Is This Brownells Retro Rifle Banned in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Figures :o

I ordered it friday and they did not have a blem model on sale. Of course this evening my transferring FFL sent me an email questioning the legality because of it not being a heavy barrel. I sent them the MSP rulings list where it clearly says the Proto model is good to go and the Engage Armament thread where MSP also said in writing because of the cosmetic differences (AKA the charging handle location) it is not considered a copycat of an enumerated firearm thus banned.

Why does this effing liberal sewage pit of a state make things so damn hard to enjoy.

Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I ordered it friday and they did not have a blem model on sale. Of course this evening my transferring FFL sent me an email questioning the legality because of it not being a heavy barrel. I sent them the MSP rulings list where it clearly says the Proto model is good to go and the Engage Armament thread where MSP also said in writing because of the cosmetic differences (AKA the charging handle location) it is not considered a copycat of an enumerated firearm thus banned.

Why does this effing liberal sewage pit of a state make things so damn hard to enjoy.

So Brownells will ship these to MD now?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Mine is sitting @ Fedex Hagerstown, I am impatiently waiting for it.

I called Brownells first and they had no problem doing it, to quote them "we want to make a sale" :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2013

Simple... You aint meant to enjoy stuff. Only gooberment bootlickers who do what our nannies in annapolis says is meant to do that :rolleyes:

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    6 lbs 8 ounces empty :drool: (according to my refrigerant scale) It feels like a damn toy :rasp:

I could not imagine how wild an original AR-10 in full auto had to be.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I might do a G2S trigger once they are back in stock but externally I will be leaving it alone.

Simple, plain, spartan and something that sticks out like a sore thumb because it looks like nothing else in common circulation :)

All the reviews saying the elevation is way off are spot on. windage is fine, made some respectable groups, only about 18" lower than where it was aimed for :lol2:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    shoots like this?

I might do a G2S trigger once they are back in stock but externally I will be leaving it alone.

Simple, plain, spartan and something that sticks out like a sore thumb because it looks like nothing else in common circulation :)

All the reviews saying the elevation is way off are spot on. windage is fine, made some respectable groups, only about 18" lower than where it was aimed for :lol2:[/QUOTE

sort of makes you feel like you are shooting these?

Attachments

• droopypistol.jpg
      droopypistol.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 303
    • droopygun.jpg
      droopygun.jpg
      3.7 KB · Views: 251

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Always loved the Proto charging handle. How hot does that charging handle get after some sustained firing?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I could see 1-2 30 round dumps not being a problem. If your going to play machine gun it will get toasty rather fast. Where the gas tube and key come together is about where the 'trigger' is located.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    A minor ding on Brownells. the front sight post would not budge at all. Whoever initially installed the front sight post got ham fisted with it and bunged up the threads. Today I stopped by the LGS on my way home to get the official tool and luck on my side they had a few on the wall. Got the post removed and cleaned out. Threaded back in with out the detent plunger/spring and it would not go any farther than where it came as delivered...

Have a set of 8-36 taps from having fixed a damaged hole on my first Henry. Cleaned a bit of trash out of the hole using a bottom tap and touched up the threads on the sight post with a file. Generous brake cleaner applied and a drop of oil as it went back together. It now threads in and out like it should :thumbsup:

I also slightly tweaked the detent spring 'ears' that keep the charging handle latched to make them not push so hard on the receiver and make it less stiff to break the latch tension.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Oh I know. It still has plenty of 'latch', just not so severely harsh/stiff like it was before. Felt like the finger grab was going to break off it was so stiff. The receiver has the detent pockets in it but over time I could see the spring ears wearing a groove into the receiver because of the small contact area.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Stole the Geissele G2S from another gun that does not see much daylight and swapped it for the stock mil-spec trigger, much nicer now.

I also added two layers of gaffers tape across the side of the receiver where the brass strikes it and that made a difference on the ejection pattern. Before it would ping off the receiver and go at a 45 degree trajectory behind and to my right. Hitting the softer tape surface it moves at a 90 degree angle and 9 of 10 will go right into my catch basket now :)

Shoots good, for an otherwise 'bought' rifle with no special accuracy enhancements, basic iron sights and shooting plinker grade 55 grain FMJ bulk junk it has more than surpassed my expectations for accuracy and so far has run 100%.

If CW-2 comes to SoMD and wants to invade the homestead this would be first choice for a grab n go firearm. The 9mm AR feeding 124 grain FMJ's would be a close second.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Brownells has discontinued these but for now is offering as a matched set the upper and lower receiver for $300. Kicking myself for not getting a blem model when they had them in stock for what seemed like an eternity.

So my plan B is picking up a Colt Socom barrel assy, silver solder a three prong on the end to get 16+ inches, A2 stock and whatever I can find for a handguard. The serial number was on the invoice they sent me, from my first one last year to this new one they are only 289 units apart. Like my CMMG MK-9's that were bought 5+ years apart and they are within a couple hundred units of each other.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    They are still available on GB and they aren't going to get any cheaper. When I bought mine they were going for under 1K so if you want one, now is the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom