• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Very well could be me. 65 year old eyes.
    Winchester 94 20" barrel. I assume buckhorn sights. Remington express core lockt 150gr. On sand bags for front of rifle. Shouldering the butt.
    Okay lined up a 10" circular target. Attempted to put top of front sight in the V notch of the rear sight and the bottom of round target in the V.
    If you can understand that. Had the rear sight all the way to the back of the ladder. I don't know of a way to make it shoot higher. Elevation was dead on. Any suggestions. I obviously am new to Lever guns.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Have the same issue. I've read its is a problem with quite a few of them. I ordered another adjustable rear sight and filed it down so I didn't have to ruin an original.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If your at the lowest step on the ladder move rear up one step.

I had problems years ago with the sights on a 94. Went with a Williams adjustable peep and made a world of difference.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Not sure I understand "The back of the ladder".
    As in, you are presently on the lowest setting, at the very bottom of the ramp steps? If so, move your rear sight up the ramp steps one at a time, to raise your point of impact.

Also sounds like you're describing a 6 o'clock hold? Looks like a lollipop on a stick? Can try shooting point of aim, which makes for a different sight picture, but will place bullet higher.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Yes 6 oclock hold. Lollipop on a stick..
    I will move ladder up one notch shoot to middle of target.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I have a post-64, 20" Winchester 94 and use 150gr 30-30 core locks. I hold dead center of the target and have pretty good accuracy too. Might need to just adjust your rear sight and point of aim a little.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hunting guns would tend to shoot to point of aim.

Target guns for the lollipop hold.

Deer don'g have a round target on them. :D

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Use a "Center Hold" aka/ "Navy Hold".
    In other words, put the top of the front sight in the center of the target.
    Doing that should immediately move the point of impact UP, 4" or so.

Then, IF needed, go up with the rear sight on level (or 'step') on the ramp.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Bead sight is round, which suggests it gets centered on point of aim as other posters noted.

My first high power match I asked an accomplished shooter “Do you set the sights so the top of the front post is centered in the rear sight or adjusted to 6:00 at each known distance?”. His response, “That’s the eighth wonder of the world”. I use the former.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bead sight is round, which suggests it gets centered on point of aim as other posters noted.

My first high power match I asked an accomplished shooter “Do you set the sights so the top of the front post is centered in the rear sight or adjusted to 6:00 at each known distance?”. His response, “That’s the eighth wonder of the world”. I use the former.

UUH, you need to do both.

Adjust the rear sight for the hold you want, but then, to aim, you center the front sight in the rear sight, with the proper relationship to the target.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Uhh, that’s what I do: “...I use the former.

My query was because I was new at it. I knew how to adjust the sights. Knowing the eye will naturally center the round bull in the rear peep sight I thought maybe some used that sighting method at each distance. I had to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom