• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have searched and could not find anything specific so thought I would ask.

Is there a capacity limit for BB guns? I found this:

Crossman DPMS Full Auto SBR BB Gun

The detachable magazine holds up to two CO2 cartridges and 25 BBs per load.

Just curious if the magazines are legal for good old MD and it's crazy gun laws.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Yes, they are legal. Air guns are not firearms and are not regulated by the Federal Government and not regulated in Maryland although there are rules with regards to hunting with them.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Sadly, they're regulated in Montgomery County the same way as firearms
    Not entirely. As an example, under Montgomery County weapons laws, "A person must not possess, exercise control over, use, carry, transport, or keep a rifle, shotgun, or pistol, if the person"...blah, blah, blah. This part and many other parts of MoCo weapons laws do not include air guns even though an air gun is included in the definition of "gun" or "firearm". Unless a MoCo law includes gun, firearm or air gun in the wording, then air gun is exempt. Another example, MoCo law states "It is unlawful to give, sell, rent, lend, or otherwise transfer any rifle or shotgun to a person under the age of 18 years unless the relationship which exists is that of parent and child, guardian and ward, or adult instructor and pupil, or unless the transfer is in connection with a regularly conducted program of marksmanship training." Since an air gun does not meet the MoCo definition of rifle or shotgun, air guns are excluded from this law.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Not entirely. As an example, under Montgomery County weapons laws, "A person must not possess, exercise control over, use, carry, transport, or keep a rifle, shotgun, or pistol, if the person"...blah, blah, blah. This part and many other parts of MoCo weapons laws do not include air guns even though an air gun is included in the definition of "gun" or "firearm". Unless a MoCo law includes gun, firearm or air gun in the wording, then air gun is exempt. Another example, MoCo law states "It is unlawful to give, sell, rent, lend, or otherwise transfer any rifle or shotgun to a person under the age of 18 years unless the relationship which exists is that of parent and child, guardian and ward, or adult instructor and pupil, or unless the transfer is in connection with a regularly conducted program of marksmanship training." Since an air gun does not meet the MoCo definition of rifle or shotgun, air guns are excluded from this law.

But you are missing the MoCo law against guns the "expel a projectile" by any means

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I don’t know but I may or may not have one! I may or may not have purchased and had it delivered to Germantown area. I may or may not have played with it in my back yard. I may or may not have had a smile on my face.

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I don't have a clue what you are talking about, can you elaborate?

It doesn't read exactly like that, but is close. It pertains to Discharge of a Gun (under definitions an Air Gun is a "Gun" which expels a projectile) In order to be lawful you need to meet a bunch of conditions.

It's in the below section of law:
    Montgomery County Code Part II Local Laws, Ordinances, Resolutions, Etc. Sec. 57-4. Discharge of guns in the urban area.

Go to the below link then to each subsection I listed
    http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/montgom/appendix/appendixfcountylawsapplicabletomunicipal?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:montgomeryco_md_mc$anc=JD_AppendixF

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks for the responses. It is what I thought but, was curious and wanted to make sure. I moved to Frederick County long ago after returning to the areas (originally from Frederick County actually) to get away from the silly stuff in MoCo.

Thanks again,

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    I see. Very strict even in the suburban area's. Not a problem here in the burb's of AA county, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom