• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    I just ran into a major issue that I would like to consult with you all on.

Last week I did paperwork at my LGS for a regulated rifle and a lower. Both items on the same paperwork.

This week I tried to buy another lower - knowing that the pickup date would be after October - but was denied and told that I cannot even do paperwork on another lower because it is too close to the date of the paperwork I did last week.

Up until this point I was under the impression that you can purchase as many regulated firearms as you want as long as each one is picked up 30 days after the last. Can anyone who has knowledge of the laws in place here please comment.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Thats the way it should be, but in your case, you'd be waiting 60 days from the first pickups since you did 2 on the same paperwork.

Maybe the FFL just chooses to not allow further paperwork per their own policy

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    The 30 day clock starts once you pick up the previous item.

At best you could see if they would let you purchase the firearm, but I guess the store doesn't want you to buy it and not be able to do the paper work until after 10/1. Essentially that paper work can not be submitted until you pick up the other firearm.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    The 30 day clock starts once you pick up the previous item.

At best you could see if they would let you purchase the firearm, but I guess the store doesn't want you to buy it and not be able to do the paper work until after 10/1. Essentially that paper work can not be submitted until you pick up the other firearm.
    Ahhhh....purchase order?

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    You should have up until sept. 22 with an 8 day release.

Some shops are going longer.

The issue is that I had the lower shipped to this LGS :(((

never thought it would cause any issues. I asked them if I could wait til the last week of sept to do the paperwork, but they are still being iffy about it

Just my luck to become a gun enthusiast 6 months ago lol ... perfect timing right.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Go to a different FFL for the lower. On the paperwork, when asked if you've purchased a regulated firearm in the last 30 days, say no (assuming you haven't), because "purchase" means take possession. Then make sure you wait 30 days before you pick up the second lower. If you pick up the rifle and first lower at the same time, you'll need to wait 60 days to pick up the second lower.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I overheard a FFL tell a customer the same thing yesterday. "30 days between paperwork submissions" is what he said.

I think he was wrong, but I was not involved in the discussion.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I overheard a FFL tell a customer the same thing yesterday. "30 days between paperwork submissions" is what he said.

I think he was wrong, but I was not involved in the discussion.

I'm never surprised when I hear these stories. I am amazed however that these people are even able to stay in business with how little they seem to know about the policy and law surrounding the product(s) they sell.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    pay the extra cash, get it shipped to another FFL who knows the law. paperwork can be filed any time, your pickup dates are the things that matter (plus the FFL keeping your lower in a safe, but come on, a stripped lower doesnt take up much space!!!)

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Wouldn't this normally be a problem because the ND is only good for 30 days. If everything was running on schedule, you wouldn't be able to pick up the 3rd item before its 30 days passes.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    same thing Hagerstown barracks told us Monday evening to a guy buying ar from me,i told to answer yes because he did purchase a handgun 3 weeks prior and that msp usually puts a date on the 77r release after this date( 30 days) later from other date,trooper said I was wrong,then when he asked to see the handgun safety course number because the purchaser had it memorized trooper said he has to see it. I told him when they do background check they verify the number to begin with so he said give me your hunter safety course card and scratched out the other number and put hunter safety course number, I told him that he was wrong and if you read the form as he told me to do it says after January 2002 for hunter safety course to count and his was at least 25 years old, we left and I said you may get your paperwork back and you may not.

yournamehere

Feb 27, 2013
    Carroll County
    Have your FFL call MSP for verification of the law. It's is perfectly legal to submit the paperwork now. You only have to wait 30 days between pickups not paperwork submittal.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    i recently bought a lower after purchasing a pistol and they told me to mark yes and put the date i bougt the pistol. i assume that when i pick up the lower and they see that the date is 30 days after i bought the pistol, it will be ok.

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    pay the extra cash, get it shipped to another FFL who knows the law. paperwork can be filed any time, your pickup dates are the things that matter (plus the FFL keeping your lower in a safe, but come on, a stripped lower doesnt take up much space!!!)

I live in Ellicott City. Do you know of a relatively nearby place I can get it shipped to that "knows the law" so I do not need to deal with more hassle.

I just want my lowers.. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom