• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am arguing with an anti-gun person who insists that in 1986 restrictions barring people who live in different states and want to sell each other a firearm don't have to go through a federal firearms license dealer for a background check anymore. He's making the case people can sell across state lines now without having to go through a background check, which I believe is false. I pulled up the information on the website for the ATF and posted it but he is denying saying it's been removed. Claims to be an expert in debating gun nuts and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. The only exceptions that I found wer people shipping guns to themselves in a different state, but in their name. Shipping someone a gun has a loan for a sporting activity such as hunting or trap shooting, and limited to long guns, not handguns he is talking about which are used in most gun crimes. And the exemption for shipping a gun to a family member as part of an inheritance through a will. Those are the only exceptions I know of. Thanks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The FOPA of '86 , among other things , allows people to purchase Rifles and Shotguns from FFL in any state ( provided legal in both the FFL's jurisdiction , and buyer's home jurisdiction ) .

Private persons from different States must involve an FFL , but said FFL may be based in either State.

For background , under the previously applicable portions of GCA68 , it was possible only for contiguous States, under certain circumstances . The FOPA made it presumptive fot any State .

( The Hughes Amendment to the FOPA deals only with Machineguns .)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Transferring/Shipping/Possession of Firearms: 4.May I lawfully transfer a firearm to an individual who resides in a different State? What if the individual resides within the same State?Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.govand http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. For example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)(A).In regard to transferring firearms between individuals residing in the same state, any person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of the State where he resides as long as he or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Please note that there may be State and local laws that regulate firearm transactions. Any person considering acquiring or transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local firearms restrictions. A list of State Attorney General contact numbers may be found at http://www.naag.org/.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom