter merely repeats the language set out in grandfather clause of SB 707. And note, even if you apply for "authorization" with the ATF, the prohibition imposed on possession by SB 707 kicks back in on October 1, 2019, if "authorization" is not actually received by that time. We already know that the ATF will not actually entertain such "applications" because it has publicly announced that it would not consider them. But that does not and will not matter until October 1, 2019. In the meantime, all you have to do is "apply" under the judge's ruling.

The case is not over by any means. All the judge did was deny preliminary relief. He did not address the merits in his ruling (other than to warn the State that they had a problem on how vague the statute was). We are encouraged by some the judge's remarks made at the hearing. Maryland Shall Issue will continue the fight but in the meantime, it is absolutely essential that you send this letter to the ATF as soon as possible. Legally, it is the only way you can protect yourself from this vague statute under the judge's ruling today. Hopefully, the case will be over by October 1, 2019 (at least in district court), so we will know more before then.

-----

This link goes right to the entire writeup and can be passed easily along to others. Please do so.

tinyurl.com/sb707

The address the application needs to be sent to is:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    99 New York Avenue NE
    Washington, DC 20226

This is as given from the ATF.

If you choose to email the completed application, the address is: FIPB@atf.gov

-----
    Media Coverage
    Ammoland: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/09/maryland-gun-owners-out-to-dry-gun-oil-ban/#axzz5RMP3ZFnR

The Truth About Guns: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...goes-into-effect-oct-1-heres-what-you-can-do/

The Daily Record (Requires Subscription): https://thedailyrecord.com/2018/09/14/maryland-bump-stock-ban-federal-court-challenge/

I HATE HOW THIS STATE AND THEIR BS TERRORCRATS OPERATE THEY SHOULD BE EXPELLED FROM u.s. soil imho

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I'll start to care when teams of suicidal oath breaking jack boot thugs start invading people homes and inspecting our property. My message to all gun grabbers will remain the same: :tongue01:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Ok gents--the wife and I printed off and signed our letters. If I e-mail them--is there some kind of legal difference if I only take a photo of the signed documents and send as attachments or do I need to scan the document and send as an attachment?

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    I have a question, and maybe I'm just not informed enough. But, if NOBODY really knows what this law means, then how can anyone enforce it? Just looking for a little clarity. Thanks for any info!

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Sent mine certified mail on Monday 9/17 and it was to be delivered by Wednesday 9/19. As of this morning, the USPS tracking system says

"Your item arrived at the WASHINGTON, DC 20226 post office at 11:05 am on September 21, 2018 and is ready for pickup."

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I will, in compliance with the law, have my triggers fingers removed and sent out of state. Since by the letter of the law, Frosh and his crew could construe them as being a "devise" that could increase the rate of fire.......Chris

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have a question, and maybe I'm just not informed enough. But, if NOBODY really knows what this law means, then how can anyone enforce it? Just looking for a little clarity. Thanks for any info!

Over zealously, that's how.

Would not be the first time a citizen met the triple witching bad luck of an off the wall LEO, hellbent prosecutor and insane judge.

Do what you can to reduce risk. Its like driving on the right side of the road, wearing your seat belt and both eyes open. Risk reduction = improved safety.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Sent mine certified mail on Monday 9/17 and it was to be delivered by Wednesday 9/19. As of this morning, the USPS tracking system says

"Your item arrived at the WASHINGTON, DC 20226 post office at 11:05 am on September 21, 2018 and is ready for pickup."

Mine sent same day...still waiting for it to be delivered. :sad20:

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Ok gents--the wife and I printed off and signed our letters. If I e-mail them--is there some kind of legal difference if I only take a photo of the signed documents and send as attachments or do I need to scan the document and send as an attachment?

I emailed mine and scanned and sent the letter as an attachment. As a bonus, the ATF responded back to my email so I have a record of mine being sent, stating specifically what the attachment was for, and a record of their reply.

From what I am hearing about the CF's with zip codes, I would definitely email.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Makes you wonder if the PO even looks at the actual street address any longer

Last time I drove by,there is a large bldg at 99 NY Ave NE that says BATFE on the sign

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Mailed mine on the 15th. Initial receipt said expected delivery was 9/17/18.

IAW USPS, Update today (23 SEP) at 1700
    September 22, 2018
    In Transit to Next Facility
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I think what may be happening is that some agencies have all mail/packages that are addressed to a publicized address, redirected to a facility that X-rays, check for things that could be used on the 4th of July as well as biohazards. Just a guess as I am mailing mine tomorrow. I think I will email as well.

Last edited:

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I think what may be is happening is that some agencies have all mail/packages that are addressed to a publicized address, redirected to a facility that X-rays, check for things that could be used on the 4th of July as well as biohazards. Just a guess as I am mailing mine tomorrow. I think I will email as well.

That is exactly what is happening. All mail to any federal office goes through a heat treatment and x-ray process. When y'all get your return receipt postcard back, if it was attached to the original letter, it will probably be yellowed. I went the email route. Plenty of proof in that chain of exchanges IMHO.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Today, United States District Court Judge James K. Bredar denied Maryland Shall Issue's motion for temporary relief against the State’s ban on possession of “Rapid Fire Trigger Activators” by SB 707, signed into law by the Governor on April 24, 2018. This means the law will go into effect as passed on October 1st, 2018. That's just two weeks from now. HOWEVER, while the case is pending, the judge made it clear that he believes all that’s needed to comply with the law is for the existing owner to send a letter applying for authorization to possess the "devices" covered by SB 707 to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) by 10/01/2018. That is the "grandfather" clause contained in SB 707 and that was the clause that the judge seized upon in holding that MSI had failed to show the "irreparable injury" necessary for preliminary relief. As he said at the hearing, all you have to do is "apply" to the ATF by October 1 for "authorization to possess" the "device" in order to avoid prosecution for a year. And to the judge, it simply did not matter that the ATF has refused to receive or process any such request for "authorization" because the statute merely required the owner to "apply," not for the ATF to actually accept the application.

But, here is the rub: The law is so vague that no one knows what it covers. Every gun owner in the state may possess "Rapid Fire Trigger Activator(s), and not even know it. Such "device" includes binary trigger systems, bump stocks, burst trigger systems, a Hellfire Trigger, a trigger crank, or a burst trigger system and copies thereof. But the banned items ALSO includes any "device, including a removable manual or power-driven activating device, constructed so that, when installed in or attached to a firearm: (I) the rate at which the trigger is activated increases; or (II) the rate of fire increases.” Yet, virtually anything you do to your firearm may "increase" the "rate of fire" by some minute amount, including cleaning it. There is no definition for a "device" and the statute includes ALL firearms, not merely semi-automatics. At the hearing, Judge Bredar remarked on the extreme vagueness of the State’s law as he demonstrated how GUN OIL being used to lubricate A BOLT-ACTION RIFLE to "increase" the "rate of fire" of the rifle because the action could be worked more efficiently, meaning the trigger could be manually activated faster than it could before using the GUN OIL. The judge thus warned the State that he had real problems with how vague the statute was. In short, we don't know what is covered by this language covering a "device" that increases the "rate of fire" and neither does the State, the judge or anyone else. The potential for arbitrary enforcement is quite real.

And that is a BIG problem. A conviction for the mere possession of a SB 707 "device" (whatever it means) will result in the loss of your Second Amendment rights for life. It doesn't have to be a bump stock or the other listed devices to be covered. And even you aren't convicted, you could still be arrested and jailed for such possession by an overzealous law enforcement officer. It doesn't matter when or where you bought it or whether it is installed or whether it has ever been used. It doesn't have to be a device for a semi-automatic firearm. Mere possession in Maryland is enough. Under the judge's ruling today, the only way any gun owner in this State can protect themselves from potential arbitrary arrest and/or prosecution under this law (SB 707) is to send in the attached letter to the ATF.

All you have to do is print off this form, fill in the blanks and send it in to the ATF at the address indicated. To be safe, the ideal way to send it is via US Mail, return receipt requested. But by all means, send it any way you can (and keep a copy). Regardless how you send it, it must be sent before OCTOBER 1, 2018. Sending this letter does NOT mean that you are identifying yourself as owning a bump stock or any specific device. It just means that you (like we) don't know what is covered by the SB 707 ban on a "device" that "increases" the "rate of fire." The letter merely repeats the language set out in grandfather clause of SB 707. And note, even if you apply for "authorization" with the ATF, the prohibition imposed on possession by SB 707 kicks back in on October 1, 2019, if "authorization" is not actually received by that time. We already know that the ATF will not actually entertain such "applications" because it has publicly announced that it would not consider them. But that does not and will not matter until October 1, 2019. In the meantime, all you have to do is "apply" under the judge's ruling.

The case is not over by any means. All the judge did was deny preliminary relief. He did not address the merits in his ruling (other than to warn the State that they had a problem on how vague the statute was). We are encouraged by some the judge's remarks made at the hearing. Maryland Shall Issue will continue the fight but in the meantime, it is absolutely essential that you send this letter to the ATF as soon as possible. Legally, it is the only way you can protect yourself from this vague statute under the judge's ruling today. Hopefully, the case will be over by October 1, 2019 (at least in district court), so we will know more before then.

-----

This link goes right to the entire writeup and can be passed easily along to others. Please do so.

tinyurl.com/sb707

The address the application needs to be sent to is:

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    99 New York Avenue NE
    Washington, DC 20226

This is as given from the ATF.

If you choose to email the completed application, the address is: FIPB@atf.gov

-----
    Media Coverage
    Ammoland: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/09/maryland-gun-owners-out-to-dry-gun-oil-ban/#axzz5RMP3ZFnR

The Truth About Guns: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...goes-into-effect-oct-1-heres-what-you-can-do/

The Daily Record (Requires Subscription): https://thedailyrecord.com/2018/09/14/maryland-bump-stock-ban-federal-court-challenge/

Be sure to spread this around as we head into the last week for compliance with the application requirement in SB707.

MSI’s letter covers the bases for you and your fellow people of the gun.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I’m sick of Maryland’s bs, but I spent $6.70 to send the damn letter out certified. That being said, I’ll say my piece.
    I know I expressed concern on this forum before about how “staying and fighting” was a waste of time, money, and resources because we’re just going to continue to lose more and gain nothing. Several here more or less scoffed at me. Well, here we are a year, two years later. It’s constant chipping away...the day will come when some will be tired of the bs and want to utilize the 2A as originally intended, but by then they won’t have the money or the tools to do so.
    But hey, let’s continue to bow down to communist MD and continue to deplete everything we have...it’s been working great so far.
    It pisses me off that bs laws are passed and then we are left trying to right their wrong. If the law is questionable, the sob should be shelved until it’s sorted out, not implemented and then fought to undo them.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For what it's worth, my forced-error ZIP-malcorrected priority mail sent a week ago popped up as "delivered" this morning. So, not even close to within the timeframe a priority package is supposed to get, but it got there. I forgot that ALL such mail sent to federal agencies takes a special trip through the giant USPS microwave and canine examination facility, so that's got to add at least a couple of days even under normal circumstances. So, now I can return my attention to OTHER pointless Dem distractions... so many to choose from!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom