• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I am interested in picking up an air rifle for backyard target shooting and small game like squirrel. I have no experience with air rifles and I see there are Co2, PCP, and pump. I am somewhat familiar with pump but not Co2 or PCP.

Which type do you prefer and why?

Kyler

Apr 4, 2016
    Keedysville
    you can get some decent and cheap PCP rifles but the cost for a tank to refill them can be as expensive as the rifle - or more.

CO2 might be the best way to get started. I have a break barrel (aka springer) and got tired of the weight and cocking it. I recently bought a high end PCP.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Gas charged break barrel is a great starter rifle. A .22 will knock down most critters and feel more consistently accurate to me. I have a side cocking RWS Dianna and like the break barrels better. I did notice that my sons plastic Gamo .22 isn't as accurate as my wood stocked one.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm with Ranchero, prefer the break barrel type of rifles. Nitro Venom is a good one to look at in .22.

PCPs are great but pricey and too much extra crap for them for me. Had some and sold them off as I prefer the simplicity of on that only takes the rifle and a thing of pellets.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    Agree with the break barrels for new-b's. Multi pumps take too long for follow up shots, CO2 is great for ripping paper but has to be around 75 deg and warmer for max performance. Break barrels, once you get efficient with them are powerful enough, more consistent and depending on point of impact, usually deadly with one shot, IMHO. And needless to say, gas pistons far out perform springers. And with the new breakers with the 10 round mags, all you have to do is cock it, aim and shoot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom